Nog as a starfleet officer

Deep Space Nine
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Nog as a starfleet officer

Post by KuvahMagh »

I'm guessing since every other one has been scrapped, sold or wrecked he means;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Liverpool_(D92)
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

KuvahMagh wrote:Was that before or after 9/11. On a side note, I would love to visit Victory.
Before.

Getting close to military hardware isn't that hard even now. If you go to the Fairford Airshow you walk within feet of billions of pounds worth of aircraft. There's a rather prefunctory search on the gate but it would be easy to smuggle something in.

me,myself and I : the last one, the Type 42.

I've been on Victory, by the way, this last summer. Got a whole slew of pictures. Great ship, unbelievably cramped!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Getting close to military hardware isn't that hard even now. If you go to the Fairford Airshow you walk within feet of billions of pounds worth of aircraft. There's a rather prefunctory search on the gate but it would be easy to smuggle something in.
Oh I know, I was just wondering though since neither of those ships is all that new, F302 was Commissioned back in '66.

I visited HMCS Kingston this past summer when it made a stop in Hamilton here, they don't even search or get your name, just line up, go on for the tour and get off, they don't even make sure you get off since there were people who stayed on for the next group. If you really wanted to try something you could since the only thing I saw stopping it was a single Sailor armed with a 9mm, all the others were unarmed, though I would not be surprised if there were others below deck just in case.

I got to see a F-117 back when they first started taking them around to airshows when I was in Trenton. They had 2 US Soldiers, can't remember what branch, each with an M-16. There were two sets of rope around the Plane, go past level one and you get a warning shot, go past the second 1 and your dead.
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I've been on the Victory and the Warrior (assuming we are talking about the HMS of each). they are both spectacular ships, and both a 20 minute drive + 10 minute ferry ride from me.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

I've been to HMCS Haida and Sackville... Haidi is onlyh about a half hour away but Sackville is halfway across the Country.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've been aboard the USS Missouri a few times. DAMN, that's an impressive ship. It's decommissioned and posted at Pearl Harbor. I've also been aboard the USS Bowfin, an old diesel submarine. Now, THAT boat was super cramped. Men were sleeping side by side with torpedoes, and I REALLY don't know how they didn't kill each other in those cramped quarters.

By the way, I nearly knocked myself out by not ducking low enough to get through one of those hatches.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I visited both at Pearl Harbor as well. I'm not sure the Mighty Mo is decomissioned, though - she had been mothballed, but brought back into service a few times, most recently in Desert Shield.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

She was decommissioned for the last time in '92 and Struck from the Registry in '95. As of now there are no Active Serving Battleships left.
Last edited by KuvahMagh on Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I thought she was, after Desert Shield, but I wasn't positive. But yeah, it is a damned impressive ship. You really don't know what a 16-inch gun means until you see the barrel of one up close and personal.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

BFG

'Nuff said 8)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:I visited both at Pearl Harbor as well. I'm not sure the Mighty Mo is decomissioned, though - she had been mothballed, but brought back into service a few times, most recently in Desert Shield.
I was on her sister the New Jersey. A very impressive ship. You get a small sense of, "They just don't make em like they used to.." I realize today's destroyers, frigates, and cruisers are probably much more capable but for pure intimidation factor you can't beat watching a big battlewagon coming over the horizon and realizing you are in for a world of hurt. It's a much more tangible threat then cruisers that can't be seen firing missiles.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I've been on several ships... Two battleships, an aircraft carrier, what I think was a frigate and a submarine. Though the battleship was fun too be aboard. The greatest for me was the USS Yorktown, now thats a big f***ing boat!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'm planning to visit the Battleship Texas down in San Jacinto either this year or early next year. Hurricane Ike didn't even scratch her. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I was also abaord the USS Intrepid, which is now moored at Manhattan and serves as a military museum. I remember standing by the edge of the flight deck, looking down, and thinking of Chekov in STIV. :lol:

There is really nothing like an aircraft carrier to give you a sense of persepctive.
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey wrote:I was also abaord the USS Intrepid, which is now moored at Manhattan and serves as a military museum. I remember standing by the edge of the flight deck, looking down, and thinking of Chekov in STIV. :lol:

There is really nothing like an aircraft carrier to give you a sense of persepctive.
Does it really feel like a small city?