Why did Tucker have a southern accent?

Enterprise
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Why did Tucker have a southern accent?

Post by Tyyr »

Rochey wrote:Don't forget the bit where he rams a shuttle into the Enterprise in the pilot as well.
I was giving him a mulligan on that one. It doesn't demonstrate he's a total idiot nearly as well as the other point. Though if you say he's just a bad shuttle pilot he should have first had the sense not to get that close and second seriously rethought telling Mayweather how to fly later on.
me,myself and I wrote:To be fair, that was a symptom of the whole show. B&B were trying so hard to let the audience know that space travel was new and exciting and dangerous that Everyone, with the possible exception of Phlox (yes Phlox) and T'Pol looked like complete and utter morons at one point or another.
It would have been a stupid comment about an aircraft, a piece of technology several centuries older. For someone living in a period of time when interstellar travel was common it's inexcusably moronic, doubly so considering how intelligent he should have been and the fact that he's a "starship," engineer. I get the OOU thing, but even that is just stupid. It doesn't make deep space travel new and exciting, it makes the crew of Enterprise look like a bunch of jackasses.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:
me,myself and I wrote:To be fair, that was a symptom of the whole show. B&B were trying so hard to let the audience know that space travel was new and exciting and dangerous that Everyone, with the possible exception of Phlox (yes Phlox) and T'Pol looked like complete and utter morons at one point or another.
It would have been a stupid comment about an aircraft, a piece of technology several centuries older. For someone living in a period of time when interstellar travel was common it's inexcusably moronic, doubly so considering how intelligent he should have been and the fact that he's a "starship," engineer. I get the OOU thing, but even that is just stupid. It doesn't make deep space travel new and exciting, it makes the crew of Enterprise look like a bunch of jackasses.
Hey, I didn't say their attempt worked ;-)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Phlox was as stupid as the rest of them, and genocidal to boot. I can't recall any specific examples of stupidity from T'Pol, but nothing particularly intelligent either. The only ones who came across as marginally competent were Reed and Mayweather, and they had the problems of being a pyromaniac in one case and having character development that makes Harry Kim's look spectacular in the other.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

That's probably the only reason Mayweather wasn't an idiot - he never got the chance.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ensign who?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I liked Reed, even if he was an overly stiff, upright pompass asshole. It's as if B&B wanted the ultimate American stereotype of what British people are like. But, he at least, had common sense and showed some limited competence at anything.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

And you can sort of forgive his burning desire to blow things up since he's the weapons officer. It kind of comes with the territory.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

After all, you should always enjoy your job :P
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I'd be worried if my weapon's officer didn't like to blow things up.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

"Mr. Reed, fire the photonic torpedoes!"

"But...but...but that will hurt the enemy ship! That's...that's horrible!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Ensign who?
Exactly.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Reed's one of the few people on the whole ship who seemed to have even an ounce of common sense.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

agreed, even if he was a bit over exicited about his weapons.
Genius insania et conseri manum
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I'd rather he was overexcited about blowing shit up (come on, lets face it, it must be fun) than completely disinterested, or even worse, hippy-like
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Haha, I can just picture that.

"Reed, fire at them"

"But what about the peace, and the love, and the drugs.... It's just not psychedelic..."

Yeah, would have been hilarious, and utterly retarded.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang