Voyagers path

Voyager
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hurt was excellent, though the film was all style and no substance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I heard they're considering a new film adaptation of 1984. I'll see if I can find anything on that.

EDIT: Not much info to be found, but there's a lot of buzz about a 2009 release date... On a related note, there's also a projected release date of 2010 for Fahrenheit 451...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

What's Fahrenheit 451?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:shock: Really? I'd have thought you of all people would know. It's a book by Ray Bradbury with themes similar to 1984. The suppression of knowledge, spying on the people 24/7, etc.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

No, never heard of it actualy. :?
Well, time for a trip to the library, I think.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I've never read of it, but I've heard of it. The title is a reference to the ignition point of paper.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

You both MUST go out and read Fahrenheit 451 IMMEDIATELY! One of the greats of all literature! And much against my normal opinion of such things, Francois Truffaut's film adaptation (1966,) with great performaces by Oskar Werner and Julie Christie, was VERY well done.
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've not read 1984 either....i must take a copy out of the library. Mrs Wallace will likely be happy :P
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Yes those books are both must reads. For Reliant121 I"m sure you'll be able to save yourself a book report or two if you just read them now.

Rochey. Aren't you a teacher already?

Luckily as books go they're both fairly short. So is animal farm (another one of those books you really should read).

Also they're all fairly entertaining in their own right.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mikey wrote:You both MUST go out and read Fahrenheit 451 IMMEDIATELY! One of the greats of all literature! And much against my normal opinion of such things, Francois Truffaut's film adaptation (1966,) with great performaces by Oskar Werner and Julie Christie, was VERY well done.
Right, I'm off work tomorrow, so I think an excursion to the library is in order.
*wanders off to find his library card*
Reliant wrote:I've not read 1984 either....i must take a copy out of the library. Mrs Wallace will likely be happy
You should definitely pick up 1984. I'd rank it as one of my favourite books, personaly. Animal Farm (same author) is a very good book, also, about the failure of communism in Russia told as a story of a group of farm animals who seize control of the farm they work at, and they attempt to create an equal society. I'd suggest picking that up too if you can find it.
Sunny wrote:Rochey. Aren't you a teacher already?
Yep. History and biology. 1984 is something I recommend my students to read pretty much on a yearly basis.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Fahrenheit 451 is at least in the same boat (if not an upper deck) both for its quality as literature and for the political message. Bradbury is sometimes not easy to read, but it is true artistry.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

What's Fahrenheit 451?
I read it in English class. I it a rather disturbing view of the future.

It had a very low budget movie made about it once... not very good at all.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Fahrenheit 451 is a must-read. I've read the book and seen the movie. Very good book, there.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:
What's Fahrenheit 451?
I read it in English class. I it a rather disturbing view of the future.

It had a very low budget movie made about it once... not very good at all.
I thought Truffaut did a fair job of it.

And I'm a huge Bradbury fan in general - you know, one of the few true giants of sci-fi and all that... if you can muddle through Fahrenheit 451, I recommend The Martian Chronicles and Something Wicked This Way Comes.
as Bull offed Custer