Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

Everything else
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda

Post by celeritas »

has anybody seen andromeda?

after finishing watching babylon 5, i've been looking for a new sci-fi series to start watching and i happen to notice that andromeda has a new complete box set out. is the series worth watching? i heard it starts strong but kind of fizzles out by the last season...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It started very good, but then, IIRC, they fired one of the writers.
To say it went downhill is an understatement. I don't know about the last few seasons though as I stopped watching it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It started very good, but then, IIRC, they fired one of the writers.
To say it went downhill is an understatement. I don't know about the last few seasons though as I stopped watching it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They didn't just fire one of the writers... they fired Rob Wolfe, the guy who created the show and Exec Produced it.

And yeah, it went downhill fast. Reached rock bottom eventually. Then it began to dig.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, I didn't know too much of the details.
The Wormhole
Ensign
Ensign

Post by The Wormhole »

I lost interest in Andromeda half-way through the first season. Really, it was pretty bad then. And everyone goes on about how that was the good season and it went downhill after that. Jeez, just how bad did that show get?
Putting the manatee back in humanity.
I Am Spartacus
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by I Am Spartacus »

I liked the actress that played the holographic representation of the ship, for reasons not suitable for a family friendly forum, but other than that I didn't bother watching much of it. Two of the main characters, that young white guy and the alien that looked like a walking badger, annoyed me to no end.
Martin
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by Martin »

Heh, I came to this section wondering whether to start an Andromeda thread but you just got in first!

Anyway, I would agree it was OK at the start but I don't think I've seen too many later ones, partly because of the times Channel 4 (I think it was) used to show them.

I seem to remember thinking the ship was often in an impossible situation but suddenly found some extra power from nowhere and everything was OK again. Obviously this kind of thing happens quite a bit in sci-fi but it just struck me that it happened noticeably in Andromeda and tended to dilute the dramatic effect of the plots. Or maybe that was just me...
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

Martin wrote:I seem to remember thinking the ship was often in an impossible situation but suddenly found some extra power from nowhere and everything was OK again. Obviously this kind of thing happens quite a bit in sci-fi but it just struck me that it happened noticeably in Andromeda and tended to dilute the dramatic effect of the plots. Or maybe that was just me...
lol i remember thinking the same thing when i would watch voyager and somebody would say "shields, down to 13%" and someone would reply, rather cryptically, "compensating..." and that would somehow solve the shields being at 13%.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

It lacked any real memorable characters, and when you don't care about the characters, you're not hanging onto much.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

It started out strong but there was little character development and most of the characters were generic. The captain is your typical tough leader. His second in command is a ace pilot/mercenary with a chip on her shoulder, the tactical officer is a tough guy, the engineer is a young cocky genius. The only unusual characters are the mysterious Trance Gemini, and Andromeda herself. Yes, the Andromeda is a character in the show. I loved that the ship had a physical avatar(remote android) and that she had her own personality. I think the next Trek series should try that.

In the series itself the first few seasons are dedicated to rebuilding the commonwealth. Around the mid-third and fourth season it gets bad. Through the fourth season the ability and resources of the crew fluctuate. In one episode the second in command leads a squadron of fighters into battle, but the episode before that when they could have used a squadron like that they were no where to be found. Sometimes the crew is over 400 other times its just the main cast. It can also be hard to follow.
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

so against everybody's advice, i went ahead and watched all of andromeda because i couldn't resist buying the slipstream dvd set.

the show started out really great and i really liked the first two seasons, though some episodes were reminiscent of the typical bad sci-fi plots that i've gotten used to over the years.

the 3rd and 4th season were mediocre but watchable; fluctuating crew complement and slipfighter squadrons and all were a bit of an annoyance as many of you have mentioned before.

the fifth season...wow. talk about ending on a weak note! clearly, the writers were suffering from lack of new ideas and a coherent sense of direction despite having a big story arc.

all in all, the series had a lot of potential. i actually got to like some of the characters even though they rarely deviate from their stereotypes. also nice to see Q playing somebody else on tv, as well as a bunch of x-files semi-regulars.

clearly, they were strapped for cash and they did the best they could, which wasn't all that bad. i only wish they introduced more recurring characters, particularly villians, to drive the story (much like DS9 used recurring characters extensively). recurring characters would be able to help drive a story with stronger, better defined political factions, which would give the series a some concrete factions, with clearer interconnecting interests.

the show might have benefited from exploring whether or not making a new commonwealth is even a good idea; something that i think the writers were trying to touch upon later in the series (with the emphasis on corruption and difficulty unifying the nietzscheans)

would i like to see a sequel? sure, but i'd rather see more babylon 5 or firefly. how about a movie? now that's an idea! if they could somehow fix their ending and the story-telling damage they did to themselves in season 5, that would be something!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I thought the characters were archetypal - part of what we love about 'Trek is the development of and interplay between individuals. Andromeda didn't leave any room for that. Unfortunately, it's plots were not strong enought o carry the show past that fact.

However, I do love me some Lexa Doig!!! :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
celeritas
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by celeritas »

yes, lexa doig did help carry the show.

i agree, the characters would have a tiny little character development plot that gets resolved either within episode or over the next episode and never mentioned again (beka valentine's flash addiction is probably the clearest example). as a result, it feels like they set themselves up for so much potential and then decide not to run with it.

as for trek, i disagree with the development of the characters. some of the newer episodes i think did a good job with developing their characters and the interplay between then, especially DS9. however, even on TNG, i felt that the show didn't do much to develop the characters apart from picard and data and maybe riker. but for la forge, troi, and beverly crusher, i felt they got totally sidelined with only occasional, usually bad, episodes devoted to them. this i thought was particularly true regarding crusher, who, i feel, rarely gets to do anything (and, as a result, wins personal my award for least interesting trek doctor ever). the heavy focus on picard and data was also one of the reasons i didn't particularly like st:nemesis, which i felt did particularly little with anybody else. it wasn't a terribly bad movie in my opinion, but i felt it was not very satisifying considering all i got to see of picard and data from first contact; i would have liked to see the other characters do something (like crusher; she at least turned on the EMH in first contact, but i can't remember one thing she did in nemesis). of course, there are exceptions, particularly with worf, who got a massive amount of attention to his character, partly due to his long tenure in the trek story line.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I see your point regarding the TNG films - to be fair the original films were somewhat similar, focussing on Kirk, Spock and McCoy to the exclusion of the others, but then that's what TOS was to a great extent.

And Crusher had a vast and central role to Nemesis - she did all the exposition on "thaleron radiation". :wink:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.