Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Defiant Class

Post by Praeothmin »

But one question is still unanswered:
Where did the Defiant stand in this conflict? :mrgreen:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

do you really believe the history books, that some how a bunch of farmers and trades men fought and defeated the dominant force in the world at the time....

It's obvious what really happened. Sisko and the rest of the crew were trapped in a temporal anomaly, they were ejected near Bajor in 1770 (earth time) they proceeded at high warp to earth to figure out what time they were in. when they discovered what was up, they originally decided to steer clear of earth to keep from contaminating the time line...however they then deduced that they were supposed to be there and that was the only way the colonists could successfully defeat the British, and after the end of the war the temporal anomaly that took them there appeared again bringing them back to (their) modern day.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Lt. Staplic wrote:do you really believe the history books, that some how a bunch of farmers and trades men fought and defeated the dominant force in the world at the time...
Actually, the history books show that the second most powerful nation in the world, with a bit of local support, drove the most powerful nation out of some of its colonies.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I assume that's a reference to the aid Franklin secured from the French during the Revolutionary War?

I'm sorry, I mean "that terrorist thing that happened in the late 1700's".
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:laughroll:
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tsukiyumi wrote:I assume that's a reference to the aid Franklin secured from the French during the Revolutionary War?
Exactly. While Arnold proved somewhat effective at Saratoga, it was the French (and Spanish, and Dutch, and most of the rest of Europe's) intervention that ensured our defeat.
Too vague - that could apply to the '98 as well as the American Revolution.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:I assume that's a reference to the aid Franklin secured from the French during the Revolutionary War?
Exactly. While Arnold proved somewhat effective at Saratoga, it was the French (and Spanish, and Dutch, and most of the rest of Europe's) intervention that ensured our defeat.
We sure dodged a bullet there. I mean, it must've been really tough to take out guys marching around in a green forest wearing bright red coats.
Captain Seafort wrote:
Too vague - that could apply to the '98 as well as the American Revolution.
Right, of course. My mistake. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

We sure dodged a bullet there. I mean, it must've been really tough to take out guys marching around in a green forest wearing bright red coats.
It is when said redcoats are better trained and armed than your civillian guerillas and have a massive advantage in numbers.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't know, man. There's certainly something to be said for guerrilla tactics vs standing in a line shooting at each other, and wearing a uniform the opposite color of your surroundings is a hell of a disadvantage. :lol:
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

So I guess that's where the tactics came from for the Redshirts:
The Redcoats... :happydevil:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Slight difference: no one's ever said that the redshirts' opponents "came on in the old style and were driven off in the old style". 8)

Besides, the British army learned quickly - the line infantry were better than anything the colonials could throw at them in open field, and for in country work we formed the 60th Foot - the Royal Americans, later amalgamated with the Rifle Brigade and a few others to form the Royal Green Jackets.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, good deal. It's always good to learn from mistakes. :wink:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Thing was that to many people look to this and think about winning the war. The Colonials didn't have to win. They just had to drag out the fighting. England had more important problems then a few colonies.
Tsukiyumi wrote:Well, good deal. It's always good to learn from mistakes. :wink:
They did learn and they did try to adapt. Problem was that England couldn't place the same numbers of guerrilla fighters as the colonials could. Not so much inside the main colonies but on the roads between them where supplies have to move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Lt. Staplic wrote:do you really believe the history books, that some how a bunch of farmers and trades men fought and defeated the dominant force in the world at the time...
Actually, the history books show that the second most powerful nation in the world, with a bit of local support, drove the most powerful nation out of some of its colonies.
I know, I was just joking around
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.