Borg invasion

Trek Books, Games and General chat
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Borg invasion

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hmm, I don't believe any mention of actual tractoring. I just inferred it, coupled with the Borg slicing away a section of the E-D in their first encounter. Seemed like a Borg tactic. I'll admit, I could be wrong.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I always got the impression that they used tractor beams, I dont see how else they could pick up those settlements and sections.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, that's the most likely answer.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm not saying Striker couldn't be right; just that there was no indication that those towns were "bodily" removed rather than just destroyed.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Doesn't someone on the Ent-D's bridge make a comment that "It looks like they were just scooped up off the ground."? That sounds a lot like a tractor beam to me. They'd know what it looks like if something was just blasted from orbit. At the time the Borg are far more likely to harvest than destroy.
Last edited by Tyyr on Thu May 28, 2009 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Didnt they say "scoped off the surface"? If so tractor beam really seems to be the only option.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Jinx.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

*Waves arms and points at name badge*

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They used a simile to liken the settlements' absence to being scooped off the surface. IIRC, there was no claim that they actually were scooped off the surface.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

In the Neutral Zone episode where other settlements are destroyed they say there is no sign of conventional weapons or attack. Borg use convential weapons, just really powerful ones.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's fair enough, and I never said that the settlements definitely weren't tractored away. I'm jsut saying that the dialog doesn't quite state that.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

It makes more sense for them to have been tractored up, the borg destroy only when directly threatened, and even then they'll often choose to assemulate if they can manage it. A couple of small colonies certainly couldn't have provided a very big threat to a cube.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, yes, I got it! Like I just said, my only point was that the dialogue itself didn't state that the settlements were scooped off the surface - just that the appearance was "as if" they were scooped off the surface. They certainly could have been, and there are good arguments for it. It just wasn't stated in dialogue except in metaphor.
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Wasn't trying to rub it in or anything, just adding my two credits. No one had mentioned that the borg don't usually engage in pointless acts of destruction, so it seemed worth adding.
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

What about The Dominion? the borg cube reach dominion space and begin assimilate people, ships whatever till finally found a jemhadar attack ship and assimilate that one too; then what?
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!