Voyagers path

Voyager
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Incorporating Borg tech into the E-E would be a terrible idea. For one, you would have a ship with components with unknown specifications. Who knows when you will find yourself in a unique situation where a Borg part will fail, or perform in some way you did not expect?

Secondly, who knows what nasty little surprises the tech might have for you? Perhaps the right combination of circumstances might set off some regenerating capacity and lead to Borg tech spreading and taking over the ship or something. Remember that when the EMH's mobile emitter got a few nanoprobes in it the result was a machine that produced a functional Borg drone within hours!

And thirdly, how do you replace the parts when they wear out or are damaged? You can't be sure that you can build replacements, after all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I don't think he ment incorporating actual Borg tech salvaged from when they were taken over so much as stuff they built themselves that they copied off the Borg.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

mwhittington wrote: That was the one with Leslie Nielson and the"id monster", wasn't it? That was an awesome movie.
Yep, the effects still hold up great today. Mainly because you never see more than a vague outline.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And it was the last time anyone saw Leslie Nielsen with dark hair. :lol:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just a bit off-topic: Did anyone hear that HAL was allegedly a pseudonym for IBM? Just switch each letter over to its neighbor (H is I, A is B, L is M).
I heard of that myself, though I think the director stated that it was just a coincidence when it was pointed out to him.
Last edited by Sionnach Glic on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mikey wrote:Skip Kubrick's amazing vision of 2001? For shame! Read the book AND see the film.

Both Forbidden Planet and Planet of the Apes were great. Don't forget When Worlds Collide and The Day the Earth Stood Still.
I've heard that they're remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote: I've heard that they're remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves.
So have I, not really to sure how their going to do it. The film was a commentary on the Cold War, so are they going to go the route of "if you don't stop terrorbombing yourselves, the other planets are going to destroy the Earth"?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

And why inflict Keanu Reeves on such a great film? That falls firmly onto the list of "films that don't need to be remade."

EDIT: maybe he'll play the robot. He's got almost enough range for that.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I've heard that they're remaking The Day the Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves.
I think he could do a ok job at this. Look at his lattest movie, the cop one, he did a good job there.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've tried sitting through 2001 a few times... but no. It's not a great film. At the very least, I simply don't like it. Boring, contrived, way too self-important...

And that stupid acid trip thing is just... stupid. And way too long.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

When it first came out the critics hated it. When they saw how popular it is they turned around and said it was a masterpiece.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:When it first came out the critics hated it. When they saw how popular it is they turned around and said it was a masterpiece.
How hypocritical of them. :?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Kubrick has always been an acquired taste. I can see how, if you're not "into" his style it could be off-putting; I just do happen to be "into" it.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dr. Strangelove pops into my head as a film a lot of people wouldn't "get".
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, 2001 is definitely an acquired taste.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"