Why do the Borg move so slowly?

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Why do the Borg move so slowly?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

It's not even a matter of them being hindered by their mechanical parts, as the "liberated" Borg in "Descent" confound this story. Those were physically identical to all other Borg drones, but moved very quickly and viciously. Why would the Hive Borg choose to plod along like some big, ungainly things?

Also, have we seen any instances other than Descent of Borg firing energy pulses from their arm appendages?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Maybe the Hive Borg use up a lot of RAM or whatever by staying in contact with the Collective.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Or it's just really distracting having millions of voices talking in your head at the same time. They'd trip.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I like the idea of there being so many Borg that they can't function at full speed. It's like having fifty different programs running on a computer, it'll get to the point where it moves incredibly slowly.
This may also explain things like why they only sent one cube at a time to Earth (it'd be easier to concentrate on controling one ship, than a dozen) and why they don't use ranged weapons (by the time they aim and fire, the target will have moved).
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Cheers to Rochey for killing a whole flock with one stone! That idea actual settles a whole sackfull of scores I have with the way the Borg were often presented (excepting Voyager - there's no help for that.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

If this is the case, then we've discovered a major weakness of the Borg! How can Starfleet exploit this?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Because they're morons. Any questions?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Starfleet doesn't exploit weaknesses... they ADOPT them.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mikey wrote:Cheers to Rochey for killing a whole flock with one stone! That idea actual settles a whole sackfull of scores I have with the way the Borg were often presented (excepting Voyager - there's no help for that.)
WTF? I came up with the idea. He just expanded on it.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:If this is the case, then we've discovered a major weakness of the Borg! How can Starfleet exploit this?
Millions upon millions of QTs fired from thousands of ODPs! Self guilded Missiles with UHE warheads (Bunker busters) by the hundreds! A UFP reformed into an Empire to which will control both alpha and beta quads!

Its just a thought you know.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Hands up who's astonished that Deep would even consider a solution involving QT spam. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actualy, I brought this possibility up a couple times before in previous threads. :)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:Cheers to Rochey for killing a whole flock with one stone! That idea actual settles a whole sackfull of scores I have with the way the Borg were often presented (excepting Voyager - there's no help for that.)
Don't get your panties in a bunch... I applauded Rochey for applying that idea as a solution for a number of other inconsistencies. As far as this thread goes, Blakcstar came up with the idea of the Borg being data-overloaded.

OK?
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Hmm, wouldn't a massive EM discharge do the trick? Their non-organic components would fry. And how come they don't use projectile weapons against the Borg, just energy weapons? Every time they physically hit the Borg, they make contact. When Picard shot those Borg in the holosuite in FC, they did not adapt. Several dozen rounds were fired from the Tommy gun and none of them were deflected by a Borg shield. Now would be a great time to bring back TR-116.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

[/quote]When Picard shot those Borg in the holosuite in FC, they did not adapt. Several dozen rounds were fired from the Tommy gun and none of them were deflected by a Borg shield

That weren't real bullets, it is posible that Borg have never encountered such an attack.