Daylight savings time.

In the real world
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Daylight savings time.

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Don't forget to set your clocks one hour forward or you'll be late for every thing
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

But not in the UK - incase anyone panics like I just did :)

I'm usually awake for it to be honest.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

*Sigh* I hate daylight saving's time. Seriously, no real point to it except to mess with people.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:*Sigh* I hate daylight saving's time. Seriously, no real point to it except to mess with people.
The farmers man! Think of the farmers!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Except Arizona, I think.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:*Sigh* I hate daylight saving's time. Seriously, no real point to it except to mess with people.
lol, sure. It's out of date, obsolete, IMHO.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It has a lrage effect on tourisum dollars spent aswell in entertainment areas. It also makes people feel better seeing more sun.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
lol, sure. It's out of date, obsolete, IMHO.
Well I think it's great. Helps save on energy, more light during the day(which actually has known medical and psychological benefits)
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Blackstar wrote:Helps save on energy
Wrong!
The Article wrote:Research on the impact of extending daylight-saving time across Indiana found:
• Residential electricity usage increased between 1% and 4%, amounting to $8.6 million a year.
• Social costs from increased emissions were estimated at between $1.6 million and $5.3 million per year.
• Possible social benefits -- enhanced public health and safety and economic growth -- were not studied.Indiana's change of heart gave University of California-Santa Barbara economics professor Matthew Kotchen and Ph.D. student Laura Grant a unique way to see how the time shift affects energy use. Using more than seven million monthly meter readings from Duke Energy Corp., covering nearly all the households in southern Indiana for three years, they were able to compare energy consumption before and after counties began observing daylight-saving time. Readings from counties that had already adopted daylight-saving time provided a control group that helped them to adjust for changes in weather from one year to the next.

Their finding: Having the entire state switch to daylight-saving time each year, rather than stay on standard time, costs Indiana households an additional $8.6 million in electricity bills. They conclude that the reduced cost of lighting in afternoons during daylight-saving time is more than offset by the higher air-conditioning costs on hot afternoons and increased heating costs on cool mornings.
Weird, I know.
Blackstar wrote:more light during the day(which actually has known medical and psychological benefits)
What's stopping you from....oh, I don't know, getting up earlier?

Really, Daylight Savings is an obsolete system that just causes hassle for everyone with no gain.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Rochey wrote:
I thought you'd already started college at least......

Seriously though, while a great idea back when it started it is getting to be outdated.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought you'd already started college at least......
Actualy, I'm long past college. Why? :?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
Blackstar wrote:Helps save on energy
The Article wrote:Research on the impact of extending daylight-saving time across Indiana found:
• Residential electricity usage increased between 1% and 4%, amounting to $8.6 million a year.
• Social costs from increased emissions were estimated at between $1.6 million and $5.3 million per year.
• Possible social benefits -- enhanced public health and safety and economic growth -- were not studied.Indiana's change of heart gave University of California-Santa Barbara economics professor Matthew Kotchen and Ph.D. student Laura Grant a unique way to see how the time shift affects energy use. Using more than seven million monthly meter readings from Duke Energy Corp., covering nearly all the households in southern Indiana for three years, they were able to compare energy consumption before and after counties began observing daylight-saving time. Readings from counties that had already adopted daylight-saving time provided a control group that helped them to adjust for changes in weather from one year to the next.

Their finding: Having the entire state switch to daylight-saving time each year, rather than stay on standard time, costs Indiana households an additional $8.6 million in electricity bills. They conclude that the reduced cost of lighting in afternoons during daylight-saving time is more than offset by the higher air-conditioning costs on hot afternoons and increased heating costs on cool mornings.
Weird, I know.
That's only one state. One study
Blackstar wrote:more light during the day(which actually has known medical and psychological benefits)
Because I'm in college? Well, not really college. I go to ITT Tech, but same basic thing really. Still gotta work hard, and work late on big projects. And I do get up pretty early. I have to be up by 6 AM just to be to school on time.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So? Can you think of any reason to suggest that these tests are invalid in other regions? It's a sample, just like a company picking a thousand people to give a questionaire to is.

Anyway, you're the on making the claim, so what evidence do you have that DS saves energy?

And if you're up at six, anyway, then what's the problem? You get the full day of sunshine.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
So? Can you think of any reason to suggest that these tests are invalid in other regions? It's a sample, just like a company picking a thousand people to give a questionaire to is.
Well, one test isn't enough to prove anything. Just like those questionaires aren't always accurate and can be scewed. Although you can claim you picked a thousand people at random, you can still influence who you picked. Like picking them up at a up-scale mall for example. You won't get an accurate picture.

In science you have to reproduce results multiple times before something is considered a proven fact. Why should a study be any different? It's one study in one state in a country of 50 in a world of hundreds of countries. It hardly proves anything
And if you're up at six, anyway, then what's the problem? You get the full day of sunshine.
What about the days off when I get to sleep in? And Some of my older friends also have a problem with getting up in the morning becuase of two little words: hang over. Or is that one word?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fine, but have you any evidence to show that DS does save energy? You are the one making the claims, thus you must prevent the evidence, not I.
What about the days off when I get to sleep in?
It's not my fault if you decide to sleep in some days. Why should we be forced to go through the hassle of changing every clock in our houses just because you want an extra hour of sunshine? You want to be able to have a whole day of sunshine? Then get up earlier. If you decide to lie in, fine, but I don't see why the rest of the planet needs to accomodate it.
And Some of my older friends also have a problem with getting up in the morning becuase of two little words: hang over. Or is that one word?
So what? If they're foolish enough to get so drunk that they can't get up the next morning, then that's their own fault. If they don't want to miss an hour of sunshine, then they can look after it themselves.