Alpha Star Trek Sim discussion

Moderator: BigJKU316

BigJKU316
Captain
Captain
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Trek Sim discussion

Post by BigJKU316 »

Setting up the Tholians I have a question for the group. What sort of government are they? Is it a clan like system? Are they some sort of hive mind? I am not sure what they really are.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

BigJKU316 wrote:Setting up the Tholians I have a question for the group. What sort of government are they? Is it a clan like system? Are they some sort of hive mind? I am not sure what they really are.
The ONE book i've read including them has them as a caste-type system (warrior, diplomatic, artisan, philosophic and the like) with a limited hive mind. They are all nominally connected but have the ability to either withdraw from the link completely or establish their own limited network between a group of them.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah, that was a flop of several kinds... :lol:

Not sure how well it was going to go with both the Klingons and the Romulans in the same room. Though I think I played the Klingons well. So there's that much at least.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:Yeah, that was a flop of several kinds... :lol:

Not sure how well it was going to go with both the Klingons and the Romulans in the same room. Though I think I played the Klingons well. So there's that much at least.
Aye, the blustering posturing and flip-flopping was quite accurate :lol: And yes, having the Klingons and Romulans in the same room is probably a bad idea.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Well, most Klingons have two moods. Talking about the glories of themselves and friends or... killing stuff. :lol:
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I vaguely remember hearing of the Tholian Assembly, so does that make them at least a limited democracy?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I vaguely remember hearing of the Tholian Assembly, so does that make them at least a limited democracy?
Again, my information is coming from "Star Trek The Lost Era: The Sundered" but it does seem to be a limited assembly with power and position denoted by caste, IE Warriors have more influence on external policy than artisans but say less than Diplomats
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I vaguely remember hearing of the Tholian Assembly, so does that make them at least a limited democracy?
Hive mind/democracy? It could work... it would also lead to an insanely stable government and population IMO.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

On a side note, where do we go from here?

The cloak conference failed, the KE and RSE have sparred in words which could easily turn to something else, the major powers are all hurting from the Dominion War, the lesser powers now have a chance to grow...

These are interesting times, but we still have no clue in what direction we are going in.
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Deepcrush wrote:On a side note, where do we go from here?

The cloak conference failed, the KE and RSE have sparred in words which could easily turn to something else, the major powers are all hurting from the Dominion War, the lesser powers now have a chance to grow...

These are interesting times, but we still have no clue in what direction we are going in.
There is no real set direction. About the only rule at this point is that there is no shooting at each other the next two turns (for obvious reasons with the turn length). Once that is over the game just sort of runs until someone has such an advantage there is little point in playing.

In theory, one could win without firing a shot themselves by simply having everyone else wipe each other out and being so powerful that everyone is terrified of messing with them.

But if it gets boring the Borg or Dominion might show up, or other tricks which I have worked out already to spice things up.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

A renewed Dominion War??? With ten or even twenty years to grow! The Empire (me) would love that! The full might of the post war Dominion against the combined might of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants! :happydevil:

EDIT!

Big, I was more talking to the other players as to what they felt like doing...
BigJKU316
Captain
Captain

Post by BigJKU316 »

Deepcrush wrote:A renewed Dominion War??? With ten or even twenty years to grow! The Empire (me) would love that! The full might of the post war Dominion against the combined might of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants! :happydevil:

EDIT!

Big, I was more talking to the other players as to what they felt like doing...
Yeah, I was aware. Just stating that if things get boring there are lots of ways to shake things up.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, I wouldn't say the conference failed. Just, didn't go anywhere.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Damn Stitch, just pull the rug out from everyone why don't you! :shock:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

:lol: Well, I felt like doing something drastic and unexpected... and that was the only thing I could come up with.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.