The Narada

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Narada

Post by Teaos »

I cant imagin the battle lasting to long. The Narada isnt indestructable.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Aye, so it probably didn't take the 47 all on at once. It was probably a case of engaging a system defence fleet (perhaps around 4 or 5), and destroying the reinforcements that the Klingons scrambled to the system bit by bit as they arrived.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

When Nero says "Fire everything!" we see about 25 torps in space chasing after Spock. Given that two or three seem to be enough to destroy a ship, that one barrage could easily take out 5 or 10 ships. So taking out 47 would still be a matter of minutes. I can't believe the battle with the Klingons lasted even a single hour; thirty minutes at the most.

We also know that Nero destroyed 6 Starships before the Enterprise arrived at Vulcan, and she was only a few minutes behind the fleet. It's clear from that that the Narada can destroy 23rd century ships at a very high rate.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

GrahamKennedy wrote:When Nero says "Fire everything!" we see about 25 torps in space chasing after Spock. Given that two or three seem to be enough to destroy a ship, that one barrage could easily take out 5 or 10 ships. So taking out 47 would still be a matter of minutes. I can't believe the battle with the Klingons lasted even a single hour; thirty minutes at the most.

We also know that Nero destroyed 6 Starships before the Enterprise arrived at Vulcan, and she was only a few minutes behind the fleet. It's clear from that that the Narada can destroy 23rd century ships at a very high rate.
I agree, Mr. Kennedy...the Klingon battle - a half hour, tops! And just think - if Sulu hadn't muffed the jump to warp, the Enterprise might've been one of those unfortunate six!
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well technically then it would be unfortunate seven but yeah.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

I don't see why people feel that a Trek mining ship shouldn't be respectably armed, especially if it isn't particularily fast. There are Ferengi ships out there! Maybe the occasional Klingon raid, lower tech indigionous races that don't agree with your right to mine their planet, and probably groups sorta like the Kazon. You need to be able to hold off at least those kinda threats. Especially since it seems reasonable such a ship would operate further out in the empire.

Think less modern cargo ships, where there aren't any credible threats bigger than a speed boat ,and more age of sail where classes of merchant ships like the East Indiamen were as tough as a low end Ship of the Line.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

He does have a point, it would be a good idea to have it armed in case of raids and such, especially if what it was carrying was very valuable materials.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

sunnyside wrote:I don't see why people feel that a Trek mining ship shouldn't be respectably armed, especially if it isn't particularily fast. There are Ferengi ships out there! Maybe the occasional Klingon raid, lower tech indigionous races that don't agree with your right to mine their planet, and probably groups sorta like the Kazon. You need to be able to hold off at least those kinda threats. Especially since it seems reasonable such a ship would operate further out in the empire.

Think less modern cargo ships, where there aren't any credible threats bigger than a speed boat ,and more age of sail where classes of merchant ships like the East Indiamen were as tough as a low end Ship of the Line.
Whoa! Sunnyside, you're alive! :shock:

Sorry, haven't seen you in a while.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Senior chief petty officer

Post by Avatar2312 »

Tyyr wrote:75,000 km? The moon is farther away than that.
It was during the chatter with Starfleet Command in the beginning, shortly before they polarized the viewscreen. One asked if it could be klingon and the response was that they were still 75000km away from the klingon border (probably a system that served as a border mark - but unlikely since suns moving through space with about 100000 kph).
Whoever finds errors in my English is welcome to keep them. I am Austrian.
steamrunner
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by steamrunner »

Tyyr wrote:75,000 km? The moon is farther away than that.
It was during the chatter with Starfleet Command in the beginning, shortly before they polarized the viewscreen. One asked if it could be klingon and the response was that they were still 75000km away from the klingon border (probably a system that served as a border mark - but unlikely since suns moving through space with about 100000 kph).
I told you sneaking that camcorder into the theater would pay off one day! Bravo! :lol:
"If? If my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle..."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

sunnyside wrote:I don't see why people feel that a Trek mining ship shouldn't be respectably armed, especially if it isn't particularily fast. There are Ferengi ships out there! Maybe the occasional Klingon raid, lower tech indigionous races that don't agree with your right to mine their planet, and probably groups sorta like the Kazon. You need to be able to hold off at least those kinda threats. Especially since it seems reasonable such a ship would operate further out in the empire.

If your mining inside your own territory any attack by a big power is a act of war and pirates dont seem to be that common in latter trek history. The space is to established.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.

Post by Avatar2312 »

steamrunner wrote: I told you sneaking that camcorder into the theater would pay off one day! Bravo! :lol:
Unlike many others I am able to remember a movie I like via "bioneural circuitry" in my head - also known as "brain" :P

And - of course - watching it 3 times in one week.

Post by Avatar2312 »

Teaos wrote: If your mining inside your own territory any attack by a big power is a act of war and pirates dont seem to be that common in latter trek history. The space is to established.
To quote a good sentence about definition of space:
"Space, is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly hugely mindbogglingly big it is. I mean you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space."

For example:

The Federation stretches over 8000 Lightyears (most likely diameter or largest extend from border to border) with about 150 member worlds and several thousand colonies. Within this diameter are probably 2 - 5 billion stars. NO WAY to keep an eye over this territory with a few thousand ships. Hell. Whole empires could reside inside "federation territory"and they wouldn't even know about them if they decide to keep a low profile. Not even with most advanced sensors. Emissions of any kind don't travel faster than light (that's one of the biggest nonsense in ST where they claim to scan that much lightyears in just a matter of minutes or so, or where they could bring a real-time view of a ship a lightyear away or so on screen), so it could be centuries before there is a measurable chance to detect them except for pure luck.
Last edited by Avatar2312 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But the boarder with the Klingons and Romulans only stretch a few hundred or maybe couple thousand light years heavily covered with sensors, this keeping track of enemy ships in your territory is pretty easy, not to mention the fact that its a act of war to attack a Federation vessel.

Yeah pirates dont have to worry about that, they just have to worry about being blown up by a vastly superior enemy.

* Pirates attack mining ship
* Mining ship sends SOS
* Federation vessel comes and curb stomps pirates
* Other pirates may think twice before attack mining vessels owned by big powers.

Post by Avatar2312 »

Teaos wrote:But the boarder with the Klingons and Romulans only stretch a few hundred or maybe couple thousand light years heavily covered with sensors, this keeping track of enemy ships in your territory is pretty easy, not to mention the fact that its a act of war to attack a Federation vessel.

Yeah pirates dont have to worry about that, they just have to worry about being blown up by a vastly superior enemy.

* Pirates attack mining ship
* Mining ship sends SOS
* Federation vessel comes and curb stomps pirates
* Other pirates may think twice before attack mining vessels owned by big powers.
What if the next federation starship is 2 ly away? Even at W 9.9 it would need about 2 days or so and its not really a great distance in ST
What if the pirates jam the radio?
What if the next vessel is just a filthy oberth class?
Pirating is always connected with risk. Nevertheless it was a problem in the past, is a problem today and will most likely be a problem in the future.

And it is also most likely that you don't mine worlds where you have good infrastructure and most of the valuable minerals have already been extracted. You search remote locations far off any known shithole of civilization, where really no one has gone before... ;)