Star Wars engineering blunders

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars engineering blunders

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:That would fit the VenStar well, but I think the ISD is best thought of as a counterinsurgency platform - its the role that best fits its combination of starfighters, troops and big guns.
Sorry, missed this. I fully agree with both you and Rochey on points made.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The only bizzare thing is the size discrepancy between the largest and smallest cruisers. The largest "cruisers" would wind up being 50 to 90 times larger than the smallest. That's a huge range.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:Says who? Sure, he was talking about cruisers planetside. When he didn't have have the fleet breathing down his neck.
Umm, I'm not sure what this sentence means... Could you clear it up a bit?
I'm saying that there was no immediate threat, therefore he wasn't stressed, therefore he's more likely to be using a precise classification. In space, figuring out just what was after them was minor issue - all he knew was that there were a bunch of big Imp ships coming his way, therefore he wasn't interested in identifying exactly what class or type they were, or explaining that to his passengers - his priorities were not getting hit, and getting out of there.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote:The only bizzare thing is the size discrepancy between the largest and smallest cruisers. The largest "cruisers" would wind up being 50 to 90 times larger than the smallest. That's a huge range.
The EU has a fairly extensive fleet of ships of varying sizes that fill in the gaps. Check out the Imperial Navy article on Wookieepedia.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Rochey wrote:The EU has a fairly extensive fleet of ships of varying sizes that fill in the gaps. Check out the Imperial Navy article on Wookieepedia.
They've invented a lot of ships sure but that's still like classifying everything from a riverine patrol boat up to an Iowa class battleship under the same heading.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I'm saying that there was no immediate threat, therefore he wasn't stressed, therefore he's more likely to be using a precise classification. In space, figuring out just what was after them was minor issue - all he knew was that there were a bunch of big Imp ships coming his way, therefore he wasn't interested in identifying exactly what class or type they were, or explaining that to his passengers - his priorities were not getting hit, and getting out of there.
For a civ that would work. Problem is though, I've never mistaken a truck for a tank. He spoke openly about it, and IMO seemed pretty sure of what he said. Again, while this could be debated as a matter of opinion. There is another canon source supporting it. For me, that leaves no room for anything but calling them by the canon statements provided.

Like you said, we'll agree to disagree.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Tyyr wrote:The only bizzare thing is the size discrepancy between the largest and smallest cruisers. The largest "cruisers" would wind up being 50 to 90 times larger than the smallest. That's a huge range.
True but this wasn't a problem until the Rise of the Empire. Until then, ship brackets remained much the same for 28,000 years.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:For a civ that would work. Problem is though, I've never mistaken a truck for a tank.
You probably could, however, mistake a corvette or for a cruiser if you were desperately trying to get away from it. He only had a brief glance, and one wedge-form Imperial ship looks very much like another.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

First off, there weren't any corvette model SDs. Second, Solo wasn't looking out the window, he was looking at a sensor screen. Third, he's a former Imperial Fleet Officer, safe bet says he knows what he's talking about. Forth, we have an outside canon source supporting what he said. Fifth, his statement has never been reconned or disputed by any canon source. Sixth, Solo spoke of the same ships planet side.

Three canon sources, six different support statements, one ship class. All saying the same thing. In SW, the ISD is a cruiser.

I thought we agreed to disagree?