Fun read

Everything else
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Fun read

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Things malfunction. Always have, always will. Personally I don't want my doors to malfunction in ways that result in bits of me becoming unconnected to other bits of me. My bits are fond of one another and enjoy the feeling of togetherness that they are accustomed to.

I most certainly would not want my doors to have that potential in order to save themselves, what, a whole whopping five seconds of closing time?

Of course your mileage may vary. But I for one am glad we do not live in the land of the killer doors.
I'm with Rochey, in an emergency on a spaceship especially a military one, reaction time is very important. And if that means that Joe Bloggins space beverage dispener repair man gets cut in half than TS.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Why? Why do you need to seal it immediately, rather than five seconds later? Five seconds is not going to make a huge difference to the amount of air you lose through a hull breach.

And if you really are that desperate to limit hull breaches, then you simply have slower closing doors and keep them closed during combat. That's exactly what the present day navy does. They don't go around installing killer doors.
You do have a point, the door on the APC's in the military do drop awefully slowly. Consider the point conceeded.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I'm with Rochey, in an emergency on a spaceship especially a military one, reaction time is very important. And if that means that Joe Bloggins space beverage dispener repair man gets cut in half than TS.
And I favour doors that are already closed nice and safely before the battle, and so even less prone to air loss. Sucks to be on the killer door ship I guess. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote: Why? Why do you need to seal it immediately, rather than five seconds later? Five seconds is not going to make a huge difference to the amount of air you lose through a hull breach.

And if you really are that desperate to limit hull breaches, then you simply have slower closing doors and keep them closed during combat. That's exactly what the present day navy does. They don't go around installing killer doors.
You do have a point, the door on the APC's in the military do drop awefully slowly. Consider the point conceeded.
It's an emotive issue with me. Two things that made me laugh out loud during the Star Wars movies, and one was the first time I saw one of those doors close.

The other was when little Bobba picked up his dad's helmet and looked all sorrowfully into the eyes, and I had a really strong mental image of his dad's head plopping out the bottom of it and sending the kid into hysterics. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Rochey wrote:Technicaly, we're talking about the Tantive IV rather than Endor. The commandoes on Endor were going for speed and stealth over protection.
Oops. My bad. :oops:

Found an image for Tantive IV.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Nutso wrote: I think it's possible that the Rebels prefer the hit-and-run guerrilla tactics considering their camouflage and no visible armor. They could prefer stealth and speed for ambush.
These are the troops we are discussing:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
It's an emotive issue with me. Two things that made me laugh out loud during the Star Wars movies, and one was the first time I saw one of those doors close.

The other was when little Bobba picked up his dad's helmet and looked all sorrowfully into the eyes, and I had a really strong mental image of his dad's head plopping out the bottom of it and sending the kid into hysterics. :)
Didn't the doors close slower in the later films?

I had the same mental picture in AOTC btw. :lol:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Those vests look no thicker than a fishing vest. Mind you that means little with SW tech.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Cpl Kendall wrote: I had the same mental picture in AOTC btw. :lol:
It would explain why Bobba grew up to be a little bit on the strange side. :)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

When I saw little Boba pick up Jango's helmet, I couldn't help but think that Jango's head was going to drop out. That would've been totally cool if Lucas would've done that. That helmet really had a grip on Jango's head.
Stan - South Park
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Those vests look no thicker than a fishing vest. Mind you that means little with SW tech.
Far as I know they're just regular vests. But with genetics maybe they're made out of spider silk or something.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Nutso wrote:When I saw little Boba pick up Jango's helmet, I couldn't help but think that Jango's head was going to drop out. That would've been totally cool if Lucas would've done that. That helmet really had a grip on Jango's head.
Actually it bounces out when it hits.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Monroe wrote:
Nutso wrote:When I saw little Boba pick up Jango's helmet, I couldn't help but think that Jango's head was going to drop out. That would've been totally cool if Lucas would've done that. That helmet really had a grip on Jango's head.
Actually it bounces out when it hits.
:shock: I sure am missing a lot of things today.
Stan - South Park
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oddly enough, I had the same idea when Boba picked up the helmet. Great minds think alike, I guess.

As for the Tantive IV guards, I withdraw the claim of them having armour of some sort. The vest they're wearing doesn't really look thick enough to do anything, and the picture Nutso posted shows them hanging open and loose, rather than being zipped or buttoned up. More like a jacket than armour, which isn't surprised when you consider they were just supposed to be glorified body guards instead of soldiers.
On another note, take a look at the guy who's third from the left. Anyone else see something odd there?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd say he's definately added post-production. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939