TR-116

Deep Space Nine
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Teaos wrote:True.

Now this seems as settled as it is going to get how will this thread mutate now?
This thread was about something? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Let's take this in a new direction (without getting off topic). We know that the TR-116 is deeply cool, and why it was designed. We know that officers towards the end of the DS9 series and later TNG movies know about the weapon. We also can think of situations that (given what we 21st century fools know) the TR-116 could perhaps have been used. SO WHY DOESN'T ANYONE USE IT :!: :?: :?: :?: :?: :!: :shock:

I'll take the most obvious (and easiest) two reasons, so we don't keep arguing back and forth about them.

1. The writers are idiots.

2. Everyone in Starfleet is an idiot. (except for the mass murderers, who are merely insane)

So other than those two "cop out" reasons, anyone have an idea of why it is not used?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Jean-Luc Picard, quoting judge Aaron Satie
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I would say that the real question isn't "why isn't it used?", so much as "what is it used for?" The TR-116 is a sniper rifle - its in-built transporter and active-sensor-based scope make it all but useless in a combat environment where enemy jamming would be intense.. Moreover it uses subsonic rounds, which is highly unusual for such a large weapon. What would make sense given these facts would be if it was specifically designed for assassination. The transporter would make determining the origin point of the bullet impossible, and the sniper would not require line-of-sight to the target. He could be kilometres away, shoot, and bug out before local security could locate him.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Captain Seafort wrote:I would say that the real question isn't "why isn't it used?", so much as "what is it used for?" The TR-116 is a sniper rifle - its in-built transporter and active-sensor-based scope make it all but useless in a combat environment where enemy jamming would be intense.. Moreover it uses subsonic rounds, which is highly unusual for such a large weapon. What would make sense given these facts would be if it was specifically designed for assassination. The transporter would make determining the origin point of the bullet impossible, and the sniper would not require line-of-sight to the target. He could be kilometres away, shoot, and bug out before local security could locate him.
Good point. So if I read that right, then your suggestion is that it isn't used because there haven't been many situations in which it actually be useful. Thanks!
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The transporter function could probably be stopped by multiple things (we've seen how plenty of stuff stop ships beaming down, and they likely have more powerfull transporters) and so might not be usefull on the battlefield. I can imagine once this weapon becomes widely know that the other powers begin employing jamming.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I'm pretty sure that the transporter was an add-on, but even so I think you are right, and there are probably proper defenses anyway. Transport inhibitors seem to be standard procedure for Federation and Klingon ground forces, at the very least.

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

DBS wrote:I'm pretty sure that the transporter was an add-on.
It couldn't have been - the targeting system was looking through walls and such, and so must have been designed around a transporter-capable weapon. The mouse-type thing tht controled the targeting was part of the pistol-grip and so must have been part of the design from the outset. Therefore the transporter must also have been part of the design from the outset.
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

I may be mis-remembering the episode. I thought I remembered that the killer custom-modified a TR-116 for his purposes (precisely to confuse investigators). But I could easily be wrong. You certainly are right about how integrated the system was (so if they were added on he spent some time on it making it work).

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Perhaps the scope was also an add on?

<off-topic>
What the hell? Six pages? :?
How can we discuss so much about one weapon?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:Perhaps the scope was also an add on?

<off-topic>
What the hell? Six pages? :?
How can we discuss so much about one weapon?
Possibly because it is so unusual for Trek (or sci-fi in general?) - and the idea is pretty interesting!

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

He didn't modify the the weapon, but selected an existing design that suited his purpose.

And we can't discuss the weapon so much. We can, however, get into completely off-topic discussions about Borg KE shields (or lack thereof).
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

He didn't modify the the weapon, but selected an existing design that suited his purpose.

And we can't discuss the weapon so much. We can, however, get into completely off-topic discussions about Borg KE shields (or lack thereof).
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Another double post?!
Whats going on people?

I don't recall the episode too well so I'll take your word on that.

And we can get into a disscusion about wether or not you can beam bombs into enemy ships. :D
DBS
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DBS »

Rochey wrote:Another double post?!
Whats going on people?

I don't recall the episode too well so I'll take your word on that.

And we can get into a disscusion about wether or not you can beam bombs into enemy ships. :D
I took the liberty of starting one in the Voyager section (called "beaming fun stuff onto enemy ships." Have fun! 8)

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

:lol:
Dear god man! Do you not realise what you have unleashed? :lol:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

To go for a reason that isn't "...is an idiot"

Maybe Starfleet command has to approve all weapons used by it's people and this weapon is still going through the red tape.

Also I think the scope was a add on.

Even if it wasn't it could just be to help you locate someone. Would come in handy even if you couldn't shot them at the time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.