Columbia-Venezuela War?

In the real world
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Columbia-Venezuela War?

Post by Monroe »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080302/ap_ ... a_colombia

Columbia is our long standing ally but Venezuela has the oil...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Which is a strike AGAINST according to the current administration, apparently...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think the fact that Chavez is a nut-job is a clear strike against.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

The more we have to deal with crap like this the more I bet our administration likes our long range stealth bombers. Mess up anybody in the world and back again.

He's probably thinking that we're stretched thin in Iraq, and our ground forces are, but taking out large troop movements from the air is a whole other proposition.

Taking out industrial and targets like that is also pretty easy. I guess I just hope Colombia has some ground forces of their own.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, dude. Don't you remember? They've got Juan Valdez and the Donkey Brigade. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

This is Colombia, remember? Their troop levels aren't large, but each man can stay awake for 60 hours at a time and makes a 25 mile march in three hours. :wink:
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Ah, I almost shot wine out my nose. I love this forum, and I'm glad you decided to stay, Mikey. I really needed a laugh. :D
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Ah, I almost shot wine out my nose.laugh. :D
like an alcoholic dragon........
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Ah, I almost shot wine out my nose. I love this forum, and I'm glad you decided to stay, Mikey. I really needed a laugh. :D
Glad I could help, but isn't it like 5:00 in the morning in TX?
as Bull offed Custer
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I think this is posturing from Chavez. He is a supporter of FARC, and couldn't let the death of one of it's senior commanders go unmentioned - especially when he a has few hours of TV to fill with his regular (daily?) live broadcasts. The problem is that when the stakes are raised like this, it doesn't take to much to set off a war. As long as Columbia doesn't violate Venezuela's border like they did with Ecuador (whose initial response was diplomatic protest, but I did see a sketchy unconfirmed report that they where reinforcing their border, possibly emboldened by their ally Chavez's actions and rhetoric.) things will return to normal. There is no love to be lost between them anyway.
Just have to keep fingers crossed that no rogue officer deliberately creates a border incident. There are bound to be some right wingers in the Colombian military who would relish a confrontation between their battle hardened US equipped and backed forces and Chavez's, thanks to huge oil revenues and an eager Russian arms industry, recently reequipped troops.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Chavez is a wily old fox, and I wouldn't be surprised if this was (in part, at least) an attempt to gauge the US' reaction, and - if he gets the rise he wants - say to the world, "See how the evil US interferes in Latin America?"
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Damn, when I read the title I was thinking "The Hell? There's a war on and nobody told me?!?" but it's nice to know they haven't started shooting each other yet.
It'll be interesting to see how Bush takes this.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Rochey wrote: It'll be interesting to see how Bush takes this.
Probably by asking the state department if there are any oppressed minorities there and exactly how much oil are they sitting on.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And then telling us that he has intel that Chavez has WMD's.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Followed by the US military Liberating the Opressed Peoples, and Spreading Democracy.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"