In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Prince Harry is in Afghanistan

Post by Captain Seafort »

Beeb
Prince Harry in Taleban fighting

Prince Harry has been fighting the Taleban on the front line in Afghanistan, the MoD has confirmed.
Harry, 23, who is third in line to the throne, has spent the last 10 weeks serving in Helmand Province.

The prince joked about his nickname "the bullet magnet", but said: "I finally get the chance to do the soldiering that I want to do."

The deployment was subject to a news blackout deal, which broke down after being leaked by foreign media.

Chief of the General Staff Sir Richard Dannatt, who is head of the British Army, said he was disappointed the news had leaked.

In a statement, he said: "I am very disappointed that foreign websites have decided to run this story without consulting us.

"This is in stark contrast to the highly responsible attitude that the whole of the UK print and broadcast media, along with a small number overseas, who have entered into an understanding with us over the coverage of Prince Harry on operations."

Prime Minister Gordon Brown said Prince Harry had been an "exemplary solider".

"The whole of Britain will be proud of the outstanding service he is giving," he said.

"I want to thank Prince Harry and all of our service personnel for their contribution and service."

'No showers'

Prince Harry - a member of the Household Cavalry - has been based in a former madrassa along with a Gurkha regiment, in southern Helmand.

He is acting as a tactical air controller - calling up allied air cover in support of ground forces.

He also goes out on foot patrols.

In an interview while in the Afghan province, Harry talked about life as a soldier on the front line.

"I haven't really had a shower for four days, I haven't washed my clothes for a week.

"It's very nice to be sort of a normal person for once, I think it's about as normal as I'm going to get.

"I am still a little bit conscious of the fact that if I show my face too much in and around the area - luckily there's no civilians around here because it's...a no-man's land.

"But I think that if, up north, when I do go up there, if I do go on patrols in amongst the locals, I'll still be very wary about the fact that I do need to keep my face slightly covered just on the off-chance that I do get recognised, which will put other guys in danger.

"The Gurkhas think it's hysterical how I am called the 'bullet magnet', but they've yet to see why."

The deployment comes after the prince's planned tour to Iraq last year had to be cancelled because of a security risk.

Speaking ahead of this tour, Harry spoke of his relief over the mission.

He said he felt: "a bit of excitement, a bit of phew, finally, [to] get the chance to actually do the soldiering that I wanted to do ever since I joined really."

The Prince of Wales's communications secretary, Paddy Harverson, said: "Prince Harry is very proud to serve his country on operations alongside his fellow soldiers and to do the job he has been trained for."
Will someone kindly tell the idiot Yank who blabbed why it's a bad idea to let the world know he's out there. :evil:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

They probably remember Geraldo blowing the move order in Iraq on the news and figured "what the hey".

The US should take a leaf from the UK's book. It is a criminal offense to reveal military members deployment on any media.

Edit: Oh and provided they don't fly is troop commanders pendent on his vehicle, he should be in no more danger then Pvt. Bloggins. Unless the Taliban have the camp infiltrated, there's been a few cases of local workers pacing off the camps to make maps of them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I doubt he's in any more danger than the blokes around him. Unfortunately, given that the Taleban now know he's in the country, everyone around him is a target of any Taleban hoping that they're shooting at him, rather than Private Bloggins.

Given, however, that he's serving with the Ghurkas, I don't think they'll be too upset if the Taleban decide to have a go - what he actually said in the interview the article quoted was: "The Gurkhas think it's hysterical how I am called the 'bullet magnet', but they've yet to see why - they're a bit upset about that".
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:I doubt he's in any more danger than the blokes around him. Unfortunately, given that the Taleban now know he's in the country, everyone around him is a target of any Taleban hoping that they're shooting at him, rather than Private Bloggins.
They were already a target before anyone knew he was there. He rides around in a Scorpion, easy to destroy with anything more powerful than 7.62. And the Taleban mine or IED every road they can get to get to, with the hope of getting AFV's.
Given, however, that he's serving with the Ghurkas, I don't think they'll be too upset if the Taleban decide to have a go - what he actually said in the interview the article quoted was: "The Gurkhas think it's hysterical how I am called the 'bullet magnet', but they've yet to see why - they're a bit upset about that".
He's in pretty good hands working with them.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Cpl Kendall wrote:They were already a target before anyone knew he was there. He rides around in a Scorpion, easy to destroy with anything more powerful than 7.62. And the Taleban mine or IED every road they can get to get to, with the hope of getting AFV's.
True, but I'd imagine that the possibility of scoring the propaganda coup of killing or capturing the third in line to the British throne would provoke the Taleban to pay his unit particular attention.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Captain Seafort wrote:
True, but I'd imagine that the possibility of scoring the propaganda coup of killing or capturing the third in line to the British throne would provoke the Taleban to pay his unit particular attention.
Probably but they'd have to perform really well. It's one thing to abduct some guy from the Romanian Army but the UK Army is in an entirely different prospect, just with the disparity in skill.

I'll grant you the killing point, though that can be mitigated by reacting to it no differently than if any other soldier was killed. Realistically it's probably not going to draw in many more recruits for the Taliban as the average Taliban grunt is doing it because life in Afghanistan blows.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Will someone kindly tell the idiot Yank who blabbed why it's a bad idea to let the world know he's out there
Well, why is this prince guy on the battlefield if you don't want him to be in danger?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Well, why is this prince guy on the battlefield if you don't want him to be in danger?
He joined of his own free will and the policy since Christ carried a spear has been to treat serving Royals no differently than any other soldier, unless their in the immediate line of succesion. IE: Andrew in the Falklands.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
He joined of his own free will and the policy since Christ carried a spear has been to treat serving Royals no differently than any other soldier, unless their in the immediate line of succesion. IE: Andrew in the Falklands.
Well then why is the news making such a big deal?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Well then why is the news making such a big deal?
Because they can sell more papers and such.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Here I thought he was in southern Iraq.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Monroe wrote:Here I thought he was in southern Iraq.
He was going to be but the threat level was to high apperently. And the UK is withdrawing slowly anyways.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

He's been repatriated

Prince Harry is to be withdrawn from Afghanistan after news broke of him serving there on the front line.

The 23-year-old royal, who has spent the last 10 weeks serving in Helmand Province, is to be flown back to the UK amid concerns for his safety.

The move follows the collapse of a news blackout deal, after foreign media leaked the story.

There had been fears the prince, who is third in line to the throne, could become a target for the Taleban.

In a statement, the Ministry of Defence described the reporting of Harry's deployment by foreign media as "regrettable" but that contingency plans for such a leak were in place.

It added that while the prince should have returned "in a matter of weeks" with his Household Cavalry regiment battlegroup, the situation had now "clearly changed".
Click the link for the full article.

At this point they may as well re-role him into Admin, if they aren't willing to risk him in a combat zone after he's been identified.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I don't think it's the risk to him they're worried about (Andrew was in the Falklands after all), so much as the risk to those around him. After all, as I understand the situation the Taleban's strategic objective isn't to take and hold territory, but to force the coalition to withdraw for political reasons (either by inflicting many casualties or, in Harry's case, sufficiently high-profile casualties).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Out of curiosity, does anyone know exactly what he was doing over there? I seriously doubt he'd have been sent out on patrol like a normal soldier, and I heard this morning that he had a job as a communications officer, or something.
Harry wrote:"I haven't really had a shower for four days, I haven't washed my clothes for a week."
Oh, the horror.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"