Speed Racer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I think the Mach 5 looks bad ass, personally. It doesn't look like an electric shaver (to paraphrase Marv from Sin City), like most of the crap coming out of Japan, Europe, and more recently, the US. I miss cars with style like this: Chevy Bel Air

And this: GT40

Cars from the eighties onward have little in the way of style or class, with a few exceptions.
Awww...the classics. I wish cars still had style. Some still have a decent looks, but nothing like the stylish stuff back in the day.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:
And does the Thunderbirds TV series have anything to do with the demonstrator squadron?
No, it's an old TV show with puppets that go around saving the world. They had a pink Mercedes with machine guns and stuff in it, and a bunch of space ships and airplanes.
So, Sesame Street with guns? Please tell me that's a British show.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Rochey wrote:
And does the Thunderbirds TV series have anything to do with the demonstrator squadron?
No, it's an old TV show with puppets that go around saving the world. They had a pink Mercedes with machine guns and stuff in it, and a bunch of space ships and airplanes.
So, Sesame Street with guns? Please tell me that's a British show.
And todays show was bought to you by the letters S, I and G.

Can't believe you haven't heard of Thunderbirds. To be honest, it wasn't that violent.

Captain Scarlett however, now that was violent :)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:They had a pink Mercedes with machine guns and stuff in it, and a bunch of space ships and airplanes.
A Mercedes? A Mercedes? :shock: It was a Rolls Royce!
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:A Mercedes? A Mercedes? :shock: It was a Rolls Royce!
Is that Seafort Sarcasm? I can't tell. :?

Rolls Royce hasn't made anything but super-pretentious bullsh*t since the Merlin. Their engineering is top-knotch, but it's another example of "brand-name syndrome"; it's overpriced, status-symbol crap like Gucci and Prada.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I prefer Mercs or Audis's over Rollers...Rolls Royce are just to over-ostentatious. Bentley's are okay too. Even if it is a footballers car, i like the Continental GT
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Reliant121 wrote:I prefer Mercs or Audis's over Rollers...Rolls Royce are just to over-ostentatious. Bentley's are okay too. Even if it is a footballers car, i like the Continental GT
I'm just saying that if my car cost $500,000 dollars, it'd better be able to transform into a jet, or at least a submarine. For f*ck's sake there's already this: Gibbs Aquada, and it costs less than $100,000.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

thats only the base model too. I know My geography teacher was telling us about how much some posh toff in saudi arabia spent on his...£10 million apparently.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A Mercedes? A Mercedes? Shocked It was a Rolls Royce!
Ah, my apologies. :oops:
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I just saw this movie and it was the most fraking awesome thing I've ever seen. I was worried it was going to be a mockery of the series like the Hulk was, but it was totally true to the series' theme and I don't know how to describe the way the racing and background was done as anything other then awesome.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Did you here, they are redoing the Hulk. Not sequel, redoing.
Obviously they agree that the first movie was... um, poorly done.
BTW, haven't seen Speed Racer yet, just how good is it (ie, worth the money).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

stitch626 wrote:Did you here, they are redoing the Hulk. Not sequel, redoing.
Obviously they agree that the first movie was... um, poorly done.
BTW, haven't seen Speed Racer yet, just how good is it (ie, worth the money).
You know your movie sucked if they redo in the same decade.

And I'd say it's worth the money.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Apparently, it didn't do too well.
Speed Racer, starring Emile Hirsch and Christina Ricci, has officially bombed at the box office! The film took in only $6.6 million on Friday.

It's expected to only make around $23 million this weekend. In comparison, last week's Iron Man made around $100 million on its opening weekend.

Warner Bros. spent almost $200 million making Speed Racer ouch! Hopefully they make enough from merchandising and overseas sales in order to break even!
Source

Can't say I'm too surprised. I saw an ad for it there the other day, and I was not impressed.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:Apparently, it didn't do too well.
Speed Racer, starring Emile Hirsch and Christina Ricci, has officially bombed at the box office! The film took in only $6.6 million on Friday.

It's expected to only make around $23 million this weekend. In comparison, last week's Iron Man made around $100 million on its opening weekend.

Warner Bros. spent almost $200 million making Speed Racer ouch! Hopefully they make enough from merchandising and overseas sales in order to break even!
Source

Can't say I'm too surprised. I saw an ad for it there the other day, and I was not impressed.
What the hell? :? What was there not to like? I admit the story wasn't original (big coporation trying to buy out the family buiseness) and some of the hidden weapons the bad guys used were a bit out there(a beehive and a snake tossing weapon? That's silly even by my standards) but the rest of it was great. Kept to the original theme of the show, which can be rare with remakes. Not to mention the graphics were top of the line.

I'm betting a large part of the loss is the timing. They went up against Iron Man a week after it came out. Most people aren't going to go see two movies at theaters two weeks in a row. Not unless they got a lot of cash or something. If it came out mid-summer it probably would've kicked ass in the box office.