Worst ship design in sci-fi?

Everything else
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:Yes, so the Superlaser couldn't hit the Rebel ships without damaging or destroying Imperial ships. They were already shooting at the ISDs before they closed.
I'm going to have to rewatch that movie. I don't remember seeing them exchange fire at that range.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, now that I think about it, I'm not sure whether they were firing at each other. I know for a fact that the Imperial fleet was ready to open fire, but didn't on the Emperor's orders. Still, the fact that they were able to fire at each other is just as good.
Also, I think you can see the two fleets exchanging fire on each other through the window in the Emperor's throne room on the DSII.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It isn't clear in the close-up fleet shots, but from the Emperor's throne room you can see the flashes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:That's clearly a laser bolt hitting a shield.
Ties did not have shields.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Uh, we just went into a long debate over TIEs having shields, you know. :P
Take a look a few pages back.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Jim wrote:
No, ties do not have shields. In fact, it is very rare for pieces of clothing to have shields. TIE fighters, on the other hand, are equipped with shields in some cases, as the picture you've snipped out demonstrates.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Jim wrote:
No, ties do not have shields. In fact, it is very rare for pieces of clothing to have shields. TIE fighters, on the other hand, are equipped with shields in some cases, as the picture you've snipped out demonstrates.

I just found wookipedia, that place rocks!
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/ln_starfighter
Shields were available later on (*After* ROTJ) as an upgrade, but it hurt the fighters performance so it was not usually done.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

1) Wookeepedia, while usually extremely accurate, is still a wiki, and a mention of its primary source would be more useful. In this case it doesn't mention primary sources.

2) The source in question is EU, and therefore subordinate to the canon films - from whence comes the picture above, depicting a shielded TIE.
Last edited by Captain Seafort on Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Is it possible that the fighters recieved an upgrade because they were in Vaders squadron?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

That would be a logical assumption for the possibly shielded fighter in the trench, but not the one in the picture Jim snipped - that was one of the ones destroyed during the Falcon's escape. Since those fighters were never intended to suceed, as Vader was using th bugged Flacon to lead the Death Star to the main rebel base, it makes no sense to use shielded TIEs if they were in any way special.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote:That would be a logical assumption for the possibly shielded fighter in the trench, but not the one in the picture Jim snipped - that was one of the ones destroyed during the Falcon's escape. Since those fighters were never intended to suceed, as Vader was using th bugged Flacon to lead the Death Star to the main rebel base, it makes no sense to use shielded TIEs if they were in any way special.
Come to think of it, why did the pilots pursue? They should've known it was a suicide mission, since they were supposed let the Falcon go. I know most TIE pilots are nuts but, intentionally suicidal?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

The pilots probably weren't told that the intention was to allow the Falcon's escape - they were probably sent out with orders to stop it, but with insufficient numbers to achieve that end. Since the Flacon had been sat in the hanger for some time, it's reasonable to assume that the limits of it's firepower and protection were known to Vader, if not the TIE pilots.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I've got a new ship to hate on!

The EarthForce Hyperion! This thing was crap! Let the ranting begin!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It wasn't a great ship, but there were others in the EA that eclipsed it in terms of stupid designs.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Rochey wrote:It wasn't a great ship, but there were others in the EA that eclipsed it in terms of stupid designs.
Like the Omega?

*Sees ST vs. SW and runs the other way*