3%

Total votes: 30
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

The Big Four.....

Post by Granitehewer »

Hey
Apologies if this has already been dealt to death, but out of the alpha and beta quadrant powers, who do we think would be the ''power'' alongside the united federation of planets, klingon empire and romulan star empire to form ''the big four''? (Time Period is TNG and DS9)
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It depends on the period. Up to the Klingon invasion it was definately the Cardies. After the hammering they took then they dropped back a lot, to the extent that either the Breen or the Tholians probably took over that position - probably the Breen. A big problem is that we have very little information on the industrial capacity of the Tholians, Breen or Gorn, making it difficult to estimate their position in the AQ "league".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm in agreement with Seafort on this one.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll also go with Seafort's analysis on this one.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

okay, in that case, who would you prefer it be and why?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

look forward to reading everyones' views tomorrow, night all
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Cardassians, personaly. While powerful, they can be kept in check easy enough. Then there's the whole "the devil you know" bit to consider when it comes to the Breen.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Granitehewer wrote:okay, in that case, who would you prefer it be and why?
From an IU or OOU perspective? If it's the latter, the Tholians - they seem an interesting bunch, and having a non-humanoid race as a major power would certainly make for some interesting plot arcs.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I wen with the CU as well, with the same caveat as Seafort mentioned. As for who I'd like it to be, well:

The Tholians could make a more powerful ally, and diplomatic relations certainly seem to have been established by the time of DS9. However, there is a great possibility of misinterpretation, vague context, etc., between the UFP and a non-humanoid/non-organic race which could lead to ill will and broken treaties.

The Gorn were cast as "bad guys" initially, but what happened in "Arena" was obvously a set-up; they certainly appeared more rational and reasonable, aside from that and also established a diplomatic relationship with the UFP. There is no canon to back it up, but the impression I got is that they might be a weaker ally than the Tholians, if more reliable.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

The Miradorn are a bit of a random choice to throw in there are they not? Forgive my thickness but I don't remember much about them in the series, had a quick look at the image on the main site but doesn't jog my memory much.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'll go Tholian. Cardassians and Breen have had the shit beat out of them to much recently to be allowed a super power status.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm not sure any of them can really measure up to the Feds, Klingons or Romulans.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'm not sure any of them can really measure up to the Feds, Klingons or Romulans.
Good point. The "fourth power" isn't so much that as the best of the rest, probably capable of giving one of the Great Powers a fight, but incapable of putting up long-term resistance against a serious offensive. The way the Cardassians folded in WotW proves that.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Replying to colmquinn, The Miradorn were mentioned to have signed a treay with the dominion(alongside the tholians,romulans and bajorans)....whilst this may not be indicative of the influence or status of the miradorn-as the dominion may have just wanted to be more benevolently perceived by the inhabitants of the AQ&BQ to deprive the dominions' primary enemies of allies, it did however lead me to believe that they might be a power, plus miradorn raiders look awesome!!
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Seafort wrote:Good point. The "fourth power" isn't so much that as the best of the rest, probably capable of giving one of the Great Powers a fight, but incapable of putting up long-term resistance against a serious offensive. The way the Cardassians folded in WotW proves that.
Even two or three of them together would have a hard time facing down the Feds post war.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.