Is this Ithaka?

In the real world
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Is this Ithaka?

Post by Mikey »

An accidental find of a tholos tomb on the island of Lefkida may provide some murky insight as to the location of Homer's Odysseus:

http://www6.comcast.net/news/articles/s ... eece.Tomb/
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

That's cool stuff. I'd love it if Ithica was a real place.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on that.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Monroe wrote:That's cool stuff. I'd love it if Ithica was a real place.
Well, it was commonly identified with the island of Ithiki, but certain geographic factors and descriptions mentioned in Homer made that identification debatable. Plus, my own personal opinion is that the similarity in the construction of this tholos, and the diminished dimensions of this one from the ones in Mycenae and Tiryns, fall in line with the lesser influence and wealth that Homer described of Odysseus compared to Menelaos and Atreus.
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well Troy was real, most the other places were real why not Ithica.

Makes you wonder about Atlantis ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Monroe wrote:Makes you wonder about Atlantis ;)
That was Santorini - it blew up, and gave rise to Plato's story. It was probably also the source of a lot of the stories surrounding the Exodus, such as the crossing of the Sea of Reeds.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And, Santorini was visible from Crete, which it made it clear to the world at large that something was there, and then it wasn't.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The bang it made was probably visible from Eygpt - as a pillar of smoke by day and a pillar of fire by night.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... possible, although I've read convincing essays to the effect that the "Red Sea" crossing was actually a low-lying salt marsh that was located specifically near Sinai, with evidence of seasonal drainage.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I'm personally convinced that "Red Sea" is a mistranslation of "Reed Sea" (possibly a salt marsh, as you say), on the Mediterranean coast, and the withdrawal and subsequent return of the waters being due to a tidal wave triggered by the same earthquake as triggered the Santorini eruption. There was a programme about it on the Beeb a couple of years ago.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Then you should find this amusing.
MSNBC.com wrote:Was Moses high on Mount Sinai?
Study suggests Israelites may have eaten hallucinogens, but scholars scoff
MSNBC staff and news service reports
updated 4:26 p.m. CT, Tues., March. 4, 2008
JERUSALEM - When Moses brought the Ten Commandments down from Mount Sinai, he may have been high on a hallucinogenic plant, according to a new study by an Israeli psychology professor.

Writing in the British philosophy journal Time and Mind, Benny Shanon of Jerusalem's Hebrew University said two plants in the Sinai desert contain the same psychoactive molecules as those found in plants from which the powerful Amazonian hallucinogenic brew ayahuasca is prepared.

The thunder, lightning and blaring of a trumpet which the Book of Exodus says emanated from Mount Sinai could just have been the imaginings of a people in an "altered state of awareness," Shanon hypothesized.

"In advanced forms of ayahuasca inebriation, the seeing of light is accompanied by profound religious and spiritual feelings," Shanon wrote.

"On such occasions, one often feels that in seeing the light, one is encountering the ground of all Being ... many identify this power as God."

Shanon wrote that he was very familiar with the affects of the ayahuasca plant, having "partaken of the ... brew about 160 times in various locales and contexts."

He said one of the psychoactive plants, harmal, found in the Sinai and elsewhere in the Middle East, has long been regarded by Jews in the region as having magical and curative powers.

Shanon acknowledged that he had "no direct proof of this interpretation" and said such proof cannot be expected.

Biblical scholars scoffed at Shanon's suggestion. Orthodox rabbi Yuval Sherlow told Israel Radio: "The Bible is trying to convey a very profound event. We have to fear not for the fate of the biblical Moses, but for the fate of science."
This would explain a great many things.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Why not? Ergot was finally found, fairly convincingly, to be at the heart of the Salem witch trials.
as Bull offed Custer
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:Why not? Ergot was finally found, fairly convincingly, to be at the heart of the Salem witch trials.
Apparently that's been disputed a few times but even if it wasn't the cause, it's likely that they were high on something, as actual witchcraft is bunk.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The evidence for the ergot explanation, while circumstantial, is fairly convincing and makes sense for the geograpical area and demographic.
as Bull offed Custer