Re'deridex

Deep Space Nine
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Re'deridex

Post by Captain Seafort »

Besides which the Sov is a good forty metres longer than the GCS. It's less massive because it's a slimmer design and has fewer decks.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I have to agree with Dusk's point, though. We haven't seen a D'deridex facing the same opponent as a Norexan/Valdore, and we have no canon on the design intention or true capabilities. Sure, a pair of Valdores got smoked by a wank-ship, so we can say that they are considerably weaker than a Sov; but we haven't seen the D'deridex in a comparable situation. As to size - the D'deridex has a lot of open space, and is theorized to include space for troops a/o to look intimidating.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, despite its dimensions, I think the D'Deridex is only slightly more massive than the GCS. And keep in mind, we know nothing about the internals of such ships. They could very well be the jack-of-all-trades design that the GCS is, or a pure warship like the Sov.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

Theoretically a stealthy ship like the D'D could get by with less armor and shields than an uncloaked vessel. They could use the cloaking device to pick and choose their engagements so that they always have a concentration of force against a weaker opponent. Simply de-cloak and let rip. A force of 1/2 dozen Warbirds could probably destroy most smallish fleets before they even had time to respond.

Of course, there's no reason for them to actually purposefully design a ship like that, the Defiant had both a cloak and good shields and armor. So who knows what the Romulans were thinking?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, I'm betting psychological warfare for the most part. I mean, a HUGE ship is damned intimidating.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

SteveK wrote:Theoretically a stealthy ship like the D'D could get by with less armor and shields than an uncloaked vessel. They could use the cloaking device to pick and choose their engagements so that they always have a concentration of force against a weaker opponent. Simply de-cloak and let rip. A force of 1/2 dozen Warbirds could probably destroy most smallish fleets before they even had time to respond.

Of course, there's no reason for them to actually purposefully design a ship like that, the Defiant had both a cloak and good shields and armor. So who knows what the Romulans were thinking?
The problem is that you can't always pick your battles. Ships on high alert will have sheilds up and weapons at the ready. When the Warbirds decloak they'll have several seconds where they are without shields to protect them. That is a very bad thing since the avg Romulan hull is about as tough as wood and their sheilds aren't much better.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:The problem is that you can't always pick your battles. Ships on high alert will have sheilds up and weapons at the ready. When the Warbirds decloak they'll have several seconds where they are without shields to protect them. That is a very bad thing since the avg Romulan hull is about as tough as wood and their sheilds aren't much better.
I've no idea where this "Romulans have weak shields" brainbug has come from - "Message in a Bottle" shows that they're as strong, if not stronger, than those of a Nebula-class starship, which is no weakling.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

A ship twice the size having only equal shields to a weaker ship. Thats a bad label for shields. That would be like a cruiser with better armor then a Battleship.

EDIT!

Wait, it is a cruiser that matches a battleship!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Twice the length, perhaps. But is it twice the mass?
Remember, mass is a better way to determine this stuff than length.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Don't know about the mass, thats for someone who's better with math to figure out. Fact is that their top of the line ship was only equal to the second rate ship of the line of the UFP.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Now, looking at what memory alpha has on the Nebula:
It is unknown, precisely, which class spawned the other, or if they were designed simultaneously. The only chronological evidence that exists can be determined by a comparison of dedication plaques, which reveals that the Nebula-class Phoenix was commissioned (on stardate 40250.5) just a short time before the launch (stardate 40759.5) of the Galaxy-class USS Enterprise-D.
While considered more than a match for a Cardassian supply ship, the Nebula-class was also capable of successfully withstanding a direct hit from a Cardassian warship as a result of an unshielded attack. (TNG: "The Wounded") They were, however, unable to single-handedly withstand an assault from wing of Cardassian destroyers.
Info found here:
It made me wonder, considering that the Nebula seems closely matched to the Galaxy in terms of mass (only the Galaxy's neck isn't present on the Nebula, although some have pods to compensate for), and since they were develloped pretty much at the same time, I see no reason to consider the Nebula much weaker then a Galaxy, if at all.

Is there any reason we should consider them significantly weaker then a Galaxy?
(Deepcrush, I'll understand if you don't want to participate in this discussion :poke: )
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Praeothmin wrote:(Deepcrush, I'll understand if you don't want to participate in this discussion :poke: )
Dude, don't poke the bear...

I see the Neb as about equal to the Galaxy, and the weapon pod version being quite a bit more powerful (torpedo spam!).
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Is there any reason we should consider them significantly weaker then a Galaxy?
(Deepcrush, I'll understand if you don't want to participate in this discussion :poke: )
You are as tricky as you are annoying! But yes! I will participate in this discussion, so long as you remember to read before you respond... :poke:

Off hand there really isn't much difference. We know that SF sees the GCS as thier best at the time. Also the Neb lacks the same number of phasers and without the weapons pod they lack any PTLs at all.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Deepcrush wrote:You are as tricky as you are annoying! But yes! I will participate in this discussion, so long as you remember to read before you respond
Promised... :mrgreen:
Also the Neb lacks the same number of phasers and without the weapons pod they lack any PTLs at all.
I agree that they'll probably lack one or 2 lesser Phaser strips, but I was under the impression that the Nebula did have PTLs even without the pod.
:confused:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

None that are canon as far as I know. The PTLs on the GCS are on the neck. The Neb has no neck and no signs of PTLs elsewhere.