Sharing of Technology

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Teaos wrote:Their is no reason to assume the other bits would be that hard to make. The Kazon could have the basics of transporter tech from the Cardassian or from just picking it up randomly but they just dont have the computing power to make it function. That is what they needed. Infact if I remember clearly the Kazon specifically said that federation computers and replicators are the two things they really wanted.
see my last two posts above
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Keep in mind that since transporter technology existed in some form since the days of Enterprise (never mind it SHOULDN'T have existed back then), that the absolute minimum level of computer tech needed to run a transporter is well short of the Voyager standard.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

For that transporter yes the computing power needed was low. Maybe the type they had built with Cardassian help needed more.

The fact is they had the basics of it built and needed one essential bit that they apparently couldnt build themselves so we have to come up with a reasin why that is.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Teaos wrote:Their is no reason to assume the other bits would be that hard to make. The Kazon could have the basics of transporter tech from the Cardassian or from just picking it up randomly but they just dont have the computing power to make it function. That is what they needed. Infact if I remember clearly the Kazon specifically said that federation computers and replicators are the two things they really wanted.
see my last two posts above
See my posts about Seska. We can assume that being a former Cardassian spy/ Starfleet/Maquis engineer is sure to be smart enough to assemble a transporter's key parts. A good mechanic can build even a basic car out of scrap metel(assuming he had enough metel and equipment) however without a battery the car can't do very much.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

As I said, if the computers of the NX-01 were enough to run a transporter, than surely the Kazon's computers must have been up to running some sort of transporter, even if it wasn't up to the standard of Voyager's.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A computer capable of running a warp-capable ship (which they Kazon patently had) should be capable of running a transporter - see CPH's mention of the presence of transporters aboard the NX-01.

We all understand that the incident DID occur. I think the point we're trying to make is that it SHOULDN'T have been possible, and is thus an example of a poor thought process in the writing. We understand that there are ways to talk out of it; but we shouldn't be forced to.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:As I said, if the computers of the NX-01 were enough to run a transporter, than surely the Kazon's computers must have been up to running some sort of transporter, even if it wasn't up to the standard of Voyager's.
Just because someone has a gun doesn't mean they know how to load it. Clearly that module must have had the information to run a transporter system. Given enough time Seska could recreate it however I'm sure you're familiar with the phrase: good artists copy, great artists steal. I'm sure Seska and the Kazon were too impatient to waste time making their own control module and decided to steal Voyager's.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Whatever. The point remains that the whole episode is moot if the Kazon had all they needed but the control module.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Whatever. The point remains that the whole episode is moot if the Kazon had all they needed but the control module.
:? How does that make it moot? The Kazon needed it, Voyager had it, the Kazon stole it, Chakotay destroyed it, and Seska died before she could build a new one. The Kazon aren't very advanced, all their ships and technology seems to be stolen from the Trabe, and they may not have scientists. We haven't even seen a medic much less anyone close to a doctor or scientist of some sort. Makes sense to me. The only bad part is we had to rationalize it, which I find fun. It would be nice if we didn't have to do that but it's too late to change it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The Kazon aren't very advanced, all their ships and technology seems to be stolen from the Trabe, and they may not have scientists. We haven't even seen a medic much less anyone close to a doctor or scientist of some sort.
Then how in hell did they build all the OTHER transporter components?!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

The Kazon must have some sort of scientists/engineers since no one person (Seska) could have built an entire transporter from scratch in less than two full years, even if Seska oversaw the project. Really, if the Kazon had no tech people of any kind, they wouldn't be able to maintain their stolen technology and repair battle damage! If they had gone this far, it's inconceivable to me that they couldn't go further.

If Seska were the key, then Voyager should have gone after her to prevent her from sharing tech with the Kazon long before these events took place :!:
Jordanis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jordanis »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:If Seska were the key, then Voyager should have gone after her to prevent her from sharing tech with the Kazon long before these events took place :!:
Yeah, but Janeway is a twit.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

There's a difference between an engineer and a scientist. Sure I can maintain a car, but can I build an improved one from scratch? Or even design a better car(not counting interiors) for that matter. Seska could easily draw up plans, we know Cardassians are trained from a young age to have perfect recal, and being a spy, her skills could easily handle that. A team of engineers could build it then. Buildings are built from blueprints all the time without the designer's supervision. I've seen buildings finished in less then a year, I doubt upgrades to a ship would take over a year.

Why didn't they go after Seska then? 1) Janeway wasn't one for assasinations, 2) They would have had to fight a Kazon fleet to get her and Janeway wouldn't be willing to fight all that just to kill one woman.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Sure I can maintain a car, but can I build an improved one from scratch? Or even design a better car(not counting interiors) for that matter.
That's exactly what engineers do in the real world.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They could have been capable of building other bits of a transporter with out being able to build the key component.

Mechanical engineers and computer engineers ar two totally different fields. The Kazon could very well have decent mechanical engineers but shit computers. It was said their computers are not nearly up to federation spec.

The Cardassian had been feeding them info for ages and been with them for awhile. It is very possible she told them how to build the rest of it but the vital computing parts are far beyond her.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.