Picards mistakes

The Next Generation
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Much of Greek history comes from poems and plays written as jokes or dramas or tragedies. Though I've never heard anyone complain about those, so then why not read the Bible or Koran.
Thats because greek history unlike the Bible does not get used to justifie stoning people to death and imposing stupid laws and ideals on other.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:Thats because greek history unlike the Bible does not get used to justifie stoning people to death and imposing stupid laws and ideals on other.
It did for the Greeks...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Not now which is the whole point of this debate kind of. Why are we letting some giant fairy in the sky rule us.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Based on my particular faith, at least, I have no desire or expectation for you to follow His guidelines if you don't want to. I choose to, but your decision is your own.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And I love people like you for it.

I think the world would be better with out religion but I know that is not going to happen for quite some time if ever.

So the next best thing is for everyone to have their own beliefs and leave it at that.

But then someone will say what about the peoples who's beliefs say they have to convert others... Tuff shit. Personal freedom trumps their personal beliefs.

My MAJOR problem when it comes to religion is when it leaves the home or the church and tries to influence things like politics and how I live my life.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:My MAJOR problem when it comes to religion is when it leaves the home or the church and tries to influence things like politics and how I live my life.
Religion and politics should be ordered to stay at least five miles away from one another at all times.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Another thing that should be keeped in check is BIAS. Yet reading the posts here (including one of my own and my good friend rochey) has proven to much for us here. Indeed, though I hate to say it. We, have behaved like.... (whispers) star trek writers....

Lets face it. I went through and read all the posts about faith or against it and what not. I saw a number of times where someone would say something and then someone else would question why they didn't say it. Its gotten very silly. Maybe there is a God, maybe not. Maybe he's a little green man from mars who started us all. Maybe we made him up. Maybe its just something greater then we can understand. None of us will know until we die. So be it, but I don't want to spend all of my life fighting over it. The catholics do that enough.

Oh rochey, you didn't know what side i was from. I am of the faithful. But i'm not a stuckup about it. Its weird to hear i'm sure but i am a conservative democrat. Yes, thats like a volvo with a gun rake or a ford with airbags.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good point. It's impossible to discuss something related to faith, or lack thereof (which is its own belief,) without relying on one's own opinion solely - and impossible for a person to NOT let that opinion color their view of other opinions.

Like the old joke says, "Opinions are like a**holes - everyone has one, and most of them stink." However, let me reiterate what Peabody said earlier, that it has bena pleasure to discuss this type of subject without anybody getting too heated, vicious, or mean-spirited.

I guess the final anlysis is, which side of Pascal's Wager would you bet on?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Yeah... I agree with Mikey and Deep on this. Most of the reasons people come up with, both for being religious and against it, are based mostly on tiny things, emotions and feelings and arguments, that wouldn't necessarily make sense to anyone else... but I'm okay with that. If we were all solely logical beings, then the world would be a pretty boring place. So I'll keep going to Church, and praying to God; and Teaos and Rochey will keep doing whatever it is they do...

As Mr. Spock would say, "Illogical..."

But whatever... :wink:
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If it were logical, it wouldn't be called "faith."

That's precisely why you can't convince someone who doesn't believe (or disbelieve) the way that you do.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah... I agree with Mikey and Deep on this. Most of the reasons people come up with, both for being religious and against it, are based mostly on tiny things, emotions and feelings and arguments, that wouldn't necessarily make sense to anyone else... but I'm okay with that. If we were all solely logical beings, then the world would be a pretty boring place. So I'll keep going to Church, and praying to God; and Teaos and Rochey will keep doing whatever it is they do...
Sounds good to me. :)

Hmm, is this now the longest thread in DITL? I know its certainly the most off-topic...
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:If it were logical, it wouldn't be called "faith."
"If it made sense it wouldn't be a hobby"
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Yeah this thread i think is our most off topic run yet.
Captain Peabody
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Captain Peabody »

Yeah this thread i think is our most off topic run yet.
Not necessarily.... concievably, this could relate to Captain Picard's mistakes, if we consider his religious views on of his mistakes...or something. Speaking of such, how exactly did you get on the subject of religion in the first place?
"Lo, blessed are our ears for they have heard;
Yea, blessed are our eyes for they have seen:
Let the thunder break on man and beast and bird
And the lightning. It is something to have been."

-The Great Minimum, G.K. Chesterton
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I don't know, i was gone for a week and when i came back it was this. :?