Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

Post by sunnyside »

Tsukiyumi wrote:If I'm getting this correctly, I'll place my Rhino at F9 with the regular marines inside.

Now we wait for Reliant to decide his placement, right?
Yup I think you've got it! So you're setting up in the top part of the map reliant since Tsukiyumi is taking the bottom. Remember that the hill in the middle blocks line of sight. So something at F2 wouldn't be able to see or shoot at the Rhino at F9.

The bushes to either side of the hill don't block LOS though. It's all above in the post with the map.

Anyway just to avoid the risk of you overcompensating due to Rochey's advice:

Having the marines charging your guys is a bad thing. But hiding with your head in the sand won't make the scary marines go away. Only lots of trigger pulling will do that.

A key example of this in a unit is the 5 man command squad with the two flamers. They could run away all game. But that isn't doing any good. The best use of them is to get about 5" away from a bunch of marines and give them a napalm bath. If the flames don't deal with the marines the squad will probably get charged the next turn. However they may have already done enough damage that it's worth losing them. Also ideally the squad was positioned so the marines charging them are moving further from the other IG and will be sitting ducks next turn.

You face a similar decision with the hardened veterans with their infiltrating set up and their medium to short range plasma weaponry.

Also for both of you the assault range on the assault marines is, at maximum, 18 inches (12 inches from a jump in the movement phase followed by a 6" charge in the assault phase). Though if the target they're charging is in cover there is a chance they'll get slowed down in the assault phase to a minimum of 1 inch.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'd love to get in for a tune-up/novice match, too, Sunny. I'm very familiar with the WH40k universe, just not with the mechanics of the tabletop game. In fact, the closest I ever got to it was WH and WH40k (it's new) RP.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:I'd love to get in for a tune-up/novice match, too, Sunny. I'm very familiar with the WH40k universe, just not with the mechanics of the tabletop game. In fact, the closest I ever got to it was WH and WH40k (it's new) RP.
Well you just need an opponent then. You could just do the same battle the other guys are. Anybody want to play Mikey? Which army would you like?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think I'd like to try the IG, but I'm flexible.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

There are people around who might want to play but wouldn't be in this thread. If you know somebody you want to play with you might want to shoot out a PM. Actually I'll just start another thread. That way they could just jump in with the deployment and then we can roll with the battle.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Cool. Again, I must reiterate that I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics. I assume that once we have a taker, we begin by deciding an initial deployment?

*EDIT* Nevermind. :oops: Just re-read your instructions to Tsu and Reliant.
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:Cool. Again, I must reiterate that I'm unfamiliar with the mechanics.
I know. I'm assuming your opponent won't either. But that in a day or so you will.

Something that might help. You can get reference sheets from the company with all the numbers regarding weapons and stats and such.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/spacemarin ... e-shet.pdf
http://uk.games-workshop.com/imperialgu ... -sheet.pdf

I'll try to reference the numbers at first. There are tables in the rulebook that reference them. But usually they break down to a simple equation.

I.e. when wounding you need to roll 4+target toughness-weapon strength so when a s3 lasgun hit a T4 marine you need to roll 5s. When a s4 bolter round slams into a T3 guardsman the marine player needs to roll 3s.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

TX!
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Duskofdead wrote:Wargames meaning tabletop games? Aren't there a lot of videogames these days that basically converted tabletop games over to digital format without the need for paper, maps, tables etc.?
I'd be up for playing that one of these days. I need Soulstorm though.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'll go with one guardsmen squad at C2, one at J2, and the command squad a F2.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'll place the assault marines at I-9 in the forest.

Now, I guess you just need to place the veterans and rocket launchers, Reliant. This is going to prove difficult, I think. :D

PM Sunny about the veterans' placement, unless you don't plan to use the "infiltrator" ability; don't give away the surprise of where they are if they're on my side of the map. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Hmm lets see....1 Rocket launcher at H3 or H2 if i cant get the H3. One at D2/3...and i wasnt sure but if there is a third one, that can go at E 2/3. The veterans get their place on F1.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, it looks like I'm already screwed, since the rocket launchers can cover the entire map's area... Looks like I chose badly.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That was my intention, to lay down a missile "no mans land".
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I guess we'll have to see what sunny meant by "Next Reliant places the missile launchers(all together)". Does he mean at once, or is he saying they all have to be in one place?

Either way, we'll see how accurate those launchers are, eh? :D

EDIT: I get that we can move individual units, right? So the rocket launchers would be individual units as well?