Electronic display screen inside your arm

In the real world
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Electronic display screen inside your arm

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Star Trek never came up with anything this cool.
Electronic tattoo display runs on blood
by Lisa Zyga

Jim Mielke's wireless blood-fueled display is a true merging of technology and body art. At the recent Greener Gadgets Design Competition, the engineer demonstrated a subcutaneously implanted touch-screen that operates as a cell phone display, with the potential for 3G video calls that are visible just underneath the skin.

The basis of the 2x4-inch "Digital Tattoo Interface" is a Bluetooth device made of thin, flexible silicon and silicone. It´s inserted through a small incision as a tightly rolled tube, and then it unfurls beneath the skin to align between skin and muscle. Through the same incision, two small tubes on the device are attached to an artery and a vein to allow the blood to flow to a coin-sized blood fuel cell that converts glucose and oxygen to electricity. After blood flows in from the artery to the fuel cell, it flows out again through the vein.

On both the top and bottom surfaces of the display is a matching matrix of field-producing pixels. The top surface also enables touch-screen control through the skin. Instead of ink, the display uses tiny microscopic spheres, somewhat similar to tattoo ink. A field-sensitive material in the spheres changes their color from clear to black, aligned with the matrix fields.

The tattoo display communicates wirelessly to other Bluetooth devices - both in the outside world and within the same body. Although the device is always on (as long as your blood´s flowing), the display can be turned off and on by pushing a small dot on the skin. When the phone rings, for example, an individual turns the display on, and "the tattoo comes to life as a digital video of the caller," Mielke explains. When the call ends, the tattoo disappears.

Could such an invasive device have harmful biological effects? Actually, the device could offer health benefits. That´s because it also continually monitors for many blood disorders, alerting the person of a health problem.

The tattoo display is still just a concept, with no word on plans for commercialization.
And a picture:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Actually the federation is just opposed to cybernetic enhancement in general. You can't even get a VISOR unless you've lost your eyes.

I'm guessing it has to do with the audience in RL and the ease of hacking in Trek (the VISOR example again).
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Where do I sign up?!

And I don't even care about the "cool" factor - I just want to quit putting pinholes in my fingertips 4 - 6 times/day.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I really hope they start doing more research into possible aplications/enhancements of this tech ASAP. This has massive potential. For example, you could have a medical scanner that monitors your body, with advancements you could probably access the internet with it. Think about how useful that would be; having the greatest database of knowledge litteraly at your fingertips, wherever you go. As soon as they move beyond mobile phone aplications for this thing, I'll be signing up for this.

This also opens up a whole new range of possibilities for similar technology. Could we now have Bluetooth headsets implanted into the ear itself? With that electronic contact lens I posted an article about a while back, this could be a great combination.
You could access the internet via your arm, have the info displayed right in front of your eyes, and have the sound materialise straight in your ears.

It's a great thing when modern science has things that science fiction never thought of. I feel very privilaged to be living in this era.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

That is one of the precious few gadgets I would actually own, if it goes into production. The applications are endless. By the way, I have been doing this from my cell phone for the past couple of days, now, since the computer crashed like a cheap Italian war plane, but we will get a new one very soon. Thank goodness for Opera Mini!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of adding unnecessary equipment in your body? After having to explain the usefulness of Blu-ray to the old-geezer types, I expected more objections to this. And conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day with this one.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of adding unnecessary equipment in your body? After having to explain the usefulness of Blu-ray to the old-geezer types, I expected more objections to this. And conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day with this one.
I think it's worthy of note that both Rochey and myself mentioned medical, etc., aspects of this, rather than just the "cool' factor. As I mentioned, a subcutaneous glucose meter would be phenomenal for me - even with the current state of medical technology, I have to poke holes in my fingertips 4 - 6 times a day, and even then I obviously have no means for getting a constant, running, real-time plot. A device like this could mean true accurate tracking of how different foods cause me to react; of how different intervals between insulin and meals affect absorption and reaction; even how absorption varies by time of day. And that's just a lyman's list of practical medical uses for one solitary condition. I can't speak for all type-1 diabetics, but I always live with a shadow in the back of my mind; and if it means a way for me to worry less about being blind or an amputee within the next thirty years, they could implant a chest freezer in my ass if it would help.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Am I the only one who doesn't like the idea of adding unnecessary equipment in your body?
It may not be totaly necessary, but (as I and Mikey have pointed out) this has massive potential for all sorts of things. I won't be getting this if it's just a fancy hook-up for a phone, but if they brought out a version with stuff I mentioned earlier in it, I'll be getting one of these the moment they're shown to be safe.
having to explain the usefulness of Blu-ray to the old-geezer types, I expected more objections to this.
Blu-ray is just a better DVD player.
This is a whole new field of technology, opening up before us with many possible and beneficial applications. You aren't just comparing apples to oranges here, you're comparing cars to teeth.
And conspiracy nuts are going to have a field day with this one.
The conspiracy theorists can run back to their tinfoil igloos and start screaming there, as long as they leave me in peace.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

And this is a fancy phone. The only good thing is the medical application, and I'm betting that can be applied without needing the glorified phone.
with advancements you could probably access the internet with it. Think about how useful that would be; having the greatest database of knowledge litteraly at your fingertips
Get a smart phone. Does the same thing, without experimental technology.
Blu-ray is just a better DVD player.
This is a whole new field of technology, opening up before us with many possible and beneficial applications. You aren't just comparing apples to oranges here, you're comparing cars to teeth.
Blu-ray is only related in the since that works on the same principles. HD-DVD is the 'better DVD player' since it is basically a DVD on steroids.

And this is a fancy phone, which at best is a smart phone. Something you can safely carry around and easily get rid of. How are you supposed to upgrade this stuff?
The conspiracy theorists can run back to their tinfoil igloos
Actually Tinfoil increases the possibility for mind control. Not that the technology for mind control exists mind you, but if it did the conspiracy theorists would be the first to go.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:You could access the internet via your arm, have the info displayed right in front of your eyes, and have the sound materialise straight in your ears.

It's a great thing when modern science has things that science fiction never thought of. I feel very privilaged to be living in this era.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandora%27 ... _symbiosis

"OCTattoos (Organic Circuitry Tattoos) are also a major technological device. These are tattooed on the skin and resemble colourful, often
metallic tattoos, and serve hundreds of purposes from transferring credits to serving as sensors. Their main function is to act as processors
for other implants (which may function at reduced capacity if an OCTattoo is damaged)."

Sci fi always gets there first :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Damn, seems sci-fi did think this up first. Oh, well, it's still cool.
And this is a fancy phone.
Yes, but that's not what I'm talking about. I have no interest in getting this just for my phone, I'd only get it if there was a benefit like I listed before.
Get a smart phone. Does the same thing, without experimental technology.
Yes, it does, but this is the next step altogether. In fact, it's several steps being taken alltogether. This is literaly replacing the need for operating a physical object, and turning it into just another part of our bodies. No more having to recharge your phone, no more losing your phone, no more worries about it getting stolen.
Blu-ray is only related in the since that works on the same principles. HD-DVD is the 'better DVD player' since it is basically a DVD on steroids.
Didn't you basicaly say in the other thread that Blu-ray is just DVD with more space on the disc?
And this is a fancy phone, which at best is a smart phone.
Yes, it is. And I'll point out again that I have no interest in the phone usage of this thing, my interest lies in the technology itself, and the myriad possible things that can arrise from this. With things like this, maybe cyborgs aren't a thing of imagination anymore.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Yes, it does, but this is the next step altogether. In fact, it's several steps being taken alltogether. This is literaly replacing the need for operating a physical object, and turning it into just another part of our bodies. No more having to recharge your phone, no more losing your phone, no more worries about it getting stolen.
And makes it more difficult to make repairs and upgrades to your phone. What happens if gets damaged? If I cut my arm will I be electrocuted by this stuff?
Didn't you basicaly say in the other thread that Blu-ray is just DVD with more space on the disc?
No, I said it works on the same principles. It's like comparing a diesel engine to a more conventional engine. Same effect, different methods, different results.
my interest lies in the technology itself, and the myriad possible things that can arrise from this. With things like this, maybe cyborgs aren't a thing of imagination anymore
Sure, that's just what I need, a body that can be hacked. As if I don't have enough problems.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

So should I abandon hope of a possible better way to control a life-shortening illness, or avoid disabling effects, because I can get an iPhone instead?

I understand your point, Blackstar, but as Rochey and I both pointed out there are beneficial applications far beyond the simple popularly-marketable ones. A continuous, real-time blood (or lymphatic, etc.) monitor that could communicate on its own with a physician's office/database would be very literally a lifesaver.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:So should I abandon hope of a possible better way to control a life-shortening illness, or avoid disabling effects, because I can get an iPhone instead?

I understand your point, Blackstar, but as Rochey and I both pointed out there are beneficial applications far beyond the simple popularly-marketable ones. A continuous, real-time blood (or lymphatic, etc.) monitor that could communicate on its own with a physician's office/database would be very literally a lifesaver.
I'm sure you can have that without the unnecessary applications.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
And makes it more difficult to make repairs and upgrades to your phone. What happens if gets damaged? If I cut my arm will I be electrocuted by this stuff?
It's powered by your blood not a wall socket. :roll: