Worst Trek technical site ever

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Worst Trek technical site ever

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh. My. God.
After looking around the internet to see was there any other Trek technical sites (I was bored), I came across this site.
The stuff on this site is just.....unreal. He refers to and references Graham and DITL on numerous occasions, but seems to pull these insane numbers and conclusions out of thin air. Let's take a look at some of his more hilarious conclusions, shall we?

Let's take a look at his fleet numbers page first.
during the two years of the Dominion War, Starfleet launched 129,463 major starships - enough to replace all of its losses throughout the 2-year long Dominion War in under three months - and the Federation's war production was at least four years from plateauing when the war ended (for those who doubt that the Federation has this kind of production capability, one has to look no farther than the immense Spacedock- and Starbase-74-type starbases - one example of the former has approximately one fifth the volume of the entire post-war Starfleet, and one example of the latter has two hundred times the volume of the former - and can be built at the rate of one every five years).
Uh....what the hell? This guy apparently thinks that the Federation can build over an eight of a million ships in less than two months. He also seems to think that Starbase 74 has 200 times the mass of that massive amount of ships, proving that he has no idea of scale.
Graham Kennedy has made a remarkably detailed estimate of how many ships from the major Alpha Quadrant navies of Star Trek have been involved in the Dominion War, and it is upon this estimate (published here), as well as the partial production figures given for the Cardassian Union in the DS9 Technical Manual, that I have based my own on. However, in general, I have increased their production run by an order of magnitude to "fill out" the range of NCC numbers shown. In addition, given how badly the Dominion and its allies fared during the war (especially given the need of the Jem'Hadar and the Breen to "hide" behind the Cardassians), I increased their losses by an order of magnitude or two.
Speaks for itself. He says he's using Graham's fleet numbers, yet increases them by an order of magnitude because he feels that the Breen and Dominion were "hiding behind the Cardassians". Did this guy even watch DS9?
It should also be noted that NCC numbers do NOT include Starfleet-chartered, civilian-operated starships (designated by "SS" instead of "USS"), a category which includes 70,000 NARs (research ships, surveyors, and scouts), 70,000 NDTs (starliners), 147,000 NGLs (cargo carriers and tankers), and 3,266,000 NGCs (uncrewed cargo drones). In addition, since the mid-2270s, Starfleet has operated a small (and naturally top-secret) number of NCVs (timeships) officially registered as NCCs. Low-endurance vehicles such as shuttlecraft, fighters, and system defense drones share the registry of the parent starship/facility. Federation facilities such as starbases (of which Starfleet maintains over 700, including at least 16 Spacedock- and 3 Starbase 74-type space stations), as well as the millions of starships registered to individual Federation members (such as the infamous Kobyashi Maru, NSS-3700) or even private citizens (typically warp shuttles), use different hull number prefixes as well.
Exactly what part of his intestines did he pull these numbers from?
UFP: 188,726 Major Starships

Klingon Empire: 5,194 Total Starships

Romulan Star Empire: 2,907 Total Starships

Cardassian Union: 703 Total Starships

Dominion: 5,993 Total Starships

Breen: 2,160 Total Starships
Anyone else noticing a slight inconsistancy here?

Well that was.....different. Maybe his technical pages will be better?
[snip]Turbophasers, Superphasers, Hyperphasers, and Megaphasers[snip]
Or maybe not.....
Note: For all of the understandable dismay of Star Trek fans over the portrayal of the Borg in Star Trek: Voyager, the relatively weak Borg vessels - even Cubes - encountered by Voyager in the Delta Quadrant does explain why only a single vessel was used to attack the Federation in each of the two invasion attempts seperated by six years, as well as why the Borg could not deal with Earth's resistance to assimilation by just sending more Cubes. In retrospect, given that Q wanted Picard and his crew to encounter a threat that they could not handle on their own in "Q Who?" [TNG], it is almost certain that the Borg starship they encountered then was not a typical example of a Borg Cube, but instead a hyperdisruptor-armed prototype that was also the Collective's largest and most powerful vessel by a very significant margin. Likewise, the six years between the first invasion by the Borg and the second could be justified as the time needed by the Collective to build the much larger and more powerful Cube seen in "First Contact." As such, even though the Borg may have large numbers of disruptor- and superdisruptor-armed starships, the Collective has never had more than a single example of the extra-large hyperdisruptor-armed Cubes at any given time - and both such Cubes constructed were lost in the Collective's two attempts to assimilate Earth.
Whatever....

He also goes off on some random tangent about how the Death Star isn't able to blow up planets, for no apparent reason. Seriously, in the middle of a topic about phasers, he starts talking about the Death Star. This isn't even a Trek V Wars page!
The third - and most powerful - type of enhanced energy warhead is the photon torpedo. This differed from its less sophisticated counterparts by dispensing with the scattering of ions altogether and instead utilizing a ZPE-enhanced matter-antimatter reaction to generate an explosive release of pure energy (photons). The first version of the photon torpedo, fielded no later than 2151 by the Klingons ("Sleeping Dogs" [ENT]), utilized a simple magnetic bottle charged with liquid ZPE-enhanced antideuterium.
Where the hell is he coming up with this stuff about ZPE?
And what does he have to say about quantum torpedoes?
Introduced in 2371, the quantum torpedo, like the ion torpedo, is based on the standard photon torpedo, but the newer weapon uses fluoronetic vapor to stabilize a much greater matter-antimatter surface contact than is achievable on a standard photon torpedo. This does boost the yield by 17.8%, but more importantly, it quadruples the M/AM reaction rate, confining its detonation time to 100 nanoseconds, and thus making directing its energy into a zero-point initiator practical - which in turn generates a energy potential 2,500 times that of a standard photon warhead within the zero-point field reaction chamber.
Riiiiiight.

The rest of his site is full of even worse examples of idiocy.
His galactic map, which he claims was inspired by Graham's, has the Federation controling around the same amount of territory as the Borg, and about ten times as much territory as the Klingons or Romulans.
In addition to transwarp, he also goes on about Superwarp, Hyperwarp, Ultrawarp, Phasewarp, Sidewarp and TimeWarp.
He claims that the Sovereign class is over sixteen and a half kilometres long.

Seriously, is this guy insane, or just pulling numbers out of his ass? Well, at least his site is good for a laugh.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Worst Trek technical site ever

Post by Teaos »

Hey I try to defend the Federation where I can but this guy is just an idiot.

The Federation has over 120k starships? It wouldnt be the Dominion war. It would be the Dominion blood bath.

Did not not take into account known fleet numbers and battle reports?

Or canon statements about the size of the Federation.

16 Moth*rFuck*ng kilometers long!!!!!!!!!!

The Federation this guy is portraying sounds like Deeps wet dream not the canon organisation we see.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

That is appauling. Simply appauling. Its just not intergalactically feasable.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Yes it is terrible, yes he is probably some uber leet nerd with dreams of being promoted to Captain so he can finally assume command of the Enterprise... but if the site is seen as a comical attempt some of it isn't too bad I suppose... I hope he does Starship designs too, I've always wanted to see what a Danube would look like with 20 Sovereign Style Nacelles connected with Intrepid Variable Geometry Pylons and a big uber cannon like the AGT Ent, since it has so many nacelles and a really cool gun thingy we will call it the Phase Dreadnought....

Edit:
On another note, at least he gives credit to Graham for coming up with the original work, even though he has butchered it so horribly beyond recognition...

Dear god... has anyone read passed the length of the Sovereign into its Warp speed...

And he says on his opening page that he is trying to reconcile what has been seen with Gene's vision...
Last edited by KuvahMagh on Sun May 25, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Kuvah: From the way it's written and the amount of time that would have been needed to make that site, I seriously doubt it's a parody.

Teaos: Hell, even Deep would draw the line at this stuff!
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Oh I know it wasn't intended to be funny, I'm saying that if you look at it from that point of view it is hysterical...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:shock:

I... don't know what to say. Has this guy watched any trek. What's a hyperphaser?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

this guy is wrong in so many ways it's not even funny.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote: Hell, even Deep would draw the line at this stuff!
Too far. Too far. :D
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

Looked at the paged faund a SW section. Looks like the guy massed up its ST wit SW.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

mlsnoopy wrote:Looked at the paged faund a SW section. Looks like the guy massed up its ST wit SW.
I just got an image of the scene from SW where Darth Vader reveals that he is Luke's father and asks him to join him, but replace Luke with Picard.

Vader: "Picard, my series is supirior"

Picard: "No it can't be true. That's impossible!"

Vader: "Check the ratings you know it to be true. Join me and together we will rule science fiction."

Picard "I'll never join you!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:lol:
Yeah, this guy has problems.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Looked at the paged faund a SW section. Looks like the guy massed up its ST wit SW.
Hmm, just found that. It's not a Trek V Wars page, it's just a Wars page and a Trek page. Both of them are similarly dumb, though he hasn't gone into as much detail on SW (thank God).
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

God, you couldn't do anything remotely like Trek with numbers like these! The Federation would never be the least bit threatened - how can you do any kind of compelling drama? Did he ever watch "In the Pale Moonlight," when Sisko was desperate to get the Romulans into the war? According to him, they're a backward third-rate power! Hell, our conclusion is that the Federation is damn lucky that every other power they've encountered is run by imbeciles, or else they'd be in deep poo!
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Hmm, just found that. It's not a Trek V Wars page, it's just a Wars page and a Trek page. Both of them are similarly dumb, though he hasn't gone into as much detail on SW (thank God).
Ya...Star Wars in inconsistant enough as it is without a guy like him messing things up. But I don't see how anyone could put the Soverign at anything more then maybe 1000 meters and even that's a stretch.