Theory to why the Borg are unknowns until the 24th Century

Enterprise
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Theory to why the Borg are unknowns until the 24th Century

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

The Borg, before finally being destroyed, hacked into the mainframes of Starfleet's databases and wiped out all knowledge of them being on Earth. Even if they got their hijacked freighter for Transwarp, they still would have gotten a journey of decades, more if they didn't get transwarp. So, to keep the knowledge of the Collective out of a potentially assimilatedable species, they erased all data concerning them, starting from the Artic Outpost.

Thus, the Borg w*ould become somewhat of an urban legend in Starfleet.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Re: Theory to why the Borg are unknowns until the 24th Centu

Post by Duskofdead »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:The Borg, before finally being destroyed, hacked into the mainframes of Starfleet's databases and wiped out all knowledge of them being on Earth. Even if they got their hijacked freighter for Transwarp, they still would have gotten a journey of decades, more if they didn't get transwarp. So, to keep the knowledge of the Collective out of a potentially assimilatedable species, they erased all data concerning them, starting from the Artic Outpost.

Thus, the Borg w*ould become somewhat of an urban legend in Starfleet.
Despite the fact that I think Enterprise handled it rather clumsily, I think continuity isn't broken too much. Even if there was a record of what had happened, for one the record would have said "an unidentified species", not Borg. For two, reports from 1-2 centuries prior are always treated with skepticism, when they are remembered at all. Can you recall offhand a report of someone being attacked by Bigfoot in 1842, before the term Bigfoot became widely circulated? And, today, would you train navy officers what to do if they ran into Bigfoot?

Same sorta thing.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Good analogy.
Now, troops here's how you handle Bigfoot, give him a shoe in his size.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The analogy is humorous, but slightly flawed - it would be more analogous if Bigfoot attacked an army installation back in the day, and today soldiers had never heard of Bigfoot, much less doubt its existence.

If such a chain of events as SuperSaiyaMan12's proposal had taken place, I would expect that there would at least be an "urban legend" presence, rather than the Borg being completely unknown in "Q Who?"

However, his is as good an essay as I've heard to brush off B&B's clumsiness.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is also the fact that there is solid debre that they can look at and study. Also the fact they attacked the flag ship and Starfleet. Not smething that will be forgotten.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:The analogy is humorous, but slightly flawed - it would be more analogous if Bigfoot attacked an army installation back in the day, and today soldiers had never heard of Bigfoot, much less doubt its existence.

If such a chain of events as SuperSaiyaMan12's proposal had taken place, I would expect that there would at least be an "urban legend" presence, rather than the Borg being completely unknown in "Q Who?"

However, his is as good an essay as I've heard to brush off B&B's clumsiness.
There kinda was that. The Hansens, at least.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Is there an offical canon explanation for it?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Well this one may be going off the deep end but please bare with it in the spirit of fun speculation.

What if temporal investigations has intentionally aided in a coverup to minimize the damage done by the Borg by trying to interfere in our past? Including going back in time to minimize or alter or delete reports?
Last edited by Duskofdead on Tue May 13, 2008 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It possible but if you go with that why not go with them stopping the Borg going into the past anyway.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:It possible but if you go with that why not go with them stopping the Borg going into the past anyway.
Because that would create a whole NEW temporal incursion, which from a temporal prime directive standpoint is much worse than simply trying to clean up one that already happened and minimize its damage.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah but they could have used pixie dust and then there wouldnt be a problem...

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Duskofdead wrote:Well this one may be going off the deep end but please bare with it in the spirit of fun speculation.
Don't belittle yourself - at leas it's an explanation, which is more than we got from B&B. :roll:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Mikey wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:Well this one may be going off the deep end but please bare with it in the spirit of fun speculation.
Don't belittle yourself - at leas it's an explanation, which is more than we got from B&B. :roll:
I think these sorts of "what ifs" up in my head all day long, because the shows are off the air and they're not going to come back and give us anymore explanation than they already have. I just threw in that disclaimer because I didn't want someone to come in and start screaming that I provided no evidence, it's just idle speculation for fun.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

In the commentary for the show the writers suggested that Star Fleet didn't know these cybernetic creatures were Borg, since they never called themselves such, and Star Fleet also classified the whole situation.
Then again the writers didn't like the idea so were just playing devil's advocate.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Monroe wrote:In the commentary for the show the writers suggested that Star Fleet didn't know these cybernetic creatures were Borg, since they never called themselves such, and Star Fleet also classified the whole situation.
Then again the writers didn't like the idea so were just playing devil's advocate.
I agree the problems were studio/writer pressures related. But it is also strange that there is a wrecked craft on Earth that these creatures came from, and there was never any sort of follow-up. Sounds like a coverup.