"Admiral" Janeway's worst screw-up?

Voyager
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't forget who sent them to Romulus in the first place.
:lol:
I forgot all about that! This is proof that Janeway is contagious.
It's the only explaination as to why the entire crew of Voyager were idiots.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Giving the blowjob that got her promoted to Captain.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I just got the hugest case of the willies that I've ever had in my life.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I just got the hugest case of the willies that I've ever had in my life.
Just as long as Janeway stays the hell away from MY willie, I'm okay. :lol:

I recall it being mentioned at least once that she was 'friends' with a bunch of admirals, which is why she got her own ship, and the eventual promotion to admiral. Since they seem to be a bunch of insane goofballs themselves, it stands to reason they would want to induct another dumbass into the fold.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Promotion to keep incompetants from endangering the troops further is a tried and true practice in the military. Part of that is probably what drove Janeway to the Admiralty. Especially after seeing the absolute cock-up that was her being stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Better her giving orders than continuing to inflict her on the galaxy and a ships crew.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They should lock her in a holodeck while she's sleeping, and keep her in some elaborate simulation where she makes all the important decisions in the Federation. Then, leave her there for the rest of her life.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Why is it that virtually all admirals are actually idiots/horrible people?
The only one I can think of who isn't is Admiral Hansen (from Best of Both Worlds)...

I mean okay - get rid of the duff captains and get them behind a desk to get them out of the way - but come on! There is a limit when the entirity of Starfleet's Admiralty are idiots... I think we actually just found out why the captains make all the decisions.

Criminals - Pressman, Leyton
Janeways - Janeway
Imposters - Quinn
Impolite/nasty - Paris, Nechayev, Bullock, Nakamura; even the future Riker
Psychotic/deluded - Norah Satie, Dougherty

Though Janeway manages to fit in all the above categories, I made a special one just for her.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Unfortunately, unlike "Kirk-ness," there is nothing positive about being "Janeway-ish."

In fact, I once dated a girl who was Janeway-ish, but her parents made her break up with me... they wanted her to only date other Janeways.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd call that a lucky escape. :P
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thorin wrote:Impolite/nasty - Paris, Nechayev, Bullock, Nakamura; even the future Riker.
I wouldn't class them as impolite (unless gripping someone who isn't doing their job properly is impolite), but a few of the genuinely competant military officers in Starfleet. A list you could also add Jellico to as well.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Thorin wrote:Impolite/nasty - Paris, Nechayev, Bullock, Nakamura; even the future Riker.
I wouldn't class them as impolite (unless gripping someone who isn't doing their job properly is impolite), but a few of the genuinely competant military officers in Starfleet. A list you could also add Jellico to as well.
But Jellico isn't an admiral :wink:

But they're just not generally nice people - Paris just walked round with a huff on, Nechayev held grudges against Picard, Bullock... Well we only saw Species 8472 version of him but it was quite accurate, Nakamura wasn't very nice to Picard (maybe we can let this one off), and Riker was even worse to Picard.
Why is it there aren't any competant and nice admirals?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thorin wrote:Why is it there aren't any competant and nice admirals?
Probably for the same reason that Picard wasn't friendls with his staff. It is very difficult to order your buddy to do something unpleasant - let alone potentially dangerous - no matter how necessary.
as Bull offed Custer
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Mikey wrote:
Thorin wrote:Why is it there aren't any competant and nice admirals?
Probably for the same reason that Picard wasn't friendls with his staff. It is very difficult to order your buddy to do something unpleasant - let alone potentially dangerous - no matter how necessary.
Picard was friends with his staff, maybe not as friendly as Janeway et al, but he was definitely friends. A lot of admirals were friends with Picard (he seemed to know virtually all of them on a first name basis), but even when they talked to him in private they weren't nice.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Thorin wrote:But Jellico isn't an admiral :wink:
Well, he becomes one in the New Frontier novels, but I was adding him to the list of competant officers rather than admirals.
But they're just not generally nice people - Paris just walked round with a huff on
He proved quite flexible in his appearences at Pathfinder, prepared to let Reg Barclay remain in Starfleet despite breaking into the lab and proceeding with an unauthorised experiment, and generally assuming a remote but relatively laid-back attitude to command.
Nechayev held grudges against Picard
When? The only time I recall her and Picard going head-to-head was in "Descent", after Picard passed up a golden opportunity to inflict aerious, possibly fatal, damage on the Borg ("I, Borg").
Bullock... Well we only saw Species 8472 version of him but it was quite accurate
How can we know whether the depiction of Bullock was accurate i we never saw the real one? Besides which, given the circumstances we saw him in (dealing with a serious breach of security, and an agent of a possibly hostile alien race running around) beeing somewhat hacked off would be understandable.
and Riker was even worse to Picard.
Who had ignored very strong advice to back off, and taken an unarmed ship into hostile territory to look for something that didn't exist.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Captain Seafort wrote: Well, he becomes one in the New Frontier novels, but I was adding him to the list of competant officers rather than admirals.
I never made a list of competant officers. The entire point is that it was admirals!
He proved quite flexible in his appearences at Pathfinder, prepared to let Reg Barclay remain in Starfleet despite breaking into the lab and proceeding with an unauthorised experiment, and generally assuming a remote but relatively laid-back attitude to command.
Besides all the stuff with his own son (virtually disowning him), he made a competant decision to let Barclay stay in Starfleet. Not one of compassion or nice-ness.
When? The only time I recall her and Picard going head-to-head was in "Descent", after Picard passed up a golden opportunity to inflict aerious, possibly fatal, damage on the Borg ("I, Borg").
Which she held an unprofessional grudge for.
How can we know whether the depiction of Bullock was accurate i we never saw the real one? Besides which, given the circumstances we saw him in (dealing with a serious breach of security, and an agent of a possibly hostile alien race running around) beeing somewhat hacked off would be understandable.
Everything else was very accurate, everything would suggest that Bullock was too. I never said he was hacked off, I said he just wasn't very nice - even before any of them meeting Chakotay et al, such as when he is giving people a tour.
Who had ignored very strong advice to back off, and taken an unarmed ship into hostile territory to look for something that didn't exist.
Again, this is after everything had happened. Before it had, he still wasn't nice towards him. Treating him as an old fool.