Doctor Who 30x04: The Sontaran Strategem

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Heh, Daleks scared the crap out of me as a kid. I used to watch Who cuddled up with my mum, with a cushion in my lap to hide my face when I needed to!

True story... my parents took me to a Dr Who exhibition once when I was very young. I was walking around oooing and ahhhing at the stuff... and then we went into a room and I was confronted with about four real live Daleks that turned around and wheeled over towards us.

I SCREAMED. I damn near crapped my pants right then and there.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

That had to... stink, Graham. Although the exhibition sounds cool. :)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Daleks never bothered me that much.
On the other hand, I used to be absolutely terrified of the opening credits. :lol:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Rochey wrote:The Daleks never bothered me that much.
On the other hand, I used to be absolutely terrified of the opening credits. :lol:
Me too.
Martin
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Re: Doctor Who 30x04: The Sontaran Strategem

Post by Martin »

The programme never really scared me but the Blackpool exhibition did, it was just the entrance into a very dark corridor with the theme music playing loudly, somehow it was really frightening.

I think my Aunt who took me was much more put out though, at she was at the time well under 60 and the man taking the money on the door said 'Pensioner, is it?' - she wasn't amused! :lol:
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re:

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:I wouldn't hold the Toclafane invasion against them. Those guys were pretty damn uber.
Yeah they were. Though 100 trillion years into the future they seemed down right stone aged. Even if say humanity started over 1000 times.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Re:

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Monroe wrote:
Rochey wrote:I wouldn't hold the Toclafane invasion against them. Those guys were pretty damn uber.
Yeah they were. Though 100 trillion years into the future they seemed down right stone aged. Even if say humanity started over 1000 times.
It was the end of the time, I'm betting they had used up most of the universe's resources by that point.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Re:

Post by Monroe »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Monroe wrote:
It was the end of the time, I'm betting they had used up most of the universe's resources by that point.
Well if I remember right at 100 Trillion AD proton decay is beginning ? So yeah that'd be right. What a scary prospect that would be. Depending on which theory the universe would continue going for some time longer but I suppose eventually even Time could decay.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Have you reached the end of Season 3 yet? That's where all this stuff becomes important.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Yeah I've been doing a marathon. I'm on episode 11 of season 4 now :P :)

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Yeah I've been doing a marathon. I'm on episode 11 of season 4 now :P :)
Ah - that's a good one that is. Not the best of the new series, but good.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Monroe wrote:Yeah I've been doing a marathon. I'm on episode 11 of season 4 now :P :)
Yeah that episode rocked :) loved seeing the what if world.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Monroe wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
Yeah that episode rocked :) loved seeing the what if world.
How do you feel about Donna so far?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Nutso wrote:How do you feel about Donna so far?
Well I finished the series today, started on B5 btw. And I've got to say I still think Donna was the worse out of the four companions I saw. I mean I never really met Sarah Jane but those three episodes she was in she did much better than Donna. I thought they should have killed her, amnesia was a cheap cough out.

-Remain Star Trek-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Well I finished the series today, started on B5 btw. And I've got to say I still think Donna was the worse out of the four companions I saw. I mean I never really met Sarah Jane but those three episodes she was in she did much better than Donna.
Absolutely - in the last two in particular, she was the only one whose reaction to the Daleks and Davros seemed genuine fear, rather than boredom. Of course, the backstory that she was there at the begining helped with the Davros aspect.
I thought they should have killed her, amnesia was a cheap cough out.
Indeed - until the "Doctor-Donna" nonsense started I was sure they were setting her up for another Chameleon Arch-esque reveal. Destroying Donna's human personality, hence "killing" her, and bringing Romana back to solve the pepperpot problem would have made a lot more sense.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.