Are Borg Dead?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

dialysis machines actually did a better job then the kidneys - the problem is that they tend to be the size of a filing cabinet.
And that is the problem. Mechanical systems are generaly better, but are also alot bigger than any biologica system. I can't think, of any mechanical system that would be the same size as a biological system and would perform better.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

clearly there are advanteges to having one or the other, but the Borg are making them work together in an attemt to create the perfect being.
What possible advantages are there in having organic components?
I can't think, of any mechanical system that would be the same size as a biological system and would perform better.
With our technology? Probably not. With Trek technology? They should be more than able to.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

mlsnoopy wrote:And that is the problem. Mechanical systems are generaly better, but are also alot bigger than any biologica system.
Initially, yes, but miniturisation can solve that problem. Take computers for example - I doubt the one you're using fills an entire room and is as powerful as a pocket calculator.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

For the record I think our Kidneys are still better than dialysis but at the rate techs going it wont be for long.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

They should be more than able to.
The key word her is should. Physic is still physic.
miniturisation can solve that problem
Some things can't be miniturised. As you said with the dialise machine, it must be that size so that the cleaning proces may happen, with the physical process taht they are using it can't be any smaller.

When computer got small, it happened with a totaly diffrent system, but now are holding it's size.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The key word her is should. Physic is still physic.
There's no physical law that would prevent machines getting smaller.
Some things can't be miniturised.
At the moment.
As you said with the dialise machine, it must be that size so that the cleaning proces may happen, with the physical process taht they are using it can't be any smaller.
As of now? No, we can't make it smaller. In a few centuries? Hell yes.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

mlsnoopy wrote:
When computer got small, it happened with a totaly diffrent system, but now are holding it's size.
We're not quite at the limits of transistors yet (but getting close), but the number of them that can practically be wired on one chip is causing us to look in other directions. That's why multi-core chips are being built: it's easier to build two simpler cores than one very complex core.

In any event, different types of circuitry still in development will allow computers to continue to improve. Quantum computers will offer revolutionary increases in computing power, in certain applications.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Computers are staying the same size because if they got smaller you wouldnt be able to use them.

Also MacAir is rather tiny. And while they have hit a standard siaze the power keeps going up.

Things like Nanobots could do any number of jobs and are well... nano sized.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

There's no physical law that would prevent machines getting smaller.
But as things get smaller physic changes and processes happen diffrently.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

These Borg would be a different sort of threat: they'd only be interested in assimilating new technology, not new life forms. The Borg do not advance without assimilation, as they lack creativity; what advantages the assimilation of life forms offer as distinct from the advantages of new technology are harder to determine. My theory is that the Borg require living brains due to the deficiencies of Borg AI.

Given that the Borg tend to wipe out the great majority of the cultures they assimilate, they would seem to destroy the future "breeding" stock of people to be assimilated in their territory. This would provide incentive to expand, but it would certainly demonstrate the importance of Borg incubation chambers. How they get the babies in the first place is a mystery, but assimilation may leave gonads intact.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Given that the Borg tend to wipe out the great majority of the cultures they assimilate, they would seem to destroy the future "breeding" stock of people to be assimilated in their territory.
As Seafort pointed out in another thread the Borg may very well leave breeding worlds. Like that Borg kids home.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:My theory is that the Borg require living brains due to the deficiencies of Borg AI.
Good point - we know for a fact that their technology is incapable of assimilating or hacking Data's brain, so it stands to reason that their own AI is substantially inferior to him.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

One might think that the Borg should have assimilated AI, but if Data is any indication, the technology may require great creativity to master, even if you have access to prototypes. The Borg's greatest weakness is their lack of creativity.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:For the record I think our Kidneys are still better than dialysis but at the rate techs going it wont be for long.
It should also be noted that the machines being external to the body is a huge problem. Since essentially your blood gets rerouted out of your body and then back in, it's a very traumatic procedure and people getting regular dialysis essentially risk the possibility of heart failure and death every single time they do it, especially if older.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

As far as the Borg remaining cybernetic goes, is it possible that they just don't want to give up their biological parts? Drones or not, the individual Borg do make up the race. What ever passes for the Borg consiousness may consist of the individual minds of all the Drones, albeit linked by technology. Getting rid of their biological components might be akin to a person replacing his body with a robots, rather then artificially enhancing his own.