Ship of the week: Breen frigate

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

There is evidence, however, of the Breen interacting (via piracy, slaving, trade) with other civilizations - with whom, in turn, the Federation interacted. I still think it more likely that the energy-dampening weapon was a recent wartime development.

I agree with Peabody - the design is, well, alien in its color variations, layout, and asymmetrical design; rather the one-off's which are just cosmetically different that we've seen so often.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think the shape and colour may have something to do with the organic hull. Which is a interesting feature since we know of almost no one who uses organic hulls.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

Rochey wrote: And Omen, that is one ugly ship :| .
HEY!! i didnt make it, i show it how it is :P

blame the makers of ST
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I think the shape and colour may have something to do with the organic hull. Which is a interesting feature since we know of almost no one who uses organic hulls.
VERY interesting since we have been led to believe (Weyoun's comments aside) that the Breen's preferred environment is not one that's conducive to most other life...
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well remember that at very cold temps that metal is rather weak. Maybe organics are the only way to deal with it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Probably true - which opens the possibility of a whole organics-based tech, wholly alien to what the Federation knows.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

One of the only other times we see Organic ships is 8472 which are insanely powerful so it seems as if it is just as good if not better than metal.

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I always think of House Orodos from the Dune video games in relation to the Breen and their Frigate. Anyone get me?
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

One of the only other times we see Organic ships is 8472 which are insanely powerful so it seems as if it is just as good if not better than metal.
These guys live in a dimension filled with water, they're hardly the best yardstick to judge things by.

By their very definition, organic ships will always be inferior to mechanical ship.

And do we have actual canon evidence that their ships are organic?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Tuvok,said that the breen use organic components
nothing else, so assuming hulls etc is not necessarily so
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Did he actually state that they only used organic components, and organic components only. Or did he just state 'they use organic components'?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

just the later, so might not mean organic,exclusively
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It's possible he meant 'organic components' in the sense that they use something like the Bio-neural packs Voyager used.
That makes the most sense.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It is still nice in my opinion to think of a more encompassing organic component - it adds to the "alien-ness" of the Breen.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

If they're using organic hulls then we can chalk up yet another stupid species - there's a good reason we use metal or ceramic armour to protect organic people, and that's because organic material is far weaker.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.