Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

Post by sunnyside »

Do you want them to move up on the hill or try and stay behind it. If they stay behind the hill they'd probably be able to shoot a couple of the further out veterans. Moving on top of it would let them fire on them pretty freely, but would of course expose them to missiles and squad 1.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I wanted them to stay behind the hill, and take shots at the exposed veterans.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Ok jumping forward the assault marines get their pistol sights on 4 of the veterans.

Since they moved each bolt pistol shoots once as do the plasma pistols.

Lets start with the exciting plasma.
Marines have ballistic skill 4 so only need 3's to hit. but 1's with plasma pistols can kill them
2, 2
well never mind

4 bolt pistols then
the s4 bolt pistols only need 3's to wound t3 guardsmen
and the armor piercing bullets fly right through their flak armor so 3 dead guardsmen.

Reliant would likely choose to remove the 3 regular guys, I'll pull them out. Leaving no targets for the regular marines if any of them could could have gotten LOS on the veterans (note that they can't disembarc from rhinos from the front and have to set up right by it. Though you can flip a transport around to drop them off closer, but that exposes the transports weaker rear armor.

The rhino fires its storm bolter at squad 2 (better than a bolter, not as good as the heavy bolters)
Ok nothing there.

For now the regular marines have nobody in range. however the storm bolter being in range of squad 2 means that if they sit still the marines with bolters could shoot squad 2 next turn. Or of course they could move normally and such.

Now one last thing. If a squad has take 25% casualties at the end of the shooting phase there is a chance they'll decide to fall back to a safer position. Possibly one far far away. This requires a leadership test. Roll 2 dice, add them together and hope it's lower than the units leadership along with modifiers.
1,5 That's lower than the pretty steady Ld8 of the veteran sarge so he keeps his men in line as they watch their friends turn into swiss cheese.

Alright reliant is up
By the way do you guys prefir the big or little picture sizes?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, Reliant has said a couple of times that he can't see the grid numbers on the smaller maps, so I guess the larger ones would be preferable.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Its not that i cant see them, I cant see how far an inch is in relation to the grid.

anyway. Squad #2 take a shot at the assault marines. Move the veterans west, squad #1 east. Bring the missile launchers north east.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The larger maps should still make that easier, right? There's a distance key superimposed on the map - just do what I do and use your thumb and forefinger to measure distances. :)
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Launcehrs move
5,4 so 5 inches(or they could obviously move less)

Squad 1

Ok everybody in squad 2 has LOS on an assault marine and all are within 24" so they all fire.

lets do lasguns first. 8 of those
4,4,2,3,5,3,3,4 4hits
lasguns are only s3 against T4 marines so need 5s to wound them
2,3,6,3 1
and the marine gets their armor save
1 (remember they want to roll 3 or higher on the table tsu would roll this)
so one dead assault marine from single shot lasguns blasts(they shoot double at 12" or less).
Next the plasma gun. on a 1 the guardsman is in trouble on a 4+ he hits.
imperial plasma is s7 so they only need a 2 to wound.
and the plasma makes a mockery of even the space marines armor, no save
so a second dead marine

finally the heavy bolter
needs 3s
armor saves
3,6 so their armor holds against that.

Now I know you didn't order it, but I'm guessing it's just that you got confused as to what troops had. In the command squad only those two red guys have flamers. The others have lasguns they might as well fire at the assault marines. (at slightly over 12" range do single shot)
1,3 well nothing but it was worth a shot

alright 2 marines out of 6 is over 25% so they have to check leadership. Note that unlike other forces space marines always regroup after falling back, but they can still temporarily think they're just going to die where they are and fall back for a turn.
5,3 whew! That would have sent many other troops packing but Marines have ld8 standard so they hold.

Tsu is up.

Reliant. You can see the scale bar in the middle of the map right? With the 6" 12" 24" and 36" marks?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ouch. So much for bad-ass power armor and genetic engineering, eh? :P

I'd like my regular marines to go ahead and fire at squad #2, and the Rhino to fire at the command squad.

If they can make it, I'd like to jump what's left of my assault marines 12" to I-3, and do an assault on squad #2.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

You've had a heavy machinegun pounding on you for 3 turns and you just took a whole lot of lasgun and plasma fire.

Regular marines fire long range (sarge with his pistol and the flamer guy are out of range).
need 3's to wound.
bolter round rip through the flak armor so 2 dead guards.

Rhino fires at the command squad
2 hits
2,1 Oh the indignity. Just flesh wounds.

Now the assault marines could shoot at squad #2 and still assault. (Pistols and assault weapons are the only things that let you do that). However you didn't mention it and there is actually a valid reason you might not want to do so. It might blow your charge because.

1. I would assume reliant would remove the guys closest to the assault marines, possibly resulting in not being able to make contact.
2. It isn't always a bad thing to blow an ld test. If you shot them and they fell back you'd almost surely be out of charge range, and then might regroup and shoot you on the next turn.

And if you don't get to charge you'll get some plasma from the vets and some heavy bolter rounds from squad 1 up your heiny.

Anywy they do, just barely, make it into assault, outnumbered 2 to 1 though. Marines have a higher initiative than guardsmen so they attack first.

The sargent wades in with his power sword, making 4 attacks. having a higher weapon skill than guardsmen so he needs 3's to hit
ouch. Marines are a hefty S4 againt T3 guards so 3's to wound
power weapons ignore armor so 3 dead guards.

The rest of the squad swing their chainswords
8 hits
4 wounds
and for once the flak armor is good for something as it can gum up chainswords. On a 5 or a 6 a guardsmans armor saves him
1,1,6,2 1 saves. so 3 die

This leaves 2 guards trying to stab the marines with their bayonets. Needing 4s to hit

Ok so the marines inflicted (many) more wounds on the guards, so they lose the combat and have to test Ld to not run modifiers are
-under 1/2 strength -1
-outnumbered as much as they are -2 and they only have ld7 to start with.
3,2+0 = 5
they break. Though in this case its more that they had a sudden burst of common sense as I think we all know how this would turn out. Now they have to roll to escape the marines. this is a d6 added to their initiative value. The guards have to beat the marines to actually get away.

guards 2+3=5 marines 3+4=7 nope. So the guards are either killed when they turn their back or they drop their weapons and run for it. Either way squad 2 is out of the battle.

Finally consolidation. Tsu can move his guys up to 3" as they reorganize after the battle. This could contact another unit to fight but none are anywhere near.

Hmmmm. I should have mentioned that earlier. Just to avoid slowing this up I'll just guess that they'd stay behind the hill but scoot up and over toward the command squad and out of possible veteran unit sight lines. Feel free to suggest something else Tsu if you get here before reliant posts his move. And in the future whenever someone assaults they should specifiy where they would consolidate to if they win.

Oh and remember that you can move along the "1" row on the map. Go ahead and walk all over the letters up there if you want.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

You interpreted my intentions correctly, sunny. :wink:

I didn't know about the consolidation after assault ability. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

EDIT: do the missile launchers have a minimum range?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Some weapons in the game do have minimum ranges but those particular missiles aren't one of them.

Though if you use fragmentation warheads too close you could kill your own guys. However unless they're in a tight cluster you'd do better hitting marines with shaped charge armor piercing missiles, known as Krak missiles in 40K (either type can be fired any turn).

I should also remind both of you that when assaulting someone in difficult terrain, i.e. woods, you have to roll for movement even if they're just at the edge. Making for a fair chance you won't be able to land the assault if you're further away than an inch or two.

Also when assaulting someone in terrain like a woods the defenders get to attack first. Though the assault marines have grenades that let them attack simultaniously with the defenders.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

shit.

move the command squad 6 inches to the west either E or D 2...i think....

veterans move east, full movement.

missile launchers north east.

move squad #1 east as well.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

... Ok

missiles

command

squad 1

I checked angles and ranges, but there isn't any shooting to be done.
Also a couple things. The movement rolled on difficult terrain wasn't enough to get more than two guys in the woods. So I kept them from actually going in. With only 2 in you wouldn't be getting bonuses for being in the cover but it would hurt your movement on subsequent turns.

I also bunched guys together a little. This is to avoid making it easy to consolidate into new combats.

Though one rule is that if you wipe out everybody in th first combat turn the consolidation distance is d6. Sometimes people get confused in the carnage and sometimes they just plow through at full speed.

Tsu is up.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Wait since i Used edit maybe this isn't showing up as "red" for Tsu. Lets see if this helps.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okay, if I'm measuring the distance correctly, I'll jump the assault marines 12" to the very western edge of G-1, then assault the missile launchers in E-1. If not, I'll revise.

If the marines can pull that off, I'll move the Rhino 5" north into the lower part of G-4, and the regular marines 6" north-east into H-4 , and have the Rhino and the regular marines fire on the veterans. Again, if the assault marines can't do their thing (if I'm off on the measurement), I'll re-think this as well.