The NX-01... or my version thereof

Showcase your own starship and weapon designs or other creative artwork
Tiberius
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Tiberius »

What's so bad about Enterprise using phase pistols? Sure, TOS has lasers in the first episode, but who's to say that TOS is the correct? When you think about it, lasers really aren't that good a weapon, it was just used back then because people thought it would sound cool. The producers quickly realised the limitations placed on them by lasers as evidenced by their rapid change to phasers.

Also, who's to say that the term "laser" wasn't just a slang term for a phase pistol anyway?

Let's not say that they must have used lasers just because 1 or 2 episodes of TOS use the word. We've discounted things before that were mentioned even more often.
Go and read my fan fic "The Hansen Diaries"! And leave comments!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It was specifically stated in TNG's "A Matter of Time" that there were no phasers in the 22nd century. Missing off a single constanant does not convince me that phase pistols are not, in fact, some form of phaser, particularly since they seemed to behave in exactly the same way.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Oh god yes. For those not in the know, the Culture is uber-peaceful most of the time. They build warships with names like "Dubious Use of Resources". One ship which was eighty kilometres long was called the "Size Isn't Everything"...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Am I misremembering, or was there also a ship called Meatfucker in one book?
Great books. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Any particular title or author I could look up in my library?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Rochey wrote:Am I misremembering, or was there also a ship called Meatfucker in one book?
Great books. :)
Yeah. Once they got into a shooting war, a lot of the ships started to pick names that were rather more... disturbing.

Mikey : Iain M. Banks is the man. Consider Phlebas is probably a good introduction to the scale of the Culture universe. My personal favourite is called Use of Weapons... but be warned, it's got a rather strange structure. Banks is on record as saying all books should have a beginning, a middle, and an end... but not necessarily in that order.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Yeah. Once they got into a shooting war, a lot of the ships started to pick names that were rather more... disturbing.
They still had something of a sense of humour though - the GSV that destroyed Vavatech Orbital was operating under the temporary name Eschatologist. :lol:
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

How have I not heard of these?! I'm going to have to put off my continuing delvings into the Black Library.

BTW -
Tiberius wrote:What's so bad about Enterprise using phase pistols? Sure, TOS has lasers in the first episode, but who's to say that TOS is the correct?
TOS was first in RL, so what was said in it is the establishment of the universe. TOS had no prior story to try to maintain; ENT had one which it chose to ignore.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Crushproof
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Crushproof »

Bump.

Yeah, I'm relatively back, and I gotta say I'm just not feeling this one. It's a nice attempt but just doesn't seem "trek" to me.
"It is the way of all Empires, old Comrade, to fall prey to the next" ~Mirror Chekov
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: The NX-01... or my version thereof

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Bump. Question about the ship...does it have shields?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I'm thinking not.
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

GrahamKennedy wrote:I'm thinking not.
Why not? Shield technologies are already in developement *right now*, so why wouldn't the NX-01 have a rudimentary shield?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The shield tech in development now is nothing like Trek shields though.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Why not? Shield technologies are already in developement *right now*, so why wouldn't the NX-01 have a rudimentary shield?

It is? Can you provide a link?
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cpl Kendall wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote: Why not? Shield technologies are already in developement *right now*, so why wouldn't the NX-01 have a rudimentary shield?

It is? Can you provide a link?
We were told it is in the 'How Star Trek changed the World' special on the History Channel.