Civilian Ships

Trek Books, Games and General chat
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Civilian Ships

Post by stitch626 »

Any tank would be virtually immune to a cannonball. Damaging any of that stuff I mentioned doesn't actually render it combat ineffective.
Actually, the original tanks were no more durable than a modern car (armour wise), which was great for the time, but useless by today's standards.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

stitch626 wrote:Um, wouldn't that be a volume of 10 m3. Unless I missed something...
It's 1 X 2 X .5
Not 1 X 2 X 5
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Reliant121 wrote:Dun'it (the tank shell) have to be designed to penetrate the armour to actually do anything?
Yes, it'll just ricochet of the armour if it's a cannonball. stitch has a point about the original tanks but I would expect the ball to knock loose rivets and send them flying around (rather like the original AT rounds) rather then make a hole.

An old timey cannon is a fairly low velocity weapon (blackpowder being a slow explosive).
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

stitch626 wrote:Also, is it possible that there is more antimatter than matter in a PT, thus increasing its effectiveness towards physical targets?
Possibly, but the trade off is that you lower its effectiveness against shields. There's also the problem of how you get the antimatter in the warhead in contact with the hull of the target quickly and effectively.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Sionnach Glic wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Um, wouldn't that be a volume of 10 m3. Unless I missed something...
It's 1 X 2 X .5
Not 1 X 2 X 5
Whoops!

Missed the decimal. Now it makes sense.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

stitch626 wrote:
Any tank would be virtually immune to a cannonball. Damaging any of that stuff I mentioned doesn't actually render it combat ineffective.
Actually, the original tanks were no more durable than a modern car (armour wise), which was great for the time, but useless by today's standards.
Modern cars don't have 14mm (~half an inch) of armor....
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:Modern cars don't have 14mm (~half an inch) of armor....
Well, mine...

Uh, yeah. They don't...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

McAvoy wrote:
stitch626 wrote:
Modern cars don't have 14mm (~half an inch) of armor....
Of course not. But the metal of modern cars is more durable than the armour on the first tanks.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Thickness for thickness maybe, but 14mm of that steel is a hell of a lot harder to penetrate then the thing gauge sheet metal they have on cars now.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:Thickness for thickness maybe, but 14mm of that steel is a hell of a lot harder to penetrate then the thing gauge sheet metal they have on cars now.
...or plastic. :P
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Thickness for thickness maybe, but 14mm of that steel is a hell of a lot harder to penetrate then the thing gauge sheet metal they have on cars now.
Indeed. Early tank armour wasn't great, but it was proof against rifle and machine gun fire. Modern cars won't even protect you against pistol fire.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

14mm?
Try 4mm. That was what early tanks started with.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Still better than what's on a car today. And the Mark I went to war with 6 to 12mm, the A7V started off with 20 to 30mm of unhardened steel armor, inferior but still better than the quarter panels of a car.

Seriously, you're just fucking wrong.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Tyyr wrote:Still better than what's on a car today. And the Mark I went to war with 6 to 12mm, the A7V started off with 20 to 30mm of unhardened steel armor, inferior but still better than the quarter panels of a car.

Seriously, you're just f***ing wrong.
Your referencing American or British tanks, while I was referring to tanks in general. And most early Polish tanks had the same armour strength as a modern "armoured" car.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Mark 1 was British, the A7V was German. The first two major tanks to see combat.

First Polish tanks? That's what you're going to reference in relation to WWI tanks instead of the Mark 1 or A7V? And modern armored cars? So what are you talking about, cars or armored cars, there is an ever so slight difference.