Pictures from the new TOS movie

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Pictures from the new TOS movie

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Quite true, but still. The E-Nill is pretty much the star of the show for the fans. Changing it to something that looks completely different would be both pointless and annoying.
Agreed. But they didn't change the layout, the design philosophy, or anything like that. So, the nacelles went from perfectly cylindrical to having a Russian dome. So, the texturing of the hull is different. One or two lights are blue instead of red. Not exactly sea-changes, IMO.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

None of those are serious problems. A bit odd, but not serious. It's the distorted ugliness that's the engineering hull that's the problem.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was actualy reffering to the concept art that was posted earlier, which looked nothing like the Connie.
I can live with the changes they made in the end. It looks mostly okay, apart from the engineering hull. Though perhaps that's just due to perspective. My only other gripe is the blindingly white interior of the ship, though again maybe that won't be a problem in the movie.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:I was actualy reffering to the concept art that was posted earlier, which looked nothing like the Connie.
Neither does the Trek XI design. Ah well, I can live with it so long as they don't try and pretend it looks same.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Captain Seafort wrote:Ah well, I can live with it so long as they don't try and pretend it looks same.
I'm not sure what you mean though - I mean, I think the differences between TOS and STXI are either accounted for by time travel or (more realistically, for stuff like starship design) probably just retcon. I don't think you're going to get your Spock vomit moment. :wink:
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It would be hilarious if Spock (the real one) made a comment like, "It didn't look like that."
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Agreed.......that WOULD be kind of cool.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

It would also be an acknowledgment of the original design.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Spock, to alt-Kirk wrote:This is not the Enterprise, you are are not Jim Kirk, and none of this was ever meant to happen.
Or something like that.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

One thing I'm unsure about. How would Nero's traveling back in time effect the way the ship is built?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

It depends when he travels back to. If it's years, or even deacades, before the Connies are designed then the Feds may well change the design based on the simple fact that a new heavily-armed ship has appeared, sensor scans of said ship, with its presumably much more advanced technology, or both.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Damn, I didn't even think of him going back BEFORE the Connie's were out. I just assumed it would be after it was launched. I'll feel better about things if that's what happens.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

even if not they could play it off chaos theory...a butterfly flaps it's wings in Brazil, a hurricane that would have hit Sout Carolina hit's New York.

just by being there Nero would change the quantom structure of every brain in the cosmos, hence a particular neuron might not fire which would have led to the orrigional design.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

Lt. Staplic wrote:just by being there Nero would change the quantom structure of every brain in the cosmos, hence a particular neuron might not fire which would have led to the orrigional design.
Well I'm so glad that the makers of STXI adhere to the infinite universes theory of time travel, and not to the tired old single-universe theory. People imagine that when you go back in time you need to be careful, lest you commit some dramatic action like killing your grandfather or stealing something, which would trigger a paradox and cause discrete changes in the future; but in reality, your very presence there, on a molecular or quantum level, would cause such paradoxes.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

though, not quite that big, that idea only covers minute, subtle differences unless Nero took some serious action that influenced the designers, but yes the old theory was enveloped by quantum physics.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.