BETA SIM OOC THREAD

Moderator: Lt. Staplic

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: STAPLIC SIM OOC THREAD

Post by Reliant121 »

Okay, the current level is what you have already. I'll explain the ones that I know and how they help. Basically, this bit is for improving your ability to either get money, develop technology, or reduce costs in designing things.

Educational Improvement: Money into the education. populace gets better education, better jobs, GDP gets higher meaning you get more money from taxes.

Export manufacturing: Increases the amount of material you can export in trade agreements

Consumer manufacturing: Sort of plowing money into the economy. Just increases GDP, better standard of living and stuff. (this is like my Geography GCSE again).

Defense production: not sure, but...I'm guessing its reducing the cost of producing starships?

Weapon design: reducing cost of developing new weapons?

ship design: Reducing cost of developing new starships?

The last the are ones I'm not sure of.

The yellow is the what you already have. Red is what you WANT to have. If you have a current level of say, 1 in any of them. If you want to go up a level, you set the red field to 2. That adds more to whatever it is you spent money in. it costs a fair bit, say a 1,000,000 for a single level increase in educational improvement and it costs 1,000,000 for that single year. But it will give a consistent boost to NEXT YEARS income.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, makes sense. That was my big one for the moment.

The colony names in my spreadsheet were locked. Do I need to pass them along to the GM or unlock and input myself?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Oooh...Locked?

Try talking that with your GM, when big did ours they were unlocked. Depends how your GM intends to run it, if you mail the names to the GM and see what he does for the next turn. i cant remember who your GM is, is it Staplic?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah.

Damn, my economy is shit. Guess it's to be expected but damn.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

For the most part, you're gonna be spending good 10-20 years rebuilding for the CU, got plenty of time to do it. Put as much money as you can into your consumer manufacturing and educational improvement, bump up taxes a bit (unless its already something ridiculously high) and see if you can get a few newer ship designs. The Galor's, which are classified as a destroyer (I think) have a mass of 1600KT IIRC and that makes it insanely expensive, when you think of the ideal destroyer being around 500KT. For a DD 1000 is pretty big, making 1600KT like a mini cruiser. Plus it has a crew of some 300. Its both obsolete and very expensive to maintain (high mass means high hull maintenance, high crew...high pay). If you can get hold of the design for something like a Defiant or something which is a lot more economic for its firepower, then you're in a pretty good position to retire or mothball the Galor and Keldon fleets.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yeah, I'm juggling my thinking right now. I like the Hideki. While it's pretty weak it's also dirt cheap.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Depending on how capable you're design capability is, you can upgrade it by naming a new design in the RnD tab Hideki MkII, or Hideki Model B or something like that and just adding to the firepower like hell.

It will be quite expensive. If you think about the DITL calculator ratings for designs, it wont be long before things start shooting up the CR rating.

Put it this way, the average DITL Rating for a Destroyer is around...2500 maybe? (where an original Galaxy is 1000).

it's gonna be veeery costly to put it into a hull as small as the hideki. Unless you had a Hideki of say 1000 DITL rating and just spam people with them :twisted:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

R&D issue now. I'm tweaking the ratings on the top half of the page but no cost is being assessed to my bottom line. Normal or what?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Hmmm...Not sure. I'd say save a copy, mail it to your GM and see what he says.

keep in mind it wont show any figures till a mass is entered.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, so I have to keep cell B5 with a mass in it even if I'm not looking to make improvements there?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Depends what your improving. If you are trying to upgrade a ship, then it must be an identical mass to the previous design (For a hideki, it will be 150).

If your just upgrading technology then you dont....Depends on what your upgrading.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, my screw up, was messing with the ship designer.

How do I make improvements if I want to increase the max shields or armor of my ships?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I think you have to PM or email the GM and ask for a "quote". thats as far as I know anyway.

Try sending a message to one of the GM's or a long standing player, I'm still fairly new to it all.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Thanks. I'll talk to Staplic and see what I can find out.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by BigJKU316 »

To answer a pile of questions...

Colonies are locked because he was not going to allow colonization early on I would guess.

Reliant has the fields for the improvements pretty much right. Its a one time cost to go up a level and everything caps at 10.

Your economy is in trouble because transitional governments don't make much money by design. That designation is designed to be a punishment for anyone who basically loses it all and has to start over. It will improve dramatically whenever you get on your own two feet.

The R&D calculator is somewhat screwy at times because it is very hard to make things work for all the races invovled given the different relations between mass, weapons rating, speed and so on but here is a basic rundown.

Yes, you always have to have mass in there. A command turns any ship with a mass of 1 into a cost of 0, even though some of the fields will still show numbers. Basically your cost work like this. The bigger a ship is the harder it is to make it go fast. So if you have a big ship you will pay dearly for speed. On the other end a big ship has a lot more room for weapons and shields. Given an equal amount of firepower your R&D cost will be less to fit it onto something the size of a Galaxy Class than it would to fit it onto a Defiant sized ship.

So you have to strike a balance between R&D cost and procurment & maintenence cost, which are driven entierly by the mass of the ship. Something like the Defiant, if we set the base back to the Galaxy Class, I believe took nearly a decade to put together primarily because of huge cost in packing that firepower into that size of ship.

Shields are something you can set as high as you want, they are not their own R&D category really but are driven by the power that is needed to put up the design.

You can design better weapons and torpedo launchers concurrently with ships. Just tell Staplic what you want to do as far as component R&D (torps and weapons) and he can set the baselines up for the ship you are designing. Then you just need to make sure the ships R&D takes as long as the weapons as it won't enter service until everything is ready.

Your baseline only goes up when the ship you R&D enters service, that is why you sort of have what I would refer to as a generational ship (like the Galaxy Class or Sovereign Class) which sort of drags a bunch of tech forward for a huge cost. Once you have done that the R&D on say a light cruiser with overall less mass and less weapons is pretty dirt cheap. Its the big leaps that set you back. And miniturization. High end, high powered destroyers are always expensive by design.