USS Equinox problem

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Wow four pages in one night again.
No - its purpose was to aid the infiltration of Starfleet to determine whether the Federation were a threat to them. They evidently weren't prepared to initiate an all-out war with the Federation based solely on Janeway's actions during their Borg war.
They were being cautious against the only enemy that has been shown to be able to stand up against them. The ability to turn someone into dust will make anyone think twice.

There is no doubt 8472 had every right to destroy the Borg out right. The Borg started it.

But the idea they would pack up and leave afterwards is far feteched.

We have the mind link quotes. The aggrssive nature (attacking Voyager unprovoked and destroying whole planets), all up it paints a pretty bleak picture.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I've been re-watching "In the Flesh." Just wanted to point out the captured "Ensign" (a member of 8472) screamed, when caught, "DON'T TOUCH ME! DISEASE!! HUMANS!!" before committing suicide.

Taken together with the comments about genetic integrity, I think 8472 regards other races as akin to vermin. A threat to their biological "perfection" in some way (either real or imagined.)

Becomes increasingly difficult to imagine such a race coexisting peacefully with any other race, Borg or not.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Don't you just love it when canon comes in and helps prove a point.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Just to save time due to location (the current time in England is 2:54 AM by my count):

" Wait, that's just one individual again. Even though he's not in battle, or waiting to begin a battle, he's amped up and afraid because he shape-shifted into Woody Allen's great-great-great-great grandson, and you can't take his response as representative of the whole race." - Future Rochey/Seafort.

EDIT: 1:54 AM, sorry.
Last edited by Tsukiyumi on Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Just to save time due to location:

" Wait, that's just one individual again. Even though he's not in battle, or waiting to begin a battle, he's amped up and afraid because he shape-shifted into Woody Allen's great-great-great-great grandson, and you can't take his response as representative of the whole race." - Future Rochey/Seafort.
What kills me is that if a member of a race threatened hostilities against Janeway and she chose to blow it off and didn't raise the shields or go to red alert and the ship got toe' up, they'd be lambasting her stupidity. But in this one particular case we are supposed to assign every possible stretch of extra leniency to a race that was blowing up planets.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would think that even if we got a Formal declaration of war from 8472 saying they want to wipe out life in the universe they would still find issue with it. Maybe 8472 have different tribes and by killing all of them be killing ones that have nothing to do with this.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:I would think that even if we got a Formal declaration of war from 8472 saying they want to wipe out life in the universe they would still find issue with it. Maybe 8472 have different tribes and by killing all of them be killing ones that have nothing to do with this.
*snickering*
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think the thing that best sums up this debate is...

We have direct quotes and evidence. They need to bend it and twist it to even make a half plausable explanation.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

We have direct quotes and evidence. They need to bend it and twist it to even make a half plausable explanation.
Rochey claims he's debunked all the evidence "100 times" and is getting rather exasperated with us.

Rochey, I like ya but sometimes you just back the wrong horse.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos: 4?

EDIT: I'm bad at math, it's been years since I took geometry, and I'm sick as hell. Cut me some slack...
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

If your asking what x is I think its 5. But being 6 years since I did real math...

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Dammit, you're right. I guess we should stick to things we know for certain...
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:If your asking what x is I think its 5. But being 6 years since I did real math...
I've already debunked that.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

We can't assume x = cheese whiz, either. I think we've stayed away from wild assumptions completely on this topic, but the point of restraint is a valid one.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Dusk wrote:Look up the term "double standard."
:roll:
Total rewriting of the episode.
How the hell is suggesting they just turn around a "total rewriting of the episode"? They went into that region, they could have left quite easily.
And the Borg were not defeated, and the area of space was still clearly Borg. It just had an invading army present.
That's like saying the Third Reich didn't control Poland after wiping out the military there.
Nevertheless if Tuvok touched aliens and his cells proved lethal to them, and said species then retaliated I have a feeling you'd say they were totally justified.
Wrong.
Sure, if they like to start wars and perhaps if their intent is to wipe out anyone who crosses their path.
By all means, show me how defending your territory aggresively is the same as being on a quest to wipe out all life in the galaxy.
They weren't justified at all.
For the last freaking time:
1) Voyager was in space 8472 controled.
2) Voyager was an armed ship.
3) Voyager had interfered with a military operation.

They damn well were justified in trying to take Voyager down. What part of this do you not understand?
If someone invades Saudi Arabia and fires upon the U.S. bases or personnell there, then THEY have committed acts of war on the U.S. Not the other way around.
If someone invades Saudi Arabia, and the US sends armed warships into the region and begins interfering in military operations and sending military personel into SA, then the invaders would be perfectly justified in opening fire.
Tsu wrote:The interpretation that their stated intentions, insane taste in art, and extremely aggressive attitude indicate a certain sociopathic doctrine.
The fact that every action they made in relation to other races in the DQ are totaly contradictory to this seems lost to you. Are they agressive? Yes. Are they violent? Yes. Are they on a quest to wipe out all life in the galaxy? No.
It is possible to be agressive, yet still coexist with other factions, you know.
The second incedent, however, seems to suggest that all of them felt that way.
Yes, they all responded the same. Suddenly. When Kes was messing with their brains. A certain amount of hostility is to be expected when someone starts raping your mind.
Really, isn't saying that 8472 isn't xenocidal (did I actually coin a phrase with that?) also a positive assertion?
No, it's not.
Xenocidal = positive claim
Not xenocidal = negative claim.
Proof must be provided for the first. If there is no proof, we default to the second.
They stated an intent to purge the galaxy,
No, one guy yelled it out in the middle of battle. I've pointed out numerous times how this is unreliable. How many times do you want me to point out the same flaws in it?
1) It was in the middle of a battle.
2) It was screwing with Kes' brain.
3) It was a soldier, not an ambasador or high ranking general privy to the campaign plans.
4) In the middle of a battle, agression is natural.
5) Why would he take the time to inform Kes of his race's plans in the middle of a battle?

Now, either adress those points, or stop using that quote as evidence.
Teaos wrote:We have the mind link quotes.
Both of which are unreliable, as I've shown.
The aggrssive nature (attacking Voyager unprovoked
Which was wholely justified.
and destroying whole planets
They were at war. Do you seriously expect them not to use the weapons they have?
Dusk wrote:Just wanted to point out the captured "Ensign" (a member of 8472) screamed, when caught, "DON'T TOUCH ME! DISEASE!! HUMANS!!" before committing suicide.

Taken together with the comments about genetic integrity, I think 8472 regards other races as akin to vermin. A threat to their biological "perfection" in some way (either real or imagined.)
Did it occur to you he may have been talking about a real disease? This is a completely different species he's just come into contact with. Such creatures would be briming with completely unknown and foreign micro-organisms. Remember what happened when smallpox hit the native US population? At least they were on the same planet, these are from completely different dimensions. When you see the effect their bacteria seemed to have on Harry, it's not surprising he'd freak out.
Becomes increasingly difficult to imagine such a race coexisting peacefully with any other race, Borg or not.
Despite the fact they were living right next to a whole myriad of alien races, you mean?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"