Variable Geometry Nacelles

Voyager
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Thorin wrote:Even if he was? He was. Look at his posts - it's not like it was a private conversation. This really has very little bearing on my life, I don't need to 'get on' with it. It really got to the point where I can hardly stand talking to him, he uses the same 'this pedestal is mine only' attitude every time he talks with me.
That may be so...but, as has been repeated each and everytime someone talks to you (And you can't seem to absorb it), You had no call to use such an outright and malicious word....
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

There's nothing wrong with swearing at people, either to emphasise your point or out of shear frustration. Being insulting over such a trivial matter as whether the writers should go into the detail of every minor change is simply unnecessary though.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Ahh, so subtle, behind your back style insults and provication is fine, but getting straight to the point isn't. Check.

I don't claim that what I said was particularly friendly or nice, but I do get annoyed when Mikey plays the innocent victim as if it's one way traffic.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Well then there is no point in having this argument...I don't see the point in swearing at someone...ever....so this is moot for me...
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote: Being insulting over such a trivial matter as whether the writers should go into the detail of every minor change is simply unnecessary though.
That's not what I got very annoyed at, as I've said a few times. We've had our disagreements (a couple here and there :wink: ), but I've never called you various four letter words. I don't mind debating with you - even when you're wrong. You at least don't purposefully patronise and provoke, as Mikey always does whenever he talks to me, and in this thread moreso than others. I'm sick of it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thorin wrote:Ahh, so subtle, behind your back style insults and provication is fine, but getting straight to the point isn't. Check.

I don't claim that what I said was particularly friendly or nice, but I do get annoyed when Mikey plays the innocent victim as if it's one way traffic.
Oh, he was being sarky right through the thread, no question about it. My point is that you overreacted to that.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Thorin wrote:He's been awaiting such a response, provoking me constantly.

I don't particularly want to quote every little part, but with a quick glance over his posts if you can't tell where these damned annoying subtle digs are everytime he directs a response at me, I'll be only too willing to.
Well aren't we Mr. High and Mighty? Do you really think he'd push you to insult him, and then leave? Not only is that stupid and doesn't make sense, but very self-centered.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote: Oh, he was being sarky right through the thread, no question about it. My point is that you overreacted to that.
No, sarcasm to make a point is fine, it reiterates from a different view point. He does it in response to anything I say, trying to provoke me - not just being sarcastic to specific points in an arguement, but being sarcastic and insulting about me as a very human being.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

ChakatBlackstar wrote: Well aren't we Mr. High and Mighty? Do you really think he'd push you to insult him, and then leave? Not only is that stupid and doesn't make sense, but very self-centered.
How'd you figure that, then? The fact he made a specific topic trying to garner attention/support makes me wonder about his 'motives', rather than either asking me what's going on or otherwise.

He does this everytime he talks to me, but examples just from this thread;
Mikey wrote: 1) but you really believe this... wow. *backs away slowly*
2) Stop, stop - my ribs can't take it.
3) Yes, yes, very pithy
4) [Thorin] is rather juvenile
5) I am forced to wonder why you choose to participate in this debate
6) don't be intentionally obtuse
That last one in particularly I found rather irritating. How on this planet could he possibly know if I was being intentionally obtuse?!

He puts in these little snide remarks a couple of times every time he posts with a response to mine, not just this topic, but all of them.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Okay, at the risk of being accused of back-seat modding, I'm going to just step in here and say that everyone here needs to calm the hell down.

Thorin, so what if he puts sarcasm or subtle jabs in his posts? Everyone does it. I do it, Teaos does it, Seafort does it, CPH does it, Blackstar does it, Reliant does it, Deep does it, Sunny does it, Graham does it, you do it, we all do it. If you've gotten to the point where simple sarcasm agravates you so much, I'd advise you to take a break from the internet for a few hours. Play a game, watch a film, read a book, go out with some friends, watch some Star Trek, etc.
I've gotten irritated at pretty much everyone on this forum at one point or another during my ridiculously numerous debates with various people. When it gets to the point where I need a break from the arguing, I take a break and come back when I feel more like debating. Just take a rest, and come back later. Trust me, you'll feel much better if you do.

Mikey, I feel you too are also over-reacting a bit on this. Although I haven't followed this debate in it's entirety (the subject didn't interest me, and I only came here after you posted that you were leaving), I think that you and I both know that leaving a forum where you are a popular and well thought of member because someone insulted you (however uncalled for it may have been) is rather ridiculous.
Like I advised Thorin, maybe just taking a short break from the computer for a while would be a good idea, and you can come back when you feel less iritated.
In any case, I sincerely hope you don't leave over this.

For those of us in the audience who just chimed in, let's all give it a rest. We know that there have been severe over-reactions, and I don't think any of us are particularly interested in hearing attempted justification over the crap that's gone on in this thread. My advise is just to let it go, and let the thread die off unless we have something useful to add.

[/soapbox]
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Agreed, this thread needs a nap for a few days.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Rochey wrote: Thorin, so what if he puts sarcasm or subtle jabs in his posts? Everyone does it.
It's bloody well annoying, that's what! He does it so well trying to provoke me. I don't see what other response he was attempting to get from me. Especially 'intentionally obtuse', what an absurd and utterly non-informed comment to make.
As I've said, and presumably you missed, sarcasm about a point in an arguement doesn't bother me. Sarcasm/insults about me, as a person, does.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's bloody well annoying, that's what! He does it so well trying to provoke me. I don't see what other response he was attempting to get from me. Especially 'intentionally obtuse', what an absurd and utterly non-informed comment to make.
Thorin, I've argued with every single person on this forum a minimum of twice. Through those arguments, many insults were sent back and forth from both me and whoever else was debating. I believe you and I even had a couple of particularly heated run-ins. You always have the option of simply ignoring their insult. Just shrug and reply to their main points, it's what I do a lot of the time when I don't want to escalate a debate into a flame-war.
As I've said, and presumably you missed, sarcasm about a point in an arguement doesn't bother me. Sarcasm/insults about me, as a person, does.
And when it annoys you so much, you know it's time to take a break. Sit back, relax, and content yourself in the knowledge that he hasn't the foggiest about you as a person. Then come back and continue the debate when you feel like it. That's the best thing about internet debating; you can just walk away without conceeding the argument.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

That's all good 'n' proper, but the fact is I'm getting all this stick, just because I put my wording rather more bluntly than Mikey. Fair enough, maybe I should have taken a break or whatever, but Mikey consistently does what he's done on this whenever he talks to me, yet the one time I say anything back he 'leaves', makes a thread playing the innocent victim, everyone begs him to come back and reprimands me for 'having a go' back!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I know you're getting a lot of stick over this, which is why I advised everyone to just back off from the whole thing for a while. There's nothing to be gained by bickering anymore when such bickering led to a member of this forum leaving. We all know what happened, and there's no point in everyone dog-piling on you over this.
The best thing to do now, is to just wait and see how everything unfolds.