If you were out of phase, wouldn't you die?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Autoerotic asphyxiation is the "pleasant" way to go, as opposed to rapid decompression. In the Tom Clancy novel Without Remorse, John Kelly, the main character, is a former Navy SEaL, and has a decompression chamber in his garage which he uses to torture a bad guy for information. He increased the pressure gradually until his body became used to the pressure, then would rapidly decompress until he screamed and gave up the information asked. The bad guy eventually dies from an embolism, or blockage of blood to the brain. The blockage was a piece of BONE MARROW!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Autoerotic asphyxiation is the "pleasant" way to go,
It has erotic in its name, of coarse its a nice way to die. It sounds like being lap danced to death.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Just wanted to add this to the discussion.

Being out of phase means you are unable to breathe air, and as the air does nothing to provide pressure to the outside (or inside) of your body, it would act precisely as you were in a vacuum - being inside or outside of the ship would be pretty irrelevant - as either way the air wouldn't be touching you. Literally. :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

So it is totally impossible in about 5 different ways.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Okay so if a technology takes you out of phase, the following would happen:

1) You'd be slowly spinning out of control, right through solid objects, the ground, the floor, other people, etc. And it would be really dark.
2) You'd be unable to see any of these objects, touch, smell, or in any way interact with them.
3) You'd asphyxiate and decompress.
4) You would die and become a gooey fleshy corpse floating forever through nothing and no one would ever know you were there.

Does that about sum it up?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Pretty much.

If matter cannot interact wouldnt that also mean the atoms in your body couldnt bond?

KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Presumably they would all be phased together so they would still work, in theory of course.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

How could they be phased tgehter but not with outside stuff. If that was true could they make it so you where in phase with air and your eyes were in phase with photons?

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So now your entire body falls apart in the literal sense, too. Lovely.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Hopefully the writers never use this idea again.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Another problem:
Gravitons (the theoretical particle of gravity) would also not be in phase with you, so you wouldn't feel any gravity. So you wouldn't fall through the floor... you'd fly through the walls and out into space.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No problem - effectively, you'd be in a vacuum already.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

You know, when they cooked this idea up in the first place I bet they thought it would be great...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I bet they didnt count on us...

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I bet they didnt count on us...
What? They weren't counting on an audience that wasn't brain-dead?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer