"In A Mirror Darkly..." question

Enterprise
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

"In A Mirror Darkly..." question

Post by Bryan Moore »

Just watched clips again. Quite lovely. What I'm curious, though, is that how this ever got off the ground. Clearly the Vulcans helped along the Federation w/ technology (even while holding back some). But are we to assume that in this mirror universe that the Humans were able to conquer the Vulcans in 100 years? This makes little sense. Even if Cochrane and the humans at the landing site stole the the Vulcan tech, it would be a long time before they could make any sort of sufficient military advances with them to launch any sort of invasion force. What's up with this?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

And why didn't the Vulcans send a ship to administer exterminatus to Earth?
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Because in the Mirror Universe these Vulcans are nice during Enterprise as opposed to the evil vulcans normally seen.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

How long would it take Humans to build a fleet? Ten years? Twenty? Certainly no more than that I would think. Even if you gave it forty years to allow time to build docks and shipyards and such, it's easily doable within the century timeframe.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Remeber humans had just had a massive war which was probably worse in the mirror universe. Also They wouldnt spread the tech around they would hord it.

Also I was under the impression that the lander was just like a shuttle. Why didnt the mother ship come and blow them to shit.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps it was a slip up on the part of the Vulcans? Eg, they see the people they sent down get murdered, so they say "screw this, we don't want anything to do with these savages" and just leave. They forget about taking the shuttle back with them, and just ignore humanity.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Could be and if they did do somethign that stupid they deserve to be taken over.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good point by Rochey - remember, the Vulcans would have no emotional response to the deaths of their delegates.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Good point by Rochey - remember, the Vulcans would have no emotional response to the deaths of their delegates.
Good point but they really should have been slightly concerned about the fact that a hostile species has just gotten their hands on advanced technology and all of the data relating to how it works, it would be like handing NK or Iran a few Nukes and everything they need to make more than ignoring the situation because it might cost a few lives to stop them.

On another note it is mentioned on the Memory Alpha Site that John Eaves, the Designer intended for the ship to be Warp Capable and a full ship in its own right, the same article however also points out that other Backstage Sources have said it was a Lander from a larger ship. Just thought I'd through that in there.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/T%27Plana-Hath_type
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Good point by Rochey - remember, the Vulcans would have no emotional response to the deaths of their delegates.
To nitpick, they would have emotional responses - strong ones at that, they're simply better at controlling said emotions than humans.

Given the tendency of the High Command to shoot first and ask questions later (shown the Vulcan arc in particular), it's even more surprising that Vulcan didn't respond with force to Cochrane's attack.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Given the tendency of the High Command to shoot first and ask questions later (shown the Vulcan arc in particular), it's even more surprising that Vulcan didn't respond with force to Cochrane's attack.
This could be an example of the Mirror Universe though, in 'our' Universe they are comparably violent but in the Mirror Universe they are pacifists, just like in the regular Universe something caused them to change (the discovery of Surak's original Writing) something in the Mirror Universe may have inspired the change (perhaps Surak preached arrogance and violence, helping to force the innocent Romulans from their Planet)... Just a thought.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

KuvahMagh wrote:Because in the Mirror Universe these Vulcans are nice during Enterprise as opposed to the evil vulcans normally seen.
As someone mentioned it might have been a dropship, they should have at least destroyed it from orbit. Leaving an advanced piece of kit for a bunch of homocidal nutjobs to loot isn't a very good idea.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

As someone mentioned it might have been a dropship, they should have at least destroyed it from orbit. Leaving an advanced piece of kit for a bunch of homocidal nutjobs to loot isn't a very good idea.
As originally designed there was no mother ship though, if this were the case then the Vulcan's wouldn't even have known there was a problem until the ship failed to report in, it is debatable how long it would take for them to be concerned enough to send out a search party, being Vulcans you would expect them to report regulary and any such delay considered anomalous and warranting at least a basic investigation but again this isn't exactly clear.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If there was just the one ship, which landed on Earth, then there's really no problem. The humans can overpower the Vulcans, and nab the ship. The ship itself was (IIRC) just passing by the system on it's way to a science mission somewhere. The Vulcan leaders probably wouldn't even consider the possibility of it landing on the little backwater world full of primitives, and would have probably assumed it to have been destroyed by someone else (such as the Andorians).
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Thats what I mean, if we assume there was no Mother Ship then it works out pretty well, if there was a mother ship then it really is more complicated.

I believe there is further evidence against the Mother Ship idea in that there is no concern shown about traveling back to the future at the end, it was mentioned that the ship would be undetectable to the Vulcans previously when they came through the System I believe but such an anomaly occurring would certainly draw the attention of a Mother Ship which would presumably be running scans and surveys of the area and Planet, updating itself on this new development. If however the Lander was the main ship then it is likely that they would be more focused on the Cultural level of study than on watching the skies, especially given its size it would not be able to carry great numbers of people.

Personally my take is it is possibly a slightly more capable take on the Runabout. A ship which could undergo short duration missions with a specific goal and thus equipment/personnel.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus