Spacedock

The Original Series
Tholian_Avenger
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Spacedock

Post by Tholian_Avenger »

What is the benefit of the giant enclosed harbor of Space Dock?

Wouldn't a frame with rigging open to space be better or would the microcomets be to dangerous for space work (what modern astronauts do now)?
6 Star Admiral of the Loyal Water Buffaloes and Honorable Turtles
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Something like the diflector would take care of space trash.

But I would presume they would have cleaned up all the junk up there by then.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Defence, maybe? *shrug* I can't really think of any reasons.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The reason for the big space could be a status thing. A really big station like that is impressive to anyone.

Or it provides some ease of use for ship repair and building. It produces all the parts and assembles them right there. Rather than having to import stuff.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The main reason I can think of is defence - pulling all smaller ships in the vicinity of Earth inside during an attack. It's also possible that the interior is pressurised, or able to be pressurised, making repairs on ships inside considerably safer.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think the defence thing is the main benefit. Ships under repair are inherantly vulnerable to attack, so putting them into a closed structure eliminates that threat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The thing that really leapt out at me when I first saw it was "wouldn't it be so awesomely useful if they can pressurise that thing..."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It could well be pressurized. If they do indeed serve a defensive function, an installation of that size should be able to carry some formidable weaponry. Then, it would allow a great number of resources to be clustered together close to the ships, as well as living spaces. The combination of all three and any other benefits could make the great expense of building such structures worthwhile.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And CnC stuff would be alot easier from one, central platform.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:The main reason I can think of is defence - pulling all smaller ships in the vicinity of Earth inside during an attack. It's also possible that the interior is pressurised, or able to be pressurised, making repairs on ships inside considerably safer.
This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with Seafort. The Spacedock was seen being used for heavily damaged and new starships. (damaged: E-nil, new: E-A and Excelsior) If it's pressurized then they can repair hull breaches or complete the outer hull without being hindered by bulky spacesuits. It probably has heavy weapons, when combined with the thick hull, it be easier to defend more vulnerable ships that are under repair. It's probably one of Starfleet's smarter ideas.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Perhaps it also caries thousands of supplies and crew. It may also supppliment as a little vacation for the crew of any ships docked there.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I imagine there are a lot of rec facilities on a station that size.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:The main reason I can think of is defence - pulling all smaller ships in the vicinity of Earth inside during an attack. It's also possible that the interior is pressurised, or able to be pressurised, making repairs on ships inside considerably safer.
This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with Seafort. The Spacedock was seen being used for heavily damaged and new starships. (damaged: E-nil, new: E-A and Excelsior) If it's pressurized then they can repair hull breaches or complete the outer hull without being hindered by bulky spacesuits. It probably has heavy weapons, when combined with the thick hull, it be easier to defend more vulnerable ships that are under repair. It's probably one of Starfleet's smarter ideas.
I've always operated under the presumption they were very heavily armed and massively powered. Like one of the tabletop Starfleet Command game manuals described it.... so powerful that some refer to them as invincible, and enemies of the Federation have never attempted to destroy one. With that in mind when I saw Graham's stats for one it was very much in line with what I thought.

I always thought Starfleet should have many of these spread somewhat equidistantly around its space. (It may have, for all I know.) Besides in Earth orbit and Starbase 74, mostly what we see as "starbases" are little more than outposts or comm and traffic stations rather than proper starbases in the Spacedock sense. Basically a defense/rally point where, if the crap hit the fan, all of the fleet in the nearby sector gathers there for a fight or a last stand. (I guess almost kind of like the futuristic equivalent of a castle, something that makes taking and holding nearby regions of space very difficult.)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:I always thought Starfleet should have many of these spread somewhat equidistantly around its space. (It may have, for all I know.) Besides in Earth orbit and Starbase 74, mostly what we see as "starbases" are little more than outposts or comm and traffic stations rather than proper starbases in the Spacedock sense. Basically a defense/rally point where, if the crap hit the fan, all of the fleet in the nearby sector gathers there for a fight or a last stand. (I guess almost kind of like the futuristic equivalent of a castle, something that makes taking and holding nearby regions of space very difficult.)
I doubt they're spread equidistantly, but I'd certainly expect them to be built in key strategic systems in the Federation core, and controlling the Klingon and Romulan Neutral Zones.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wonder if they just repair or build new startships there to. It is certinly big enough to be a self contained production line.