Sequels that are better than the original movie

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Serapha
Petty officer second class
Petty officer second class

Post by Serapha »

mwhittington wrote: Oh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time. :lol:
I'm not speaking to you ever again! *shudders* That's one of the worst atrocities it has ever been my displeasure to be forced to see. (And I was forced to see it over and over and over and over and over too, my baby sister was in that phase where she would watch a movie four or five times a day. *twitch*)
"I'm sorry, Penterian Fleet Command cannot come to the comm right now, all our personnel are currently tied up..."

www.bladespark.com It's cute and fuzzy, click at your own risk.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

mwhittington wrote:I'm surprised no one said Terminator II, yet! Easily surpassed the original. Also, yes, definitely Aliens, the soundtrack by John Williams was amazing, but he actually hated it with a passion. Oh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time. :lol:
I still prefer the Alien and The Terminator. The sequels may have been bigger and technically superior, but I like the charm of the originals.

Oooh, For a Few Dollars More - my fave of the Dollars Triology.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

kostmayer wrote:

Oooh, For a Few Dollars More - my fave of the Dollars Triology.
The best of them IMO. Lee Van Cleef was perfect in that movie.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Serapha wrote:
mwhittington wrote: Oh, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: Turtles in Time. :lol:
I'm not speaking to you ever again! *shudders* That's one of the worst atrocities it has ever been my displeasure to be forced to see. (And I was forced to see it over and over and over and over and over too, my baby sister was in that phase where she would watch a movie four or five times a day. *twitch*)
Serapha, if you've ever seen the first two, you'll realize it's the honest truth! It IS better than the drivel that is the other two. I mean, come on, the first one had Cory Feldman as the voice of Leonardo! That alone should give you full body shivers!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Hmm, let's see.

You'll have to forgive me, I'm something of a horror movie buff, so I'm sure this will elicit some eyerolling but:

Dawn of the Dead was better than Night of the Living Dead.

Friday the 13th, Part II was much better than Part I (And better than all the others after, too.)

I think each of the Harry Potter movies have gotten successively better, personally. I won't argue that a few of them didn't stay as faithful to the books as others, but overall they have been tremendously well done as far as novel to film translations go. A lot of people didn't like the most recent one, based on book five, but the real trouble there is that book five is where the story takes a really adult (and dark) turn which continues till the end of the storyline. I really liked that the film "grew up" compared to the ones before it. Book six and seven are so excellent that unless something gets severely botched, they should wind up being the best of the movies as well.

Star Trek: First Contact was significantly superior to Star Trek: Generations. And Nemesis was (IMHO) superior to both Generations and Insurrection. (Surprised no one mentioned that one!)

Not all, but an easy majority of the Godzilla films are superior to the original. :)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Do remakes count as sequals? Or are we going with sequals in the strictest of sense as being a continuation of the original story?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think we're going with sequals as in "this takes place afterwards".
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

He raises an interesting point though - see my new thread on the subject.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.