What starship would you least like to captain?

Voyager
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: What starship would you least like to captain?

Post by Deepcrush »

FINE!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Deepcrush wrote:Wait wait wait, I just have to do it! You know I have to do it. It is a must!

EXCELSIOR! :lol:
Edited for Teaos.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Of the series ships, Voyager, for obvious reasons. I'd likely not want to be on the NX or a very early ship. Lots of uncertainty, issues, etc.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They seem much more safe then a GCS, that much is for sure.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, at least I never saw the NX nearly go up like a firecracker because someone had angry thoughts about the warp core.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I would go completely batty if I was placed in command of an Oberth-class science vessel. It is small, fragile, and damn near useless in any kind of a crisis situation. But then, I'm not a scientist so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to appriciate it's good points. If there are any.

Sorry Oberth fans, this ship has always bothered me from a tactical point of view. One Klingon torpedeo wiped out a ship, with all but two hands lost. (USS Grissom ST III) I wouldn't feel safe inside one. Like driving a golf cart on the auto bon
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The idea is to not put it in combat.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Mark wrote:I would go completely batty if I was placed in command of an Oberth-class science vessel. It is small, fragile, and damn near useless in any kind of a crisis situation. But then, I'm not a scientist so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to appriciate it's good points. If there are any.

Sorry Oberth fans, this ship has always bothered me from a tactical point of view. One Klingon torpedeo wiped out a ship, with all but two hands lost. (USS Grissom ST III) I wouldn't feel safe inside one. Like driving a golf cart on the auto bon
It's not a combat vessel, it's not even a front-line science vessel. And it's sheilds were down when the torpedoe got a 'lucky' hit.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

But combat is not the ONLY danger in deep space. How many different kinds of anomolies have we seen crop up over the years. A good ion storm could pose a threat as well as a good gravitational surge. This ship could even be a target for pirates, for heavens sake. As for the demise of USS Grissom, J.T. Esteban was a Starfleet Captain. Even though we didn't hear him give the order, how could we assume he would not have ordered his shields up? If I remember correctly, Savik called in and he told her "we're under attack" and ordered his helmsman to "stand by for evaisive". He obviously knew they were under attack. Why would he leave his shields down?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mark wrote:But combat is not the ONLY danger in deep space. How many different kinds of anomolies have we seen crop up over the years. A good ion storm could pose a threat as well as a good gravitational surge. This ship could even be a target for pirates, for heavens sake. As for the demise of USS Grissom, J.T. Esteban was a Starfleet Captain. Even though we didn't hear him give the order, how could we assume he would not have ordered his shields up? If I remember correctly, Savik called in and he told her "we're under attack" and ordered his helmsman to "stand by for evaisive". He obviously knew they were under attack. Why would he leave his shields down?
It's not a top of the line combat vessel. We have no idea about the time it takes for the Grissom to raise sheilds or if they were working at optimal levels
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Oberths arent supposed to be anywhere near danger, they sit in orbit of a planet taking reading, they scan nebula ect, its not near any signifigant danger. It also doesnt go deepspace since it is so slow. It scans pre deicovered systems.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Rochey wrote:Bit over-eager there, Deep? :P

Reliant: What's wrong with a Sovereign?
Sovereign is just a tad overpowered for my taste. i've never been one for the big ships. the Federation news service would be all over any sovereign starfleet deployed. i'd be far more comfortable with a smaller, less important and less well known starship.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not an attention whore are you?

Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Teaos wrote:Not an attention whore are you?
There's only one thing people like more then a celebrity, and that's a celebrity who fails.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mark wrote:I would go completely batty if I was placed in command of an Oberth-class science vessel. It is small, fragile, and damn near useless in any kind of a crisis situation. But then, I'm not a scientist so I'm sure I wouldn't be able to appriciate it's good points. If there are any.

As Chakat pointed out, by the Klingon gunners own admission the hit was a lucky one.
But combat is not the ONLY danger in deep space. How many different kinds of anomolies have we seen crop up over the years. A good ion storm could pose a threat as well as a good gravitational surge. This ship could even be a target for pirates, for heavens sake. As for the demise of USS Grissom, J.T. Esteban was a Starfleet Captain. Even though we didn't hear him give the order, how could we assume he would not have ordered his shields up? If I remember correctly, Savik called in and he told her "we're under attack" and ordered his helmsman to "stand by for evaisive". He obviously knew they were under attack. Why would he leave his shields down?
Watch TWOK and note how long it actually takes Reliant to raise her shields (a top of the line combat vessel in TOS), your looking at a good 15 seconds there. And no, combat is not the only danger. However the areas in TOS seem to be free of the general "crap of the week" that poped up in later series. And if an Oberth really is slower than the standard TOS warship than it has more time to see and avoid these things.