Dominion War Refit Galaxy-class vs Negh'var-class Cruiser

Deep Space Nine
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Dominion War Refit Galaxy-class vs Negh'var-class Cruiser

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Lt. Staplic wrote:no prob...I remember watching a "Star Wars Tech" show on History channel where some NASA engineers took a look at the flight paths from the X-Wings and demonstrated that for a ship to fly like that in space, there would have to be around 80 pneumatic engines all around the ship, most of which were in places that wouldn't work well (like 10 of them on the nose of the ship, and two actually in the glass covering the cockpit.)
What, it wasn't obvious enough that they wouldn't fly that way? :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

:lol: I just found that particular analysis rather amusing.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:Them too. I think we even voted the Starfury as the greatest SciFi fighter at some point.
Redundant and late though it would be, I vote fore them as well, seeing as I wasn't around for that.

Seriously, they're about the only space fighter design in scifi that actually takes in account just how things work in space.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lighthawk wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:Them too. I think we even voted the Starfury as the greatest SciFi fighter at some point.
Redundant and late though it would be, I vote fore them as well, seeing as I wasn't around for that.

Seriously, they're about the only space fighter design in scifi that actually takes in account just how things work in space.
Late is better then never.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think that was before my time too... maybe...
I agree. Not only did they fly correctly, they looked reasonable.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

and practical.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Not to mention simple and pretty powerful for their size.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

And it gave them a decided advantage over other races fighters. especially the Narn and Centauri.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

And made them pretty useful against captial ships. Seeing them sideways strafe a battle cruiser was pretty sweet.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I could be wrong, but I don't think B5 ships had any shield technology, which is how a small fighter could inflict significant damage to a Battleship.

And I agree, the strafing runs were great :)
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Right, only the super races had shields, though most capital ships had point defense cannons to help compensate.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Centari were "thought" to have had some form of shield tech. However it is also thought that it was only used because it was cheaper to turn on a shield system when needed then have to build and maintain hull armor.

The Membari had shields but they were ECM for stealth and sensor jamming. They weren't used in the protection of the ship's hull.

The Vorlons and Shadows both used shields but that was to help disperse energy blasts. Once over taken the bio hulls quickly fell apart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shields in B5 took the opposite position as ST shields. In B5, armor was superior, in ST, shields were superior.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Deepcrush wrote:The Centari were "thought" to have had some form of shield tech. However it is also thought that it was only used because it was cheaper to turn on a shield system when needed then have to build and maintain hull armor.

The Membari had shields but they were ECM for stealth and sensor jamming. They weren't used in the protection of the ship's hull.

The Vorlons and Shadows both used shields but that was to help disperse energy blasts. Once over taken the bio hulls quickly fell apart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Shields in B5 took the opposite position as ST shields. In B5, armor was superior, in ST, shields were superior.
I rather liked that approach really. Actually, I rather like a lot of B5's take on tech, the armor, the jump points, having point defense weapons, spinning ships for gravity...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

B5 was probably one of the only series that actively tried to make things believable. It was a Brilliant series, I have to say.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Reliant121 wrote:B5 was probably one of the only series that actively tried to make things believable. It was a Brilliant series, I have to say.
They only used as much tech as they needed to let the series work. I also liked that earth wasn't the prime power in the area either.