Why do Borg vessels lack shields?

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Hand held phasers are shown several times being used to heat things up or melt them. This implies heat which would adventually cause vaporisation. Maybe thats just an off shot of what it really does but it does transmit heat.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hand held phasers are shown several times being used to heat things up or melt them. This implies heat which would adventually cause vaporisation. Maybe thats just an off shot of what it really does but it does transmit heat.
Any type of energy weapon would produce heat. The ability to heat rocks does not mean the effect in question is vapourisation. As I said earlier, the fact that there is none of the effects associated with vapourisation means it can't be.
The neutrino idea could work, perhaps vapourisation referring to matter being changed into neutrinos
Then do you agree that it is not vapourisation?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I agree that a Phaser primarily does not vaporise stuff but stuff does get vaporised by it as a side effect.

I was under the impression that Phasers shifted matter outside of our dimensions as its primary function.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I neither agree nor disagree. I am merely putting forth theories that may or may not work, that can be adapted, accepted, or disposed of as necessary.

However, clearly in the sense that the solid/liquid is not be changed to gas, I do agree. The actual term and meaning of the word "varpourisation" may have changed in the Trek universe to incorporate other things.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Teaos wrote:I agree that a Phaser primarily does not vaporise stuff but stuff does get vaporised by it as a side effect.
Then where is the vapour? The overpressure? The scalding of every one in the room?
These things are inevitable when you vapourise something as big as a human.
I was under the impression that Phasers shifted matter outside of our dimensions as its primary function.
That would explain where all the mass goes.
Thorin wrote:The actual term and meaning of the word "varpourisation" may have changed in the Trek universe to incorporate other things.
How could you change the term 'vapourise' to mean something completely different? The definition of 'vapourisation' is turning something into vapour, how could it mean something else?

Personally I treat it as a sort of slang word. E.g, we have assault 'rifles' yet they aren't rifles.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm saying most of the matter gets phased out but a small bit like 2-3% gets vaporised. Not really enough to cause any problems for anyone.

It would be like a side effect of using phasers.

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Possible. We have seen that phasers naturally heat things up, its possible some of the target mass gets vapourised before getting 'phaserised'.

Which just leaves us with the question of 'where does the rest go'?
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

I meant that the word wasn't utterly changed, merely added more things in, even as you said, like a slag word.

Regarding where the mass could go, neutrinos seem like a nice idea.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I meant that the word wasn't utterly changed, merely added more things in, even as you said, like a slag word.
Very well, I misunderstood what you meant.
Regarding where the mass could go, neutrinos seem like a nice idea.
I'll take your word on that, my physics knowledge isn't great.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Well neutrinos are still a bugger for all the scientific community. They can't be tracked, and it takes, I believe, 100 trillion kilometres of lead to stop only 50% of the neutrinos. They have no charge or ionisation, so it is very difficult to see where they've been. They have a tiny mass, but it is above 0, so with enough of them they could make up the mass of whatever was "vapourised".

And I just realised I said slag instead of slang :lol:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

The advantage of neutrinos to explain magic disappearing acts is that they have mass, but no charge. This means they can carry away energy, but only interact very weakly with the matter they pass through, with a mean free path of something like several light-years through lead IIRC - my knowledge of science is pretty broad, but strictly layman's).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So, its pretty much a wild card what the effects would be for a room in which someone was turned into neutrinos?
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

If someone was turned into neutrinos they would simply disappear.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Which fits perfectly with what we see on the show. Sounds like a good enough explaination to me.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Doesn't really make sense to me. As far as I am informed (and I could very well be wrong!) neutrinos are elementary - yet a person's makeup is of atoms which are NOT elementary. Even if we posit that a phaser can overcome the strong and weak forces between the quarks of a persons atoms; how do you turn those quarks, which have charge, color, and spin, into a neutrino, which has no charge, color, or spin, and which is NOT composed of quarks by definition?

Besides, neutrinos have a VERY smal mass, and must therefore have relatively high energy to be converted from any given mass. I have never seen demonstrated a phaser with enough energy to overcome the strong and weak forces within a humanoid's entire count of atoms, PLUS enough to overcome the electromagnetic force between all those atoms, PLUS enough to convert all that matter to enough energy to justify neutrino conversion. A quantum a/o dimensional shift by changing the spin of a body's component quarks seems to make (somewhat) more sense.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer