US presidential elections and the wider world

In the real world
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

High above, the Fortress of Pastry orbits the Earth, its solemn form highlighted by the setting sun. It fires thrusters to slowly, gently change its orbit. As it finally slides into position, the great doors on the underside of the station lumber open, silent to the space-borne observer.

And from those doors, a creamy armageddon in a flaky pastry crust is unleashed upon the world.

None were spared. NOT EVEN THE CHILDREN.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:I believe I'd mentioned this in a different thread, but it bears repeating at this juncture - you're welcome for not having to speak German right now.
And you're welcome for not having to speak French or Spanish. We could carry on with "who's saved whose collective backside from who" all day.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

the reason that we're not speaking german right now, is not just down to america, whether through lend lease or the sacrifices of its noble youth, despite the jingoistic john wayne films and somewhat polarised political educations, but down to the sacrifice of the millions, that undertook in that behemoth of a conflict from americans to uzbekis, regardless of the size of any contribution in men or material, i would hope that the USA does not morally claim any sort of sole or majority credit for the outcome of the second world war to the detriment of the other nations present.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Leave it to Granitehewer to take all the fun out of sniping.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:Ah, a civil war - the only sort where Americans can be trusted to shoot at the right nationality all the time.
This isn't entirely true... :?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:This isn't entirely true... :?
Then name one war when the US military wasn't responsible for at one serious blue-on-blue.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I was talking about a 'minor' mistake were a union ship mistook a spainish merchant for a rebel frigate since they look so much alike (THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE YOU STUPID BLUE BACK!) it would be understandable to misplace a shot or two (OVER 100 CANNON SHOT POURED INTO THE SIZE OF A STEAMBOAT YOU F** INBRED!). Such things happen in war. Even if you are meant to shoot at a flag with crossed stars and you instead shoot at one with a taco on it. Again the ability of Americans to aim is proven proper.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

We're getting better! Lately we're only hitting British and Canadian forces. :P

(Seriously though friendly fire isn't just an American thing, we just have a lot more units fighting and we're often the ones with the airplanes supporting other nations ground forces which is a situation where something is more likely to go wrong.)
Last edited by sunnyside on Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well done, you've graduated from shooting your own soldiers, to shooting your ally's soldiers. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Well you brits did choose to have a flag that looks like a target and then stick it on your tanks.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Since when did we paint flags on our tanks.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Granitehewer wrote:the reason that we're not speaking german right now, is not just down to america, whether through lend lease or the sacrifices of its noble youth, despite the jingoistic john wayne films and somewhat polarised political educations, but down to the sacrifice of the millions, that undertook in that behemoth of a conflict from americans to uzbekis, regardless of the size of any contribution in men or material, i would hope that the USA does not morally claim any sort of sole or majority credit for the outcome of the second world war to the detriment of the other nations present.
The Soviet Union was the key to defeating Nazism in Europe. America was the key to beating Imperial Japan.

But if you go back a generation earlier if it weren't for our Doughboys WWI would have ended very differently. Russia had lost and one million hardened vets were on their way to the western front. America would have gave victory to whichever side they joined.

Far as the friendly comment is concerned I think that's a typical aspect of war.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Deepcrush wrote:I was talking about a 'minor' mistake were a union ship mistook a spainish merchant for a rebel frigate since they look so much alike (THEY LOOK NOTHING ALIKE YOU STUPID BLUE BACK!) it would be understandable to misplace a shot or two (OVER 100 CANNON SHOT POURED INTO THE SIZE OF A STEAMBOAT YOU F** INBRED!). Such things happen in war. Even if you are meant to shoot at a flag with crossed stars and you instead shoot at one with a taco on it. Again the ability of Americans to aim is proven proper.
By the way did Deep's post get edited by a mod, just have very weird phrasing, or is this my first experience with multiple personalities at a keyboard?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Naw, that's just Deep going crazy again. You get used to it, after a while. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Still curious to see what deep says.

@ Reliant121 I don't think you paint flags on the tanks, instead they just fly them so that aircraft can tell who is who.

However painting the flag on in addition would probably be a good idea since one flag looks very much like another when it isn't wide open. Also it could be hard to see from air.