Future Wargames

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Future Wargames

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd like to take on someone else after my current game, win or lose. I've been researching 40K species and rules, and I'd love to see an expanded 2v2 fight or something along those lines (even a 1v2 match would be reasonable if the '1' has numerical superiority). For shorter duration games, I know I have a d6 around here somewhere, and I can act as an arbiter (or DM, or whatever), once I have a better understanding of the rules.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Future Wargames

Post by Mikey »

Works for me. I'm still waiting for a taker in an "intro" match, and if that doesn't pan out, I don't mind taking on someone with more experience... I don't mind losing, as long as the loss helps me get better for the next time...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...I don't mind losing, as long as the loss helps me get better for the next time...
Same here. Though, I have no intention of losing. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I dunno. You wanna try the into match with Mikey Tsu?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sure. I imagine I can get my ass kicked in two games simultaneously without too much difficulty. :)

Are the stats for the Tau or Eldar as readily available as the IG and Space Marines? For the sake of simplicity, we should probably stick with IG and SM for the starting games, but I'd like to try my hand against or as some of the other races at some point. As I said, I'm sure I can find a d6, and with the rules in front of me, I can serve as the third party when you want to play, sunny.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Unlike other things you don't need a 3rd party for warhammer any more than you do for chess. I'm just doing it for you guys because you don't know the rules yet.

As for getting the stats, reference pages like I showed are availible. But particularily the Eldar are defined more by their special rules than the numbers on those pages.

Though I'd say WH40K books are some of the most common texts to find on any even moderatly shady file sharing network.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

sunnyside wrote:Unlike other things you don't need a 3rd party for warhammer any more than you do for chess. I'm just doing it for you guys because you don't know the rules yet.
Yeah, but doing the dice rolls ourselves would be a conflict of interest. I trust Reliant, and Mikey, but there'd surely be questions if dice rolls kept coming up as winners for a certain side. Do you have a link to one of these 'online dice roll' sites?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Hmmmm, the one I liked, Irony dice, seems to be down.

I poked around a bit and found something else that stores all the rolls as a blog. Nice because it won't flood your e-mail the way sending e-mails for every roll does.
You can register at
https://hamete.org/dserver/dice-register
and then go to
https://hamete.org/dserver/joinlogdice
and join log 56
I think I can mess with stuff a little as I set it up. But you'd know that nobody else is.

Also if you wanted to play Mikey as Tau or Eldar that would be doable. I'd just pick units for now that don't have a mound of extra rules.

If you think some units are particularily cool you could pick some from
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/gallery/1/
http://uk.games-workshop.com/tau/reference/1/
or
http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/gallery/1/
http://uk.games-workshop.com/eldar/reference/1/

You can't just use any old unit in combat patrol though. The biggest limitations being
-no models with 3+ wounds
-no models with a 2+ armor save
-no vehicles that have front+side+rear armor that adds to over 33.

Same goes for Mikey I suppose if you'd like a different army to try out.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I love the Tau. That was the army i was considering before the Necrons.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think sticking with the IG and Marines is a good idea for a start, and then maybe getting into other races. The ony issues I could see would be with Eldar or Dark Eldar because of the huge quantity of special rules, as Sunny mentioned.

I know they've been retconned out of the universe, but I'd love to play some Squats!
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Geez squats are long gone. Actually I'd kind like to see hwo Mikey handles the IG force against the Marine force. Anybody feel like picking a side and slapping down a rhino?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

sunnyside wrote:Geez squats are long gone.
I know - written out after second or third edition, right? Too bad, exo-armor and tanks with the biggest guns in the Imperium - what's not to like?
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Tau Empire is great to play. They have something for everything and most of all... Ranged fire that can eat up anyone!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Tau? Pfft, a mere minnow to the great shark that is the Imperium.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"