Star Trek Online

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Star Trek Online

Post by Duskofdead »

Anyone have any up or down thumbs on this yet? I know it's going to be an MMORPG, so my horror is that it's going to be like the SW Mmorpg.... firing phasersl ike crazy at a klingon and have to hit him 572 times to down him, to get experience points type crap.

I've heard good and bad things, but that's usual about MMOPRG's. You always have some people saying it's derivative and and just a re-skin of Everquest, and you always have other people saying "this one is different and novel, it's going to change it up a lot."

Personally, I think unless the thing feels REALLY Trek, and/or involves space combat to some degree, it won't interest me. If it's stand around macroing your tricorder skills while flirting with a Betazoid in town, no way.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think I'll stick to Bridge Commander, personally. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online

Post by Reliant121 »

Well it seems its under new management and has regained a new head of steam. they've altered it this time where every character has their own ship where as they used to have loads of people serving minor roles on board ship.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Far as MMOs go the original SWG (before the NGE upgrade) a lot of weapons had the uncanny ability to kill in one shot. But that was very rare and now even more rare since SWG changed. I would imagine you'd have to shoot things dozens of times.

Any good MMO by now knows that dungeons or instances are they're called are a must. That said I wonder what kind of bosses you'll fight. Also I'm wondering about the classic classes. I mean what can a tank be?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

They've sorta changed it. you cant really have a Dungeon when your commanding a Akira class. there are planet bound missions, yes, but it's now gonna be primarily in space. Sorta like a constantly online Bridge Commander. you can play either Federation or Klingon so far.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

How will a Star Trek MMORPG work? Will every used get their own ship? Or will users have to do missions together on one ship? That would be cramped.

I've never played an MMORPG, not even World of Warcraft. But I know how WoW works thanks to South Park.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

When it was under the control of Perpetual before they collapsed, it was gonna be a each man gets a character and then goes on missions with other characters all on one ship.

But Perpetual collapsed. Now it's under control of Cryptic (they did city of heroes or something like that). Now each person gets his own ship.

LOVE the avatar Nutso.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Probably going to do what SWG promissed. Guild owned and opreated Capital ships. They'll probably think of a new name for a guild. Like crew?

I'd be surprised if they had more than Fed and Klingons. No MMO that I can think of has three sides. But its time they changed that. Star Craft had the first 3 sideded RTS and now its pretty standard. Be cool to see more choices in MMOs.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Yeah i would love to see the Romulans, maybe the Cardies and possibly even the dominion. Borg would be pushing it though.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Borg would be to Uber for fair play. So would the Founders.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Reliant121 wrote:When it was under the control of Perpetual before they collapsed, it was gonna be a each man gets a character and then goes on missions with other characters all on one ship.

But Perpetual collapsed. Now it's under control of Cryptic (they did city of heroes or something like that). Now each person gets his own ship.

LOVE the avatar Nutso.
Thank you. That would be really nice. I'd pick an Oberth. Go on scientific missions, observing a planet's fauna.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thats if its avaliable. they havent published a list of avaliable ships. i'd go for a Nebula, Oberth, new Orleans or a Nova.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think I'll pick an.... Excelsior when it comes out.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

As if we didnt already know that deep :P
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Sounds like EVE Online: ST Edition. Does the Federation have a mining vessel?