Good Bad Ugly: TNG

The Next Generation
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Bryan Moore wrote:First warp core mention. Agreed on that.
Huh? :? Didn't you see mine and Rochey's posts? Moe to the point, didn't you expect to see the thing mentioned there?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Technically, I didn't list the warp core on it's own. It was sort of included in "The Galaxy class starship" "The lack of inteligence displayed" and "The sheer stuidity of Starfleet's engineering."
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Great: Stewart's acting, from Dune to TNG. And the Nebula Class.

Good: Worf. Through him, they turned Klingons from space pirates to a proud warrior race with a rich culture, even the martial art of Mok Bara (which in reality is derived from tai chi chuan).

Average: Galaxy class. It looked good on paper, I'm sure, but it's a fat flying palace with an explosive warp core.

Bad: Pulaski, the pseudo-red headed Crusher wannabe with a pseudo-attitude. She tried to come off as tough, but it was just wrong.

Terrible: The shy, common-senseless, time warping, child demigod of Wesley Crusher. I just want to shoot him out the nearest torpedo tube!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Ivan_Only
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Ivan_Only »

Great: The Characters. So many good ones. Q, Picard, Data, Worf, Guinan, Sela and a bunch of others I am missing

Good: The Story lines, some awesome episodes in this series

Average: How quickly the E-D could succumb to battle damage

Bad: The first two seasons tried too hard to be TOS

Terrible: Wesley Crusher. I am sure Wil Wheaton is a good guy, but the writers could have done.....something.
"What's in the case?"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Great: The characters, whether they be main, the background characters or the guests. Q, Gowron, the Borg, Picard, Data, Worf, O'Brien, Guinan, Geordi, Lore, any Romulan, and even Ro Laren. All were done by strong actors who were engrossed in their roles. Tis was no B-class production with Z-grade acting. We even got to see the background characters get an episode.

Good: The stories. There were some great ones, such as Darmok featuring a simplistic morale in a complex and alluring way. For once it was the alien who wanted to communicate and aggression and technobabble wouldn't be enough. The Enterprise D lost in a fight! Or Q Who which introduced the Borg. There's an enemy searching through space for new resources, and they can't be reasoned with. Not because they're "evil" but because that is how the species survives and grows. How can you judge a species doing what it must? Lots of great episodes.

Average: Too many human looking aliens. I know I'm nitpicking and I know they are on a television budget, but this really established a buttcrack on the forehead standard for future Trek. That's how we know they're different from Vulcans and Klingons. How about changing the eyes, or something besides bipedal creatures. Every Borg was once human or do they only seek human looking beings to assimilate?

Bad: The early seasons. Not terrible because they did establish the new Star Trek and new characters. The stupidity of the early seasons gave us Wesley Crusher. Too bad the one child character was chosen to be a super genius. We don't get to see a child traveling in outer space on a starship, we get to see a child solve problems that no other being can. On his time off, instead of playing games he is busy solving algorithms. Boring and silly, but he is destined to someday stop time.

Terrible: Troi. She gets mind raped, gave birth to an alien baby, goes insane, gets kidnapped and stripped naked by ugly Ferengi. Pure 80's B-movie dreck. Troi did have one redeeming quality, and that was that her empathy came in handy quite often.

Er...sorry for the essays.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I love how everyone agrees that the first seasons by GR were the worst by far.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think that the whole deal with Roddenberry was: great at the big picture - not so much with the details.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt even give him that much credit. He had a half good idea that other people made workable.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Great: Picard - Patrick Stewart was superb in it, most notably his post assimilation spell at home, and his torture at the hands of the Cardassians. I can't imagine any of the other actors pulling those off.

Oh and the Nebula Class :)

Good: The Galaxy Class. Oh in hindsight I can see its faults, but when I first saw the series I thought the ship was fantastic. Big, great bar, and nicely decorated.

And I still think it has a great shape - though I liked it better when Admiral Riker - probably in the midst of a midlife crisis, had an extra warp engine and a really big gun fitted.

Average: Geordis visor. Was probably budgetary restraints, but I'd like to have seen a little of the world through his visor. I still can't understand why it seemed to send so much information at once, leaving Geordies poor brain to filter everything out. Couldn't the visor itself just trasmit normal images, and switch to infrared, night vision, and Pan and Zoom when he needed it.

It also allowed him to be brainwashed, sent Worf zipping through parallel dimensions, and then got the Enterprise destroyed.

Bad: Wesley - he didn't have to be such an annoying character. Jake and Nog developed from annoying tikes to fully rounded adults - Nog being the one who joined Starfleet and Jake going his own way made it all the better.

Wes should have been a bit more of the Genius and a bit less of the adolescent. Maybe then his presence on the Bridge and in conferences would have seemed a bit more acceptable.

Terrible: The Ferengi. So much so I was dreading them appearing in DS9, but Quark, then later Rom and Nog, really did the species justice.

In TNG they were too cartoon like, I could never imagine them ever joining Starfleet.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'd say they are more cartoonish in DS9 but in a good way.

In TNG they were supposed to be an enemy which would never work.

In DS9 they were supposed to represent 20th century humans and it did work.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

In DS9 they were supposed to represent 20th century humans
You mean the greedy part or the sexist part?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

stitch626 wrote:
In DS9 they were supposed to represent 20th century humans
You mean the greedy part or the sexist part?
Both. Actually in the first couple of episodes of DS9 the tension between Quark and Sisko culminates in Quark going off on a rant about how the reason Ferengi make humans uncomfortable is because humans used to be just like them, but worse. And then he goes off about how the Ferengi have nothing like concentration camps or genocides in their history.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Has to be said, the big eared fella had a point too.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think the comment about slavery is what really got to Sisko.