Should I take offense, or laugh?

In the real world
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Should I take offense, or laugh?

Post by Mikey »

First the Navy, now the Methodists... are they trying to send a message to any extra-terrestrial Jews?

http://www.comcast.net/news/articles/na ... .Building/
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I would laugh at how ridiculus this is. It wasn't even intentional. And now they have to spend money because their building looks like a Nazi symbol from the air, where most people won't see it, and those that do probably won't notice it.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
That is some really unfortunate planning there. I mean, did no one look at the plans for the place and think "hey, that design sorta reminds me of something"?
Well, I suppose they could just tell people they were trying to make the Manjii symbol and just screwed it up a bit. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

This is Alabama - the response would be, "What's a Manjii?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Exactly. :wink:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

It's an effective building shape for a number of reasons. But yeah they could just put in some archways to make it look like a couple boxes
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Dang, Rochey. Beat me to it. ;)

Unfortunate planning, and a shame it has to be redesigned.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I find it hard to believe no one noticed this while still in the planning stages. The architectural drawings would clearly have looked like a giant swastika.

" Rally on sunday, Jim?"

" Huh? No, I'm working on this new building."

Seriously.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. I really can't see how this slipped by unnoticed by anyone, so I'm guessing someone noticed it but let it go. Either because they figured that no one would notice anyway, or because they're closet Nazis. I like the first option best, myself.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It depends how it was built - as sunny said, L-shaped buildings are very common. If the thing had been in stages the planners wouldn't see the swastika, as their bit of the plans would only show an L.

Alternatively, it wouldn't be surprising if they were simply focused on the intricate details of the design work and failed to see the wood for the trees.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Quite possibly. Simply building it one 'L' at a time would mean no one would notice the mistake.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

That's assuming that they built it in stages. Uzume's dad is an architect, and I've had some leanings toward the field as well. I don't see anyone missing this.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The second option is, I think, more likely. A third possibility is that they recognised the shape late in the design process, and went ahead with construction rather than going through the expense rather than starting from scratch. After all, if it wasn't for Google Earth, neither this, nor the US Navy swastika would have come to such notice.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:...After all, if it wasn't for Google Earth, neither this, nor the US Navy swastika would have come to such notice.
Makes one wonder how many other offensively-shaped buildings there are out there...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:Makes one wonder how many other offensively-shaped buildings there are out there...
It's pretty difficut for simple geometric shapes to be offensive - the swastika is the only one I can think of off the top of my head. Unfortuntately it can be formed very easily - build a simple Swiss cross, add extra buildings to the ends at right angles to save on the area taken up, and hey presto.